[HCDX] Pacific Radio Heritage News #9

---------------------------------
***Pacific Radio Heritage News***
---------------------------------
***January/February 2006*** Issue No.9
---------------------------------

1. Happy New Year and Happy Chinese New Year! Quite a few people are
getting this newsletter for the first time, so welcome to you. In
this issue, you'll read about new radio projects in New Zealand and
Australia, new US Armed Forces Radio material, get updates on new
content at www.radioheritage.net, read about how your donation may
entitle you to a free Australian Vintage Wireless Medallion set
valued at US$495, and no matter what your involvement
with radio may be we hope you'll find something interesting. We cover
the whole Pacific, so sometimes your region or specific interest may
not feature in our news.

2. 'Heritage' doesn't have to be old to be important! In the past
decade, New Zealand has allowed anyone to set up a low power FM radio
station without applying for a license. These have mushroomed, and
come and gone so fast that no-one has known just what happened! We've
set up an LPFM Project to record and inform about this contemporary
radio scene. The first stage has identified 375 separate stations and
over 1500 separate frequencies used during this period.

3. The second stage is now underway. We need a partner to support
this project, and at this early stage, we can work together to put a
very nice package together for our mutual benefit. If you think this
sounds interesting, please email us at info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx for
more information. This may suit a New Zealand based partner.

4. Australia celebrates many radio anniversaries in 2006. Our 'Long
Lost Australian Radio Stars' series continues soon, with some 50 more
to come throughout the year. We've changed the next three in the
series to cover 2AY Albury [The Border Station], 4BU Bundaberg, and
7HO Hobart. Radio 2AY was 75 years old on December 17 last year, 4BU
was 70 years old on December 16, and 7HO 'Hobart's Original' turned
75 in June last. These stories are always amongst our most popular.

5. You can help with the 'Long Lost Australian Radio Stars' series in
two very specific ways. First, we need someone interested in
Australian radio who will convert the 50 stories from scans of text
and images into digital versions. You'll need basic software to help
convert the sans into digital format, and patience to check each word
in the digital version against the scans. On completion, you send the
digital version to us for layout completion and we then bring them
on-line. Please email us at info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

6. Secondly, we need a partner interested in helping celebrate
Australian radio heritage. You'll have exclusive rights to partnering
the whole series, and opportunities exist for an off-line Art of
Radio Australia exhibition to tour Australian centers. We can create
a nice package with you for our mutual benefit. Send us an email to
info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx if this sounds interesting.

7. This month is the 65th anniversary of the real start of US Armed
Forces Radio. It all began in Sitka, Alaska in February 1941. You'll
find a guide to AFRS Alaska is now on line at www.radioheritage.net,
including some rare early images from our collections. You'll also
read about the 'Suggestive Sounds of WVUG Anchorage', it's something
to do with female telephone operators is all we'll say! As well, we
dug up photos from the vault of WXLJ Cold Bay back in 1946. Coming
soon, you'll enjoy the story of KODK Kodiak, and some rare images of
a local 'hillbilly music' show behind the KODK mike.

8. From the Mosquito Network, we've added 'WVUV Radio Romance' which
tells the story about Homer Willess and the beginnings of
broadcasting in American Samoa in 1943. A couple of records, a small
turntable and young Homer gave birth to WVUV, and found his
sweetheart. In Homer's own words, and exclusive to
www.radioheritage.net. And coming soon, a tour of radio towers in
Pago Pago for those who like to scale vertical heights!

9. Adrian Peterson continues his monthly columns. Already on line is
a wartime visit to radio studios in Adelaide, South Australia. Behind
the barbed wire and sandbags, young Adrian had remarkable access to
these stations, and from his personal collection you'll enjoy great
images of old logos from 5KA, 5AD and more. Coming up soon is his
next column, about Early Australian Radio. We've called it 'From
Shows to Boats' and you'll discover why on line shortly.

10. Other new content includes: details about the Children's Art
Competition as part of the Art of Radio Japan Exhibition; new media
releases you can use, a full site Google Search engine and more.
Coming soon we begin our new serial about 2KY Sydney, introduce a
guest column from the founder of Radio Chomsky FM, update the PAL
list of Asian and Pacific AM radio stations, add the new PAL list of
Asian and Pacific shortwave radio stations, begin our new series of
'Long Lost Radio Images', take you on an insiders tour of VU2ZP
Bangalore in 1945, more vintage radio stories, and much more.

11. As a thank you for reading this far, and for supporting our
non-profit charitable organization, we've got something for you. We
have a small number of the beautiful Australian Art Deco Wireless
Medallion sets we're going to give away. These are valued at US$495
each and only 300 sets were made. You can read all about them at
www.radioheritage.net. We will send a FREE set to the 20th, 40th,
60th, 80th and 100th persons who make a donation of US$25 or more via
our Paypal donation button at www.radioheritage.net. We accept Euro,
Yen, Canadian $ and Pounds Sterling equivalents as well. The Radio
Heritage Foundation is a registered charitable trust in New Zealand,
and donations help keep the site free for access to everyone.

12. A small advert. Our on-line bookstore at www.radioheritage.net
has a good range of top selling and popular radio books, including
vintage and classic radio books, amateur radio, media studies, radio
handbooks, station stories and much more. These Amazon sales give us
a small commission to help our projects, so please use this service
when you can. And, remember our Google Ads can offer great deals and
good information, so click on ones that look interesting!

13. Our FREE database services currently include Bruce Portzer's PAL
Guide to Mediumwave stations in Asia-Pacific with 4300+ entries [new
update scheduled shortly], and the NZ @ A Glance Guide which lists
all AM stations, brand names and radio markets. These will expand
further in 2006.

14. News you can use: Wayne Mac's fantastic new 400 page book 'Don't
Touch That Dial - Hit's 'n' Memories of Australian Radio' is just
out. Order yours now from www.waynemac.com. We hope to have our
review copy available shortly.......a colorful 2006 calendar
featuring rare radio images over the decades is now available from
our friends at the Rhein-Main Radio Club in Germany. Visit
www.rmrc.de for sample images and ordering information........Radio
New Zealand has a smart new website for National Radio, Concert FM
and Radio New Zealand International. It's at www.radionz.co.nz and
includes audio on demand, streaming, news and program details.......

The Radio Heritage Foundation is an independent registered non-profit
charity. With help from people like you, we preserve and promote the
rich heritage of Pacific radio. We have two fulltime equivalent staff
who have committed their own funds to maintain the site, research,
arrange exhibitions, protect old radio sites and materials and
co-ordinate volunteers for two years. Whether you're in 'the radio
business', enjoy listening to Pacific radio, have personal links to
radio people and stations, or just enjoy reading our growing range of
content, we're grateful for your support and encouragement.

Your comments and suggestions are always welcome at
info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx If you have friends and colleagues who you
think would like to be added to our mailing list, please forward this
newsletter to them with our warm invitation to visit
www.radioheritage.net and click 'Membership'. Thank you!
mailing address is PO Box 14339, Wellington, New Zealand. Other
contact options are at www.radioheritage.net.

World Radio TV Handbook 2006 is out.