[HCDX] Going ga, ga over Radio

Going ga, ga over Radio
[ 10 Jul, 2006 2038hrs ISTTIMES NEWS NETWORK ]

The charm of being a Radio Jockey has Kanpur
youngsters in its grip as they make a beeline for
radio stations to try their luck.

If you have the attitude, good communication skill,
and a voice that others like to hear, you certainly
match the profile of an RJ. With radio programmes
climbing the popularity graph, radio jockeying has
become a option of choice for students and
professionals looking for part time and even full time
jobs. Kanpur Times checks out the trend...

Prabhakar Gupta, a part time radio jockey at All India
Radio, Kanpur station says, "I joined the radio
station just a year ago as I have a good accent and a
decent knowledge of Hindi. Initially I wasn't very
serious about being an RJ, but later when I began
receiving letters of appreciation from listeners, I
developed more interest. Now, I can boast of having my
own regular program on AIR!"

Gupta adds that his passion is so great that he will
not mind coming down from NOIDA one day in a week,
where he has landed a job with a software company and
where he will be shifting for training soon, for
recording his program.

Garima Pathak is another student who has taken up part
time job of Radio Jockey. She avers, "Even while
studying, I wanted to do something different and
interesting. So I grabbed an opportunity to become an
RJ as soon as I got one.

Apart from earning money, I am happy that the venture
has transformed me into an extremely confident person,
who is not afraid of interacting with people. I enjoy
my work and it is a good break from studies and
entrance exams that make life really boring and
monotonous!"

The craze is even popular amongst professionals.
Twenty three years old Ruchi Agnihotri who is working
with a media group also has a program on AIR, which is
aired once a week. She says, "The trend of radios had
declined but in the past few years it has regained a
regular following owing to various FM channels. I
really liked listening to radio and wanted to be on
air ever since I was a child. So even after being
employed with a media group I didn't compromise on my
interest and began doing a part time job at AIR."

"The trend of part time jobs at radio station is fast
picking up in the city. But being an RJ is not just a
job of juggling words before mike and cracking jokes,"
feels Dheeraj Prakash, transmission executive at AIR,
while adding, "the reality is very different. One has
to ensure audience attention. It's good for students
as a means of grooming oneself. This job builds
confidence, hones your communications skill and makes
you sharp."

"Students and professionals who take up RJs job are
more creative. Young RJs increase the number of
listeners and that automatically brings good business
to radio stations," admits VK Singh, assistant station
director, All India Radio Kanpur.

Regards & 73?s
Mukesh Kumar
MUZAFFARPUR