[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs December 15-16

STORM SIGNALS

[Trying to file each item under a different country or [non] really doesn`t
make much sense in this case, so here we go, anyway]

I understand that R. Martí ignored the priority of TIRWR Costa Rica, registered
for 24h on 9725, in changing to 9725 from 11775 at 0000-0300. Ironically, 11775
had been neatly shared between the OCB and DGS Anguilla with no overlap. Dec 15
at 0033 I checked 9725 and believed I could barely hear a het under Martí which
was probably TIRWR if they choose to waste their watts and continue asserting
their claim to the frequency. No jamming was audible at the moment, tho there
has been at other chex.

Martí 9725 and VOA Spanish 9480, both from Delano across us, spelt U.S., were
the only significant signals audible on 31m at 0033 Dec 15 during geomag storm.
VOA // 11840 was poor with flutter; Equadorial HCJB on 11700 and 11970 were G
with no propagation problems. 13, 15 and 17 MHz were dead.

At 0038 I checked the other bands: 7505 KTBN was strong but with heavy flutter,
7415 WBCQ was JBA, 6165 RN Bonaire with flutter, unusual for a signal from that
latitude. Also flutter on US stations, WEWN 5810, WWCR 5070, 3215.

At 0041, two different Spanish programs from Cuba on 6000 and 6180, plus mixing
product on 6300, with audio from 6060 dominant.

Mauritania 4845 was still on at 0043 with good carrier if not modulation, and
not much flutter.

I was away and not trying to do any monitoring most of Dec 15, but UT Dec 16
around 0300-0500 I could not get any listenable SW signals on the car radio. On
main rig at 0537, RHC was inaudible on 6180 --- wiped out by aurora that far
south, or off the air? On 6060 there was only a wobbly carrier.

At 0538 Dec 16, the only good clear, strong signal on (or around) 6 MHz band)
was KAIJ 5755; and on the 7 MHz band, only KTBN 7505.

MW was not exhibiting the traditional auroral conditions, as e.g. WTAM 1100
Cleveland was inbooming. However, KOKC 1520 OKC, which normally owns the
channel here, at 0704 UT Dec 16 was mixed with 2 or 3 other stations, tho
slightly dominant over them. Sounded like a regional instead of clear channel.
None of the others seemed to be in Spanish (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING
DIGEST)

** CUBA. Dec 15 at 1330, WEWN 9955 was being jammed! Such are the risks of
sharing a frequency with WRMI, which of course at this hour was really on 7385
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** GERMANY. Dec 16 at 1441 on 7385, I came across some guy with a heavy Oz
accent saying that from Jan 1, the Wertachtal site would be owned by CVC. Don`t
you believe it. CVC is buying Jülich, and Wertachtal is supposedly closing down
as DW transfers most of its broadcasts to Nauen or external relay sites. Are we
certain Wertachtal will really go dark promptly at the end of 2006? (Glenn
Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** GREECE. Did VOG miss another English hour? Sat Dec 16 at 1451, 9420 was
playing Greek music, and also when rechecked a few minutes later  (Glenn
Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U K [non]. BBCWS to S Africa via Ascension, 21470, is usually good here all
morning from sunrise until 1800 at least. I have entered feature program times
during this block, most of which differ from Eu or NAm streams, in MONITORING
REMINDERS CALENDAR, as well as other SW broadcasts to W, C and SAf which are
audible in NAm (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

http://mail.yahoo.com

Preorder your WRTH 2007: