[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs December 9

** CUBA. Dec 9 at 0700, jamming on both 5890 and 5980; not sure which one R.
Martí was axually on this time (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** ECUADOR. HCJB blew away Aventura Diexista, Sat Dec 9 at 1450 when instead on
11960 I was hearing an apparently live alabanza revival celebrating the 75th
anniversary of HCJB (really isn`t until Dec 25!), which apparently started at 6
am Thursday. Included bits of music on quena, pan flute with a guest who
travelled 48 hours from Perú to get there. Among the various voices I think I
may have heard Alen Grajam, whose accent seems to be improving as time goes on.
They managed to override the automatic ID at 1459:30, but not the mandatory end
of transmission abruptly after timesignal 1500:00* without so much as a
goodbye, or tune to another frequency suggestion (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

** JORDAN [and non]. R. Jordan, 11690, Dec 9 at 1501 with news in English by
YL, about PLO, etc. G with no RTTY! For a few seconds, as it was only taking a
breather. But RJ was strong enough to continue listening after 1505 when music
resumed, should one have wanted to, instead of Vinyl Café on CBCR2 webcast
only, and that turned out to be a rerun (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** NETHERLANDS [non]. RN`s 14-16 English broadcast to SAs is usually best here
on Madagascar 12080, sometimes 15595, but the third frequency, 9345, was making
it well Dec 9 at 1404 during news, so well that I could detect slight
distortion in the audio. No doubt the audio feed undergoes circuitous routing
to get to Tashkent, whence this emanates with 100 kW at 131 degrees, nowhere
near toward us (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** THAILAND. Took advantage of absence of DGS Costa Rica and better propagation
than usual, actually to listen to R. Thailand`s English broadcast at 1400 on
9725, Dec 9. Opened with theme, and R. Thailand news by YL with heavy accent,
mostly pronouncements of new rulers; 1409 into Science Show with Robyn
Williams. This was obviously the ABC Radio National program, also heard on RA,
http://www.abc.net.au/rn/scienceshow/default.htm
but I never heard any credit to ABC, RA, or even Australia! It was just a
segment of the whole show, and apparently not recent per the summaries at the
website. Items about how thanks to Moon, Earth doesn`t flip over causing
drastic climate changes; and Jupiter`s gravity well helps to reduce the debris
hitting Earth. Was interviewing some scientist from Cambridge. Good show, but
it would be nice if R. Thailand broadcast stuff about or at least produced in,
Thailand.

At 1420 just that from the PRD of the RTG, ``The Soul of the Thai Nation``
about the Royal Guards March, which I thought would feature music other than
peripherally, but it was mostly talk, about how the RG were parading last
Saturday Dec 2 for the King`s birthday which was axually Dec 5. A bit of music
had finally started at 1429 when the transmission mandatorily cut off at
1429:30 without so much as a wrapup or goodbye. How rude (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. No signal from WRMI, 7385, Sat Dec 9 at 1355 check when WOR should
have been on; recheck at 1407, was on with Rexella and preacher asserting that
scripture sez the world will *never* end; whew!!! I guess we can forget about
asteroids and solar burnout too. Take that, Brother Scare! And at 1432,
Wavescan was underway, program for second Sunday of month (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

Have a burning question?

Preorder your WRTH 2007: