[HCDX] Interview with K.S. Sarma, CEO of Prasar Bharati, India.

FOCUS: PRASAR BHARATI

Challenges before a public broadcaster

How would you assess Prasar Bharati's performance in
2005?

An eventful year, as revenues crossed the
Rs.1,000-crore mark for the first time in its history
to close the year at Rs.1,238 crores. This is
approximately a 50 per cent increase over the previous
year. It is true that revenue alone is not the right
yardstick to measure the performance of a public
broadcasting network but the point that more internal
revenue would result in more funds for programming
cannot be missed.

Both Doordarshan and All India Radio are trying to
make themselves seen and heard more among people and
that, I feel, is a good sign of some aggressiveness.
We also have TAM [Television Audience Measurement]
data that indicates Doordarshan's (DD) viewership in
cable and satellite homes has grown by 18 per cent in
one year. What's satisfying is that such growth has
not come for any other single channel in the same
period.

However, the progress also signals that we'd have to
work harder to keep the momentum going, which is the
tougher part of the game. Especially when an
organisation such as Prasar Bharati is put under the
scanner for even the smallest of things. We are
criticised continuously for not living up to the image
of a public broadcaster, on the other hand, the
organisation is also expected to be self-sufficient.
But that, I presume, is part of Prasar Bharti's life,
which always has so much potential and still continues
to do so.

What are the challenges before Prasar Bharati in the
context of satellite TV being the pre-dominant medium
of entertainment?

We are looking at the issue of improving our content,
especially on DD channels. This, we have to do keeping
in mind Prasar Bharati's role as a public broadcaster
that has to provide wholesome entertainment to the
masses of India. The task is not as easy as many will
think it to be. For example, DD has strict programming
codes, which forbid it from airing many types of shows
that are staple for satellite entertainment channels.

Another challenge is to do efficient marketing of our
programmes, which used to be outsourced. From this
year we have decided to do our own marketing whether
it's cricket, serials or movies.

We are also trying to fine-tune the self-financing
scheme relating to serials, which was introduced
earlier this year. This scheme helps DD not only to
sell airtime more effectively but also gives it the
ownership of programmes produced by outsiders with a
chance to control content. In the past, the rights of
some of DD's best programmes, especially serials and
popular shows, used to remain with producers as they
bought time on DD channels. We have done away with the
sponsored slots now.

However, the biggest challenge, which can also be
called an achievement, is to change the mindset of
people working in Prasar Bharati. The outlook has
become more commercial. We cannot change set notions
and perceptions at one go, but a more concerted effort
is being made to revitalise manpower, which will bear
fruits in times to come.

What are your plans for Doordarshan and AIR for the
next three years?

Digitisation, automation and expansion continue to be
our thrust areas in terms of broadcast development. At
present FM transmission in radio covers 30 per cent of
the population. We have a target to extend the reach
to 50 per cent by the end of the Tenth Five Year Plan.
AIR's News On Phone service has become popular in the
seven cities where it is operational now. Plans are
afoot to extend the facility to more cities. There is
a renewed focus on encouraging in-house production in
Doordarshan. We also have in hand, an ambitious
project of televising Indian classics in different
languages. The service is now available in Delhi,
Mumbai, Kolkata, Chennai, Bangalore,
Thiruvananthapuram and Patna.

What is the response to the direct-to-home (DTH)
services? With more players coming in, how do you see
the scenario in the next two years?

Excellent! In less than four months of its launch by
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Doordarshan's DTH
platform has managed to attract a subscriber base in
excess of 2 million. It is popular in South India,
particularly Tamil Nadu. We are increasing the number
of TV channels of DD Direct Plus from the present 33
to 50. There is a long queue of private free-to-air
channels for coming on the DD platform, as it offers
the maximum exposure. A couple of other DTH operators
are waiting in the wings to launch their platform.
But, all these will be pay platforms.

