[HCDX] Radio Canada International: 60 Years of Radio Worldwide

>From the RCI website:

As we mark the 60th anniversary of Radio Canada International, I'd like to
congratulate and thank all RCI staff-from the service's early pioneers to
its present-day contributors-for their work, vision and passion. I'd also
like to thank Internet users from all over the world who visit our website
each day to listen to our programs, read our reports and consult our global
databank, a formidable research tool containing over 20,000 links to nearly
200 countries.

I invite you to visit our special 60th anniversary section which was
produced by the CBC Archives Website team in collaboration with RCI staff.
It contains a wealth of radio and TV clips-with different selections in
English and French-that look back at the landmark events of the past 60
years on RCI. Journalists like René Lévesque and Peter Gzowski as well as
personalities Andy Warhol and Wayne Gretzky are just a few of the stars of
yesteryear you'll be able to see and hear again. Be sure not to miss this
fascinating walk down memory lane!

Jean Larin
Executive Director
Radio Canada International

At http://archives.cbc.ca/IDD-1-69-1598/life_society/rci/ there are various
archive news features.

In February 1945, the "Voice of Canada" spoke to the world for the first
time. The CBC International Service was founded to broadcast to Armed Forces
overseas in the Second World War. At war's end the radio service focused on
telling the world about Canada in over a dozen languages. Despite budget
cuts and critics who accused it of employing communists or operating as a
government mouthpiece, the service now called Radio Canada International has
persevered. CBC Archives looks back on RCI's 60 years on shortwave.

1.Broadcasting to the world - The International Service of the CBC launches
with an address from Prime Minister Mackenzie King. (Radio; runs 10:57)

2. A signal from home - The shortwave service brings news to Canadians
overseas after the Second World War. (Radio; runs 5:16)

3. René Lévesque reports from Korea - An International Service correspondent
entices the Korean Army to sing for him. (Radio; runs 1:55)

4. Broadcasting behind the Iron Curtain - The shortwave service goes to
great lengths to reach listeners in communist countries. (TV; runs 12:10)

5. Rawhide salutes the shortwave service - Max Ferguson takes a comical look
at the "voice of Canada" on its 15th anniversary. (Radio; runs 19:48)

6. Internal scrutiny and External Affairs - Have there ever been communists
at the International Service? (Radio; runs 9:01)

7. Warhol paints Gretzky - Sports fans and art collectors unite! RCI reports
on a gallery opening featuring Andy Warhol's portraits of the Great One.
(Radio; runs 3:12)

8. RCI responds to China in crisis - Chinese broadcasts are rushed to air
after the massacre in Tiananmen Square. (TV; runs 2:09)

9. On the chopping block - Staff and listeners defend the shortwave service
as extinction seems certain after a cut in funding. (TV; runs 5:57)

10. Last-minute reprieve - A new funding formula gives RCI another year on
the air, but there are no promises beyond that. (Radio; runs 5:43)

http://archives.cbc.ca/IDD-1-69-1598/life_society/rci/

World Radio TV Handbook 2006 is out.