[HCDX] Pan-American logs for the evening of March 2 (March 3 UTC)

Hello to all of you !

It's been a long time, since I last wrote in English, but since my English is slightly better than my Spanish (my SS is not bad, but not quite as good as my EE) and not all of you are fluent Spanish readers, I thought I could alternate between the two.

First of all, it WAS a mistake regarding the blood tests. I beated that damned masochistic cancer ! This means that during the rest of this almost ending season after I get back from Cuba (see below) and the off-season when the fall and winter months hits deep-South America for not very likely, BUT POSSIBLE reception of "presents" such as LR1 Radio El Mundo 1070 Buenos Aires and Cadena Ñanduti 1020 (Paraguay) as well as the coming tropo and sporadic-E FM band season, I WILL BE there at the dials.

Another news of great importance is that I will have my first hedonistic "job" (not a real job, but almost !): I wroted an article regarding to help DXers realise the beauty and interest in DXing Venezuela and the easiest half of it's 24 "estados" and I will earn almost 300 CANADIAN dollars, thanks to an article in Monitoring Times ! Really awesome, especially since a few occasions when I was an NRCer and contributed to the International DX Diggest, the editors erased the name of the states on some of my logs reports dealing with YVs !

Last, but NOT least, of course, probably the news with the biggest importance right now and during the following week is my trip to Camagüey. I will check a map very soon, but I'd really appreciate if someone could point me where Camagüey is located and what the FM band sounds like from the city. I know FM isn't very developped in Cuba, except perphaps in Havana, so TEP must be relatively easy, except I think it is not that far from the northern limit of TEP skip, still some DX might get through from deeper regions of South America. Aside from the DX, I except some meeting with the local girls and some shopping, especially music related. I know someone who lived 6 months in Cuba and life isn't that tough. The society seems more hedonistic than in the Romanian communist era.

Last night wasn't a really interesting night for Pan-American DX, though I had fun listening to ZIZ and Radio Progreso. Aside from some calypso crap, they plays some awesome reggae, ragga, dancehall and soca melodies. Radio Progreso is a station I listen since several years, since I begun DXing the MW Latins in Oct. '00, but it's the first time this season I get ZIZ and Radio Coro (not heard last night, but...) so regularly. It's hard to explain, since the propagation is so complex ! While solar activity and aurora improove the readibility and the reception of many southern domestics, Caribbean, Latins and for a very few of you such as Mark, Afros, because of less co-channel interference from closer high-latitude "pests", quieter solar conditions can, on a few occasions, enhance reception of stations toward ALL the directions, EVEN TOWARD THE SOUTH !

Other stations were also coming in, but I only listened on 555 and 890. The only South American was an extremely poor with equally poor residual WJR (almost completly nulled !) reception of RCN Barranquilla, Colombia on 760, nothing from the land of Bolivar (it was unusual to get nothing, not even the usual Venezuelans on 750 and 780) and, like almost always, no other Colombians.

Into the logs of this two signals:

555 ST KITTS AND NEVIS,   ZIZ, Basseterre MAR 3 0155 - Caribbean chatting between the DJ and the listeners with pretty strange sounds from problems with the phone, followed by back-to-back melodic and melancolic reggae tune. One of the soungs (played around 0222 UTC) had just the reggae beat, but the melody with typical of Guadelupean zouk-love, the same feeling as with zouk-love (i.e: Sonia Dersion, Celia Delver and other similar ones). Good with deep fadings, but an overall acceptable reception. The CHLN-550 splatter was completely nulled ! SINPO 44423. (Chiochiu-QC)

760 COLOMBIA,   HJAJ, RCN Cadena Basíca, Barranquilla MAR 3 0227 - 1 or two mens with announcements, sounded like commercial ads. Very poor, with residual WJR almost equally poor, because it was nulled of course (not all the persons in my distribution list know how AM broadcast band DX works). SINPO 12411. (Chiochiu-QC)

890 CUBA,   CMDZ, Radio Progreso, Chambas MAR 3 0303 - with bolero mx px until 0315 when had announcement followed by a radio drama about nightlife for a family. Quite tired for concentrating on a language I'm not extremely fluent, but picked up "casa" and "noche", as well as what sounded like as a discussion between family members. I only consider myself really fluent in French and Romanian, though my English is very good and my Spanish quite good. I also know bits and pieces from at least 5 or 6 other languages including a very few words in Dutch ! SINPO 33333 (Chiochiu-QC)

Bogdan Alexandru Chiochiu
DX'ing from home QTH in Pierrefonds on Montreal's West Island in QuebeC

Finally, I added details of the Colombian reception, though like I said South Americans were more or less inexistent.

May the good DX be with you !
Bogdan
"¡ Es el hedonismo que cree la motivación en la vida ! Sin ningun placer, usted no puede tener ningun gusto, ni sentido a la vida, solamente una vida basíca y odiosa."

World Radio TV Handbook 2006 is out.