[HCDX] Help with Audacity

I´m wondering if there is someone using Mac and Audacity for soundclips?
My problem is that I can´t understand how to compress the soundfclips.
It should be simple...
I´m using Mac OSX and Audacity 1.2.6.
When I have the clip, I´ ve been told to go to the Edit-menu and then
Preferences, where I can compress the file.
But I can´t find the ”Preferences”. My Edit-meny stops with Snap-To.
 From a picture, and from a friend using it on Windows, I know the
”Preferences” is coming next under Snap-To.
If I press ctrl+P (as I should do?) I´m getting to ”Copy” (ctrl + C).
How can I find the ”Preferences”, or is there another way I can go to
compress my soundclips?
Thank you for your information.
Jan Edh
Hudiksvall, Sweden