[HCDX] Latest logs

Repport from:
Bogdan Alexandru Chiochiu
4190 Edward Higgins
H8Y 3M9
Pierrefonds (Montreal's West Island), Quebec Canada
Equipment:
MW: Sanyo MCD-S830 with its internal ferrite bar antenna
MW: Sangean 818ACS with its internal ferrite bar antenna
SW: Sangean 818ACS with long-wire in our interior yard

Hello to all of you !

Conditions almost reached October standards on the AM broadcast band. Keep reading and you'll see why !

SWLing logs:

6180 BRAZIL,   Radio Nacional do Brasil, Brasilia  AUG 7 0040 - "...essa noite..." time announcement by man, then lottery numbers. Huge ! SINPO 45444. Signed-off at 0100 UTC leaving a poor amount of domestic noise and very slight splatter. Unfortunatly, at the same time, only threshold signals could be heard from the ZY tx on 60m like 4885, 4915 and 4985 kHz. (Chiochiu-QC)

6590 UNITED STATES,   WHRI, Cypress Creek, SC  AUG 6 0150 - ID at 0200: "This is World Harvest Radio. WHRI is broadcasting from Cypress Creek, South Carolina...". SINPO 33443 with some utility QRM at times. Heard while looking for an American AM mode pirate or out-of-band Peruvian to no avail. (Chiochiu-QC)

MW DX logs:

Europe:

1134 unID, either SPAIN,   COPE (10 kW), Salamanca  or  CROATIA, Hrvatski Radio (600 kW), Zadar  AUG 4 0231 - very threshold with woman talk. Clearly NOT // with 1130, so NOT an overspill from residual WBBR/WDFN-1130. Better received on 1134 kHz with the radio in AM Narrow mode or on 1135 kHz with the Sangean in AM Wide mode. (Chiochiu-QC)

1143 SPAIN,   COPE, synchros (tent.)  AUG 6 0310 - high-pitched tone popping up on the high-side of a weak domestic jumble on 1140 with WRVA-1140 and WBBR-1130 splatter completly nulled out. I guess this is a TA "heterodyne" and not another kind of weird noise. Most likely coming from these 5 kW Spaniard synchronous outlets. Tentative ! (Chiochiu-QC)

Latin America:

Radio Rebelde (from Cuba) on 670 and others QRMed //s including 770 under WABC on the evening of AUG 6.

890 CUBA,   Radio Progreso, Chambas  AUG 2 0230 - special items inside "Noticiero RP" regarding Castro's health about the national and international greetings Fidel Castro received and invitation to the Cuban people to live and to work, followed by "Radio Progreso la onda...la onda...la onda del alegría" nice jingle, then an ugly old-fashionned romantic ballad ressembling a bolero. SINPO 44323 with very great signal, but quite periodical deep fades on the 818ACS barefoot with the power shut due to the T-storm unenabled me to listen on the Sanyo which has slightly poorer sensitivity in this part of the dial, but a much better sound and more flexibility in his tuning, because I can de-tune LESS than 1 kHz away. ¡ La propagación no está muy caliente hacia America Latina, por la razón de la actividad en el sol más baja ! (Chiochiu-QC)

North America:

960 CFFM, Kingston, ON  JUL 29 2156 EDT / JUL 30 0156 UTC - part of extensive announcement ID ann. "This is AM 9-60 CFFX, a Corus Entertainment Station...". Slightly over a domestic talker. Also some 60's mainstram rock'n'roll (not GREAT pysche or prog like Jimy Hendrix, Caravane, Yes, Pink Floyd et al) just before that ID. (Chiochiu-QC)

960 CHNS, Halifax, NS  AUG 1 2223 EDT / AUG 2 0223 UTC - Hal FM mention in mix with 1 or 2 stations including the brand new logged by me CFFX. SIO 322. (Chiochiu-QC)