Even though they propose to offer free service during
the first year, ultimately subscribers will have to
start paying for the service. On the other hand, DD's
DTH is the only Free DTH service in the country and
that will remain so in the years to come.

A recent TAM report has said that DD Direct has a
two-thirds share of DTH market in India, which is
predominantly rural.

We have also decided to charge a carriage fee for the
channels on our platform. It is true that some
channels are unhappy, but the carriage fee is just to
cover our expenditure on maintaining and running the
service.

What other major initiatives are you planning to
undertake in 2006-07?

Prasar Bharati has won kudos for its efforts to
release the archival recordings of Doordarshan and AIR
in the form of CDs and cassettes. More CDs promoting
classical music and dance are to be released during
the year.Earlier this month, we released 11 DVDs
covering performances by Ustad Amjad Ali Khan and
Pandit Bhimsen Joshi, Rabindra Sangeet, Kathak
exponents and so on.

What is this self-financing scheme all about?

The self-financing scheme (SFS) puts a stop to
sponsored programmes where outside producers used to
buy time slots on DD after paying an amount. In return
they got a fixed amount of commercial time, depending
on the amount of time bought. This free commercial
time used to be hawked in the market by producers who
also retained the rights over the programmes. Most of
the time intense competition compelled these producers
to undercut prices (advertising rates) to fill up
inventory, which spoiled the market for DD programmes.

Under SFS, in short, Doordarshan appraises programmes
and pays outside producers a certain amount factoring
in a profit margin for them. Not only the rights lie
with DD now but the on-air life of such programming is
linked to ratings. If a certain programme is not
delivering the desired ratings, we take it off the air
after giving it a notice.

What are the other sources of revenue that Prasar
Bharati is tapping that had not been explored so far?

Our marketing on the government front has got more
aggressive. I made a presentation to the Information
and Broadcasting Ministry where the underlying theme
was that if a government diktat says all government
employees should fly by (state-controlled) Indian in
an effort to boost its revenues, all advertising
related to the government and its agencies should come
to Prasar Bharati.

Gaining from our experience last year where we
undertook big projects for some ministries such as
Agriculture and Family Welfare and Health, this year
too we are doing so. For example, we do a project of
narrowcasting for the Agriculture Ministry where
important information related to agriculture is
disseminated to farmers through our terrestrial
low-powered transmitters.

Revenue generation seems to be the latest mantra in
Prasar Bharati. Is that why the organisation lobbied
hard with the government to have laws favouring it
where sports content, especially cricket, is
concerned?

Why not? Prasar Bharati's reach among the masses,
which is the target for the government, is maximum
amongst all broadcasters present in India. And, what's
the big issue with cricket?

That cricket is a big revenue earner for us is a big
misconception. Moreover, the laws that you are
referring to have been enacted by the government so
that a huge chunk of the population that does not have
access to cable and satellite TV gets to see quality
sports, which may include cricket.

Do you think the employees' unions of Prasar Bharati
will allow a proposed financial restructuring of the
organisation?

The restructuring will be good for the organisation
and the employees' unions [that had petitioned the
Prime Minister earlier this year to dismantle Prasar
Bharati's existing autonomous structure] too are
supporting the move now.

They were afraid for their salaries and perks, but
have realised that a restructuring will make Prasar
Bharati fighting fit, allowing it also to tap the
capital market and other institutions for funds.

What are the other benefits of the financial
restructuring of Prasar Bharati being proposed by the
government?

First and foremost, such a restructuring enables an
organisation to tap the various sources of funds as
government backing would lessen over a period of time
as part of recommendations made in the Tenth Five Year
Plan, which is likely to be included in the next Plan
period also.

The restructuring will also help Prasar Bharati go
public if need be. But don't ask me how and when
because such issues can only be addressed when the
time comes.
Source:http://www.hinduonnet.com/fline/stories/20060630003611600.htm
Jaisakthivel,
Chennai