[HCDX] Deutsche Welle joins hand with DD Direct +

In a bid to strengthen its foothold in India, the
German pubcaster Deutsche Welle (DW) has enterted into
an agreement with DD Direct+, the pubcaster Prasar
Bharti managed direct-to-home service to emit its
programmes via a DD satellite transponder in India.

In a statement issued today, DW will be present with
DW-TV programmes in English and German, and in future
possibly also with radio programmes in English and
Hindi or other languages. At present, only the
state-financed Doordarshan and one pay platform
broadcast via DTH signal, which guarantees a
technically brilliant and reliable emission.

"We are very happy to step up our presence in India",
says Deutsche Welle director strategy, marketing and
distribution Guido Baumhauer. "This is a great
opportunity for DW television. We have excellent
contacts with Prasar Bharati, which runs Doordashan,
and we are working together on a number of projects.
With Doordashan and DW both being public broadcasters,
I'm sure this new cooperation will be a positive
experience for all sides."

The release states that the DD Direct+ reaches far
more housholds than pay TV and is expected to be the
biggest DTH platform in Asia, which opens up a lot of
possibilities for the DW regarding regional
broadcasting of its programming. Prasar Bharati CEO K
S Sarma, actively supported the German bid for the
place on DD Direct+.

"This is due to DW's outstanding reputation as an
international public broadcaster of high quality",
comments DW general manager Erik Bettermann. "Asia is
one of our focus regions. We are happy to expand our
market in India, and Doordarshan, as a long-standing
player in the Indian media business, is an excellent
partner for us."

The DD DIRECT+ platform carries 33 free-to-air (FTA)
channels, including 19 DD channels, 14 private TV
channels and 12 All India Radio (AIR) audio channels
and is likely to include more channels in the future.
The approximate cost of the equipment to view DD
channels is around Rs. 1800/- including Set Top Box,
LNB and antena.

http://in.answers.yahoo.com/

World Radio TV Handbook 2006 is out.