Report from:
Bogdan Alexandru Chiochiu
4190 Edward Higgins
H8Y 3M9
Pierrefonds, Quebec, Canada
(514) 685-0714
Equipment:
Sanyo MCD-S830 w/ ferrite bar antenna
Sangean CST-818 w/ the encoding cable connected to one end in the ext. antenna jack and the other end mildly connected to some speakers to which I also connected the long-wire we have in our interior yard

530 TURKS AND CAICOS,   RVC, South Caicos JAN 3 2249 - Spanish religion; pretty good at this early time ! (Chiochiu-QC)

555 ST KITTS AND NEVIS,   ZIZ, Basseterre JAN 3 2246 - English talk by a man squeezed between WEVD-550 (with CHLN nulled) and the 560 mess at very poor levels. (Chiochiu-QC)

585t SPAIN,   RNE, Madrid JAN 4 0203 - at extremely threshold level with some slops from CFRA-580 and WEZE/CKRS-590 cuaght what sounded like the RNE news jingle. This was, surprisingly, the only TA reception for me the past night, in spite of several West Coast reports from center-northern European DXers. (Chiochiu-QC)

670 CUBA,   CMBA, Radio Rebelde, Arroyo Arrenas JAN 4 0003 - "en Rebelde", nx. Pretty good with growl from a QRM source in our neighborhood, in WSCR null. (Chiochiu-QC)

750 VENEZUELA,   YVKS, Radio Caracas Radio, DF JAN 3 2250 - greetings to "nuestros amigos" (a probable reference to the friendly listeners) followed by Informe RCR. Good peak at 2251 ! My earliest reception of this station ! Faded and came-back after 2300 with economical talk program. With WSB nulled, the QRM is from next-to-adjacent CKAC, so for the clearest and most pleasant reception, I have to wait for WSB to fade and / or for this to became strong. (Chiochiu-QC)

760 COLOMBIA,   HJAJ, RCN Cadena Basíca, Barranquilla JAN 4 0157 - Ads followed by music program. Poor last night with flutter, but WJR was quite easily nulled. (Chiochiu-QC)

890 CUBA,   CMDZ, Radio Progreso, Chambas JAN 3 2238 - Bolero song followed by radio drama. Already fair with minor WCBS splash at this early hour ! Very surprising ! (Chiochiu-QC)

1330 UNITED STATES,   WRCA, Boston, MA JAN 3 2303 - Ads, mostly for restaurants, one of them had "La mejor friptura en Boston" followed by sports program. Mostly excellent, local-like ! This isn't really rough, but my best reception of them in quite a while ! (Chiochiu-QC)

6000 BULGARIA,   Radio Bulgaria, Plovdiv JAN 3 2010 - Presumed w/ slavic talk. My 2003 PWBR do not show Russia at this time here, but things may has changed since. The next time I hear this I will listen with my girlfriend. In any event, it's only my third station I rember having heard on 6000. RHC pretty much block that channel and I heard Brazil here once or twice. (Chiochiu-QC)

6010 UNITED STATES,   Radio Republika; clandestine JAN 3 2008 - talking about the potential danger of Hugo Chavez to the United States and also item regarding Castro, in English. Is Radio Republika an ENG or SP station ?

7160 GABON,   RFI relay, Moyabi JAN 3 2001 - Political news, SIO 322 w/ heavy interference from adjacent ham. Readable only in AM narrow mode where the QRM could be reduced a little bit. I see this station came from the same town as Africa Numéro Un. (Chiochiu-QC)

7255 UNITED STATES,   W2LLQ, Chester, NY JAN 4 1558 - also giving the temperature for his QTH; other hams here as well. (Chiochiu-QC)

Last evening began with some extremely early Latin American receptions, even though the opening wasn't really good. I was surprised to hear Cuba way before 1800 EST, since Cuba is SSW from Montreal and the more western directions (and southern ones too at this time of the year) weren't experiencing sunset yet. This leads to a question: what is the earliest reception time of a Latin American station in North America or Europe ? Have Cuba and especially Venezuela been logged ever before 2200 UTC (1700 EST) ? I'm especially curious as far as European DXers go, since they are much more able to pick up high-band Latins which escape D layer absorption much earlier, what is the earliest audio record out of Vibración 1470 ? Has anyone ever received Vibración audio before 2200 UTC ? I already asked this question a few weeks ago, but got no answer.

Last, but not least, I'd really like to know on what kind of shops, can I find the 2006 PWBR or especially the WRTH ? My 2003 PWBR is becoming a tiny bit obsolete.

Thank you very much !
Be the good DX stuff with you !
Bogdan Chiochiu

World Radio TV Handbook 2006 is out.