Re: [HCDX] [Cumbre DX] Re: RSH - why bother listening - details available online

Jari and Stig:

Just to enter the fray here...

Like Jari, I have precious little time to send reception reports these days
and am highly selective in what I can send. So...what I do is record every
logging I make, whether on my home rig or on a DX Tuner receiver. I probably
have over 400 recordings (software files using Total Recorder) since Feb
2004 - as far as I'm concerned, these recording are better than any QSL card
to prove what was heard and from what location and receiver settings - they
just don't have the card "collector" value. On the other hand, I really
enjoy going back and listening to these recordings anytime I want. I'm not
going to make the mistake I did back in the late 70's and dump all my audio
tapes of rare DX stations! The down side of this is that I get lazy and
don't log program details since most often I don't send a report - so if I
decide to send a report I have to re-listen to the recording to recreate a
written report. I also need a better log system for my recordings -
Shortwave Log would be a good solution.

If folks feel they have to "cheat" to get a QSL, they only hurt themselves -
I for one see no pleasure in receiving an "unearned" QSL. Of course the
other downside is that such people can give our hobby a bad name if they
continually send "bogus" reports. On RSH Day I made recordings from both DX
Tuner (Sweden) for clarity and enjoyment, and from my own receiver in
California for "DX" purposes. I will send RSH recordings from both sites
which I think provides them very useful comparative information. The
difference is 5,000+ miles vs. 8,000+ miles, not a big deal from a DX
perspective for a 1 KW broadcaster, but again useful for comparative
purposes.

My 2 cents worth...all in all it was a fun day and Robert Kipp should be
profusely thanked for the effort to put this event together!

Bruce

Bruce W. Churchill
Senior Project Manager
Emergency & Transportation Operations Division
b.churchill@xxxxxxxxxx
www.delcan.com

Systems Business, National Operations

14320 Firestone Blvd.