[HCDX] bbcurdu.com puts the spotlight on "the disappeared" in Pakistan

PRESS RELEASE

bbcurdu.com puts the spotlight on "the disappeared" in
Pakistan

BBC Urdu explored the sensitive issue of missing or
disappeared people in Pakistan in a special debate in
Islamabad on Monday, 3 July. The discussion was
webcast live on the website and also broadcast in the
flagship programme Sairbeen. In preparation, BBC Urdu
compiled the list of those known to have disappeared
in recent years, and this will now remain online and
will be regularly updated.

Together with three families from Baluchistan
province, whose relatives are missing, the Information
Minister of Pakistan, Mohd Ali Durrani, and former
head of the Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI), Asad
Durrani, took part in the special broadcast which
explored every aspect of the disappeared ? from legal
to emotional.

The BBC's Mazhar Zaidi, who produced the on-hour
debate in Islamabad, said the programme was emotional
and highly charged:  "The families of disappeared
people, who came to participate in the programme, were
crying and hugging each other.  They were able to quiz
the Information Minister as to why their loved ones
had never been produced in courts or formally
charged."

Mrs Masud Janjua, whose husband has been missing since
30 July 2005, said:  "It?s the worst kind of torture;
it?s better to know [they] are dead."

The mother of Muneer Maingal, who was allegedly
detained by the authorities at Karachi airport in
April 2006 and has not been seen since, said: "I want
to smell the fragrance of my son again."

When asked if he accepted the failure of the
government in tackling the problem, the Information
Minister, Mohd Ali Durrani, said:  "I am stating the
failure of a government, which has to deal with grave
issues like terrorsim and at the same time protect the
rights of its citizens."

Mohammed Hanif, Head of BBC's Urdu Service, says:
?When we started compiling the list of the disappeared
in Pakistan, we were overwhelmed by the number of
people who wanted to help us. Various individuals and
organisations phoned us in large numbers, providing us
with several ?new? cases.  It remains a difficult task
but we wanted to generate a healthy debate on this
sensitive subject and highlight all sides of the
story.  And we plan to keep it in the public eye by
continually updating the list.?

The lists and a recording of the debate can be
accessed via bbcurdu.com

Ends

For more information contact:

Lala Najafova, International Publicist, BBC World
Service +44(0)207 557 2944; lala.najafova@xxxxxxxxx

Notes to Editors:

The award-winning BBC wesbite, bbcurdu.com is updated
24 hours a day, seven days a week.  bbcurdu.com has
up-to-the minute news, features and analysis on
Pakistan, India and South Asia as well as news from
the rest of the world.  Visitors to the site are able
to listen to the audio of radio programmes and comment
in online debates. Having recently ventured into
online video, bbcurdu.com is the largest Urdu news
site in the world with over 16 million page
impressions a month.
Jaisakthivel,
Radio World Presenter.

http://in.answers.yahoo.com/