[HCDX] KDKA and Tone

dear friends...

I heard a test (??) tone here in Johnstown, PA at 0030 on 12-02-06 mixing with KDKA 1020 AM.  it was giving KDKA a good run for its money.  most of the time, KDKA was "listenable" with the tone being very annoying.  I would not have wanted to "have" to listen to the program with this 1k tone.

there were times when the tone was very strong and made KDKA a garbled to non-existent mess.  I monitored this for about 30 minutes.  I am about 60 miles east of pittsburgh and KDKA is a local at night and very easy to hear in the daytime also.

I discovered this as I was sitting in the car searching for some NHL hockey games on the radio, being the fact that I could not be at home watching all of them on direct tv nhl center ice.  wife was shopping....................

I did not try it on the Kenwood with the longwire with buried ground counterpoise.

has anyone come to a conclusion to what/where it is coming from?

steve price
Johnstown, PA

Preorder your WRTH 2007: