[HCDX] Logs for the last couple of hours

[HCDX] Logs for the last couple of hours

Report from:
Bogdan Alexandru Chiochiu
4190 Edward Higgins
Pierrefonds (Montreal's West Island), Quebec, Canada
H8Y 3M9
(514) 685-0714
Equipment:
MW: Sanyo MCD-S830 AM-FM boombox with ferrite bar antenna
SW: Sangean CST-818 with long-wire in our interior yard

Pan-American DX:

530 TURKS AND CAICOS,   Radio Vision Cristiana Internacional, South Caicos DEC 24 1003 - Acid Jazz remake of the Jose
Feliciano's Feliz Navidad Xmas classic followed by man with ID. Almost excellent at this time ! At 1047, pretty poor with preaching,
probably fading with T&C sunrise. (Chiochiu-QC)

555 ST KITTS,   ZIZ, Basseterre DEC 24 0245 - with calypso tune // http://pointers.audiovideoweb.com/asxfiles-live/nj45winlive9786.asx. Good to weak with very minor splash from the 550 which included poor residual CHLN, WEVD and probable YVKE with the radio perpendicular to the South-South-East. The more or less great great music was more pleasant to listen to and had a more exotic flavour on my Sanyo, than on the Net stream. I think the TP DXers found the island music more esthetic and with a bigger amount of local flavour in adjacent domestic splash than if they could hear Tahiti-738 over the Internet. + DEC 24 1002 - Caribbean English young male with apparent greetings. Poor, but with very minor 550 splash ! It's 6:02 in St. Kitts and Nevis ! My latest reception of them ! They are very regular this season. (Chiochiu-QC)

600 CUBA,   CMKV, Radio Rebelde, Urbano Norris DEC 24 0201 - Baseball game in progress in mix with WICC, // 670. (Chiochiu-QC)

660 MEXICO,   unID DEC 24 1006 - Ranchera songs, under residual WFAN. No ID, but it's my first XE reception on this often reported channel. XEs are very tough here ! WFAN was weaker and the Mexican signal was stronger with the radio oriented perpendicular to the E-W. Not much in the way of breaks, or they were burried by a still very strong WFAN signal. Not here anymore at 1058 re-check. (Chiochiu-QC)

670 CUBA,   CMBA, Radio Rebelde, Arroyo Arrenas DEC 24 1105+ - Feel asleep after my early morning DX session with Hacemos Radio here in and out, mostly in and often almost excellent. Time check at 1116 as 7:16 local time, then I feel asleep. I think they were still hanging in around 1200. Before I sleeped, they had news about Fidel Castro. At 7:19 (1119 UTC), just poor-strenght CINF overspills. (Chiochiu-QC)

750 VENEZUELA,   YVKS, RCR, Caracas, Distrito Federal DEC 24 0213 - Xmas news program, report from a correspondent about the Pope then a short bit of a Xmas YV tune. Often good with WSB nulled and some moderate CKAC-730 splatter. (Chiochiu-QC)

780 VENEZUELA,   YVNM, Coro, Falcon DEC 24 0221 - Apparent Latin music at a very weak level in WBBM null, but YVKS-750 also faded down at this time. I was buzzy recording YVKS for a taped report, so obviously missed some great peaks on the 2nd most regular YV here in Montreal. (Chiochiu-QC)

890 CUBA,   CMDZ, Radio Progreso, Chambas DEC 24 0311 - with a borelo. Almost excellent to very poor. + DEC 24 1055 - PSA inviting Cubans to meet the communist party for birthday of "47 años de la revolución". Good, faded out at 1059 and came back at 1003 at with fair reception about Fidel Castro. My latest reception of this station ! (Chiochiu-QC)

Trans-Atlantic DX:

585 SPAIN,   Radio Nacional de España, Madrid DEC 24 0233 - Man in Spanish. Extremely poor reception and soon faded completly away, but the only TA last night ! My first TA reception in almost two weeks ! (Chiochiu-QC)

Domestic DX:

750 unID, DEC 23 1718 - with the English version of "Nez Rouge" FF Xmas tune. Poor in next-to-adjacent splatter with WSB nulled (also weak, probably not completly dark in Atlanta yet). Not // local CBCs, so not CBGY-NF. Possibly Venezuela, but I'm more oriented toward a domestic daytimer in my thoughts. (Chiochiu-QC)

1070 WOKO, Sunbury, PA DEC 24 0722 - After I woke again, while trying unsusccesfully for KNX Los Angeles, heard "Newsradio 10-70 WOKO" here at a fair level with another weak station underneath. SIO 333; NEW ! (Chiochiu-QC)

1700 unID, DEC 24 2056 - Gospel music with lots of hallelujas and English announcer. Good peaks, lots of fadings. Tried to hear the Saul Chernos FF pirate, but nothing useful at all above them, just 2 or 3 weak traces of signals with powerline-like noises from the neighborhood. (Chiochiu-QC)

Shortwave DX:

6010 COLOMBIA,   La Voz de tu Conciencia, Puerto Lleras / MEXICO,   XEOI, Radio Mil, Ciudad de Mexico DEC 24 0959 - Woke very slightly before 5 AM with "Felix Navidad en Radio Mil" followed by jingle and music mixing with Bible reading from Colombia. Had José Feliciano's Xmas favorite at 1017 re-check at the same time another Mexican was received on MW this time ! General SIO of 222 for both of them. (Chiochiu-QC)

15300 FRANCE,   RFI to Africa, Issoudoun DEC 24 1315 - Nx followed by "Club Internet" pgm. SIO 454. (Chiochiu-QC)

17630 GABON,   Africa Numéro Un, Moyabi DEC 24 1313 - Soukous music; Fair, SIO 343. (Chiochiu-QC)

It was fun to DX the last couple of hours here on the West Island. I've almost finnished the YVKS-750 tape and I'll soon have my 3rd or 4th QSL !

It was nice to add WOKO to my MW logbook and it was nice too to be able to get my latest reception of both Cuba-890 and ZIZ-555.

I received last night a message from Saul Chernos alerting about a strong pirate on 1710, but nothing here. Still, I have two domestic unIDs on 750 and 1700 and I hope someone will be able to help with them. But the Saul's alert about TA hets prompted me to have my first TA reception in almost two weeks, so I'm glad I got it.

We are leaving for NYC on December 27, to be back on December 30. I always loved the NYC radio and looking forward airchecking WKTU.

As I talk about airchecks, I think it is VERY important to mention that Future Shop don't sell Maxell tapes anymore. We had to look for them at Bureau En Gros yesturday. Also, my local Bluckboster Video renting store is selling video tapes for as low as 2 Canadian $ and will discontinue in renting them in mid-January ! They will obviously only rent DVDs afterwards ! Seems like the DX era is unfortunatly almost finnished ! I wonder if the article I wrote about IBOC about a month ago has received some attention. I also see that IBOC is more and more going toward nighttime operations on the actual DX unfriendly 10 kHz channels from 530-1710, instead of occuping more spectrum with a station each 60 kHz or so for less interferences. Sad ! Listening to the radio stations, news and great music over the Internet, the cable or local radio has nothing really challenging. Where's the challenge ? What kind of challenging and incredible hobby, will you choose will IBOC trow the AM broadcast band into an awful mess ?

But, I'm always the optimist saying that the adjacent channel Latins will be so disturbed by the IBOC hash, that they will be upping their tx power to say 500 kW, so there will still be some DX for a young enthousiast like me in the next couple of years.

Another highlight recently is that I was able to find a position where Venezuela is even stronger than usually and WSB is almost completly nulled, with the radio perpendicular to the South-South-East. The WSB co-channel interference is therefore much less problematic and if I'm tolerant to the 20 kHz CKAC het, I will be able to conitously DX this station on New Year's Eve when RCR is having really great music. Let's hope Latin condx still half-decent for the evening of December 31 !

Thank you very much for your help regarding the unIDs and happy holidays to you and all your family, friends and girlfriends !
Be the good DX stuff with you !
Bogdan

World Radio TV Handbook 2006 is out.