1120 WPRX, Bristol, CT  AUG 5 2320 EDT / AUG 6 0320 - noted in passing at huge strenght with high-energy contemporary merengue music with minor WBBR-1130 slops. They were stronger and steadier than usually ! It may be relatively short-skip from Montreal, but if they're running only 250 W at night, then it becomes a slightly more prized domestic catche ! (Chiochiu-QC)

1140 CHRB, High River, AB  AUG 6 0015 EDT / AUG 6 0415 UTC - End of a nice pop/rock tune, then promo "We promise and now we're delivering -> delivering supper in the field that is, it's back, bigger and better than ever, the great Green Ruch 2006, AM 11-40 stuff will come to your farm and serve the delicious meals prepared by Karla Jackson, High River. All you'll have to do is prepare the hungry vehicle. Enter to win a Harvest supper in the field with one of these participating sponsors: High River - New Holland, High Hiver, April -> the locations in Bolton and Crossfield. The Great Green Rush on Southern Alberta community station, AM 11-40" then a countrish r&r tune in the Elvis style. Huge signal strenght often with deep fadings, but always came back with huge signal for minutes before fading again !! My furthest DX to the West EVER, at over 3000 kilometers from Montreal ! The 2nd NEW LONG-HAUL reception this off-season period after Progreso-750, unless you're considering just like me that August 1st is the official start of the new season, because August is the best summer month for awesome stuff on mediumwave ! (Chiochiu-QC)

Great news: the levels of the tumoral activity are even more than normal, they're indetectable ! Next appointement in October ! The only (minor) health problem to solve is an incarnated nail, but that's nothing when compared to the last fall's night mare. I'm ready to take advantage of the newly arrived 2006-2007 DX season on mediumwave and to check out the FM band regularly to spot some meteor-scatter and Perseids-induced sporadic-E during the next couple of days.

A HUGE T-storm did hit Montreal the past week. The electricity was cut, two persons were hit by the stroke, one in the Montreal and the other one in another big city, 140 kilometers from here, in Trois-Rivières. Two tornadoes were birth in surrounding areas. It was awful ! There were also relatively smaller ones, but since Friday night, mild, not too hot temperatures, are back and the static is now almost non-existent.

The new season which started officially on August 4 for me with very threshold TA audio on 1134 picked up strongly the past night, shortly after midnight, when I picked up a DDXD-East prized catche that, under good cx or day power issues, have reached several well known domestic DXers. Initially, I wanted to pick up Spain-1143 on dawn enhancement and when realizing there was nothing in tuning between the shortly afterwards identified CHRB-1140 and CJRC/CHOC-1150 on my analogue Sanyo MCD-S830, I decided to see what this unusual strong signal on 1140 was all about, since many times I get just an incomprehensible extremely threshold jumble of domestics in WRVA-1140 null. I thought, since CHRB-1140 could NOT be COMPLETELY NULLED, that it was a short-skip domestic, but the curiosity winned, even though I'm primary a foreign DXer and I let a tape run. After two songs, the promo announcement transcribed above came with a huge signal and I was ASTONISHED !!!!!!

My goal of picking up a Venezuelan during the months of July or July has been reached this summer with Radio Coro, as well as the goal of picking up clearly Colombia which I did before the NJ coastal trip with Colombia-760 clearly behind residual WJR. There are only TWO OTHER GOALS 'till the end of August: identifying clearly a trans-Atlantic signal on mediumwave and taking advantage of at least 1 strong long-haul opening on the FM broadcast band, be it sporadic-E or several intenses 10-seconds of life meteor-scatter bursts occuring one after another. What are your goals ? I'm curious. Are any of you having any important goals to achieve regarding DXing over the next couple of weeks ? I mean, challenging goals, not run-of-the-mil ones. Something to be proud !? It could be an intriguing answer.

May the good DX be with you !
Bogdan Alexandru Chiochiu
"¡ Es la diferencia que nos da la motivación para conseguir cariño é exito, en nuestra vida !"

World Radio TV Handbook 2006 is out.