[HCDX] Logs

All times/dates GMT.

1620 FLORIDA "WBUL" University of South Florida, Tampa; 1700+ 25 March, 2006.
Noted very strong while at the Museum Of Science & Industry (across the street
from USF), as well as all over the campus, with live DJ, rap music, ID's.
Signal audible to about a mile or so south of the campus.  Carrier current(ish)
operation that's been active for years, though I've never thought to log it
until now, at least as far as I can recall.

5009.82 DOMINICAN REPUBLIC Radio Cristal Internacional, Santo Domingo;
0006-0007* 26 March.  Tuned across the channel only to catch the vocal national
anthem, off.  Fair.

6687.99 ZIMBABWE ZBC; 0025- 26 March, 2006.  Nice local pop/highlife fusion
vocals, mostly nonstop.  Canned "Radio Zimbabwe" by cheery man over music bed.
Thanks Ed Rausch III tip, via Bob Wilker.  Any particular reason (other than the
usual sloppiness) the WRTVH-2006 doesn't list Zimbabwe in the country table, or
even their first update in January?

9504.80 BRAZIL Radio Record, São Paulo; 2350-2359 25 March.  Fair with soccer
coverage, commercials. Blocked by WYFR sign-on at 2359 (and announcing 11720 and
9715 only).

95.3 MHz FLORIDA W237CW (WJIS, "The Joy FM" translator), Pinellas Park; sadly,
this one is now active, blocking another semi-open channel locally.  Fair signal
at the QTH.  Of course, the main 88.1 MHz signal blankets all of Tampa Bay, but
"The Joy" continues to add a slew of these things across the region.

96.3 MHz FLORIDA (PIRATE) unidentified, Tampa; the Haitian kreyol noted strong,
stereo with nonstop vocals while in Tampa today, March 25, 2006.  Signal really
bumps up in the Waters and Hillsborough area, seems to be located roughly SW of
Busch Gardens.  Didn't have my equipment with me today, otherwise I'd have tried
to DF this one.

Anyone know if the old Blaw-Knox towers on the Gandy Causeway (between St.
Petersburg and Tampa) are being disassembled, as I've heard was scheduled to
happen?  Driving past these today, March 25th, I saw a lot of equipment (no crew
working on a Saturday), and big pieces of tower grids on the ground beneath the
south tower, seemingly from the tower judging by the odd, non-parallel
appearance as I approached from the east. If so, let it be known I may have been
the last person to photo document the towers in their original state a the late
last year.  Hmmm, I also have one brick from the front of the original (now
crumbling) WSUN block house located next to the north tower which happened to
find its' way into my car that day.  Could this be eBay material?  And -- if
dismantling is happening -- does this affect the 620 kHz WDAE pattern?  A
classic Tampa Bay skyline that's been around all my life will disappear once
these are down.

Terry L Krueger
Clearwater, Florida
USA
27.55.83 N, 82.46.08 W

Visit my "Florida Low Power Radio Stations" at:
http://home.earthlink.net/~tocobagadx/flortis.html
                        or:
http://www.geocities.com/geigertree/flortis.html

World Radio TV Handbook 2006 is out.