[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs October 1

** AFGHANISTAN [non]. R. Solh, 17700 via Rampisham UK, Oct 1 at 1459 had a
break in transmission of a few seconds. This timing is suspicious, just when a
transmitter or antenna switch might be made, in the middle of the 12-18 UT
broadcast, tho none is scheduled. Afterwards, seemed to be a bit weaker, but
there would be no reason to change azimuth (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING
DIGEST)

** ERITREA [non]. V. of Meselná Deliná, Eritrean clandestine, in Tigrinya,
which we found last week scheduled M-F 1800-1830 on new 17690 via WHRA,
confirmed Monday Oct 1, loud and clear from 1800, altho the audio was a bit
choppy as if on a defective internet feed. Noel Green and Jari Savolainen in
Europe confirm it is no longer heard at 1700 on 7335, but instead CRI (Glenn
Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** JAPAN [and non]. Monitored NHK World R. Japan`s new broadcast in English via
Sackville 11705, Monday Oct 1: Carrier did not come on until a few sex before
1400 allowing just a bit of the R. Japan IS, which fortunately has not been
abolished. 1400 timesignal and immediately into news with vapid, forgettable
theme --- no sign-on, opening greeting. Newscaster spoke slowly and distinctly,
but still hard to understand him because of heavy accent. Is R. Japan unable to
hire native speakers of e.g. English, or is this a deliberate policy to
maintain Japanese flavour in their broadcasts?? If so, it is too successful.

One of the stories was about a ``seaside bomber in NW Pakistan`` -- oh, that
must be ``suicide``! The break in the middle of the news to announce
frequencies has been abolished, so we are on our own to find out what they are.
I am surprised some consultant did not convince them much earlier that the
frequency info totally interrupted the flow of the news. ``A Song for You``
music break after the news is also gone! But they only have 29 minutes now to
work with, so less time for fluff.

1410, Pop Spot Japan(?), something about integration, but the YL`s heavy accent
prevented me from understanding the title. Interviewed someone about Burma from
Sophia University who spoke much better English, altho I think his name was
Japanese. The Asian news roundup quoting items from other stations, a useful
service, is also abolished, but a sub-segment of the program at 1416 had a
report from Radio Australia, interviewing a sorghum (?) sister about catering.
At end caught the correct subtitle ``Challenges of Integration``, and into
music bit, a song about hummingbirds and rainbows, but it was cut off after a
sesquiminute for the program`s closing theme, along with which the hostess gave
seasonal greeting for autumn in the NH, spring in the SH. Transmission cut off
at 1429* without any formal sign-off.

Later I looked for new program info on the NHK website and found that the show
I was hearing must have been ``What`s Up Japan``, and the current sub-topic is
Challenges of Integration, per:

http://www.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/english/onairradio_e.html

[From here below, my interspersed comments are in brackets: Besides the news,
there are only three distinctive programs left in English on Radio Japan! Times
here carefully changed from JST to UT, by subtracting 9 hours, if you don`t
mind! ---]

``What's Up Japan``
M-F 0510, repeated at 0910, 1210, 1320, 1410, 2200, 2400
[since this is a 20-minute show, therefore the 20-minute transmissions at 2200
and 2400 omit the news]

This program features current topics in politics, economics, sport and other
fields in Japan and across Asia, giving insight into the world of Japan and
Asia now.

It will also be presented in 16 languages on Radio Japan Focus at
various broadcasting times, dependent on the language service.

Oct 1 Mon The Challenges of Integration(4)Immigrant Women: Australia
Oct 2 Tue The Challenges of Integration(4)Immigrant Women: Sweden
Oct 3 Wed The Challenges of Integration(4)Immigrant Women: Canada
Oct 4 Thu The Challenges of Integration(4)Immigrant Women: Netherlands
Oct 5 Fri The Challenges of Integration(4)Immigrant Women: Japan

``World Interactive``

Sat 0510-0600 UT [sic; surely means 0510-0530 now], repeated:
Sat 1010, 1710, Sun 0010, 0310, 1110, 1510, Mon 0110

[NOTE: most of these must be WRONG, at hours when NO ENGLISH is now scheduled:
0110, 0310, 1010, 1110, 1510, 1710!! and 0010 would not fit for a 20-minute
broadcast starting at 0000]

A mailbag show connecting listeners from around the world to NHK World. Each
week we introduce mail from our listeners, as well as have phone interviews
with them. We also periodically feature foreign guests to share their
experiences living in Japan.

The show offers DX information, Haiku lessons, and a Japanese culture segment
twice a month -- giving you a look into present day Japan, and Japan of the
past.

``Pop Up Japan``

Sat 0530-0550 UT, Repeated: 1030, 1430, 1730, Sun 0030, 0130

[NOTE: all these times must be WRONG, as there are no longer any English
broadcasts scheduled in the second half of hours, except the late-starting 1310
until 1340! One would assume this should fill weekend times not occupied by
World Interactive? The logical setup would be for W.I. to be on all the `Sat`
broadcasts, without extending into Sun & Mon as previously, and PUJ to be on
all the `Sun` broadcasts, but who knows?]

On Pop Up Japan, Pakkun Makkun will introduce a line-up of specially selected
J-Pop tunes, interspersed with their own sharp brand of comedy. The show will
also look at some unique elements of Japanese culture such as animation, the
Akihabara scene, and the latest Tokyo fashions. You can send requests for your
favorite songs via the program website. http://www.nhk.or.jp/popupjapan/

[Try to make sense out of that. Thus the published R. Japan program schedule is
FUBAR. We should still be thankful that there is any English (sort of), left on
the air at all] (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. R. Unam, 9599+, Oct 1 at 1419 with Spanish talk rather than
classical music, noticeably stronger than RA on 9590 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

** NEW ZEALAND. Caught the last few minutes of RNZI Mailbox, which runs less
than 20 minutes now, Mon Oct 1 until 1350 on 6095. Adrian Sainsbury announced a
couple of schedule changes, presumably referring to analog tho not specified:
15720 starting an hour earlier at *1950 instead of *2050 (but a few seconds
later he said it starts at *2000 now). 9615 extended an hour, past 0700, now
0500-0800, times rounded off. These new changes are reflected in the schedule
viewed at 1742 UT Oct 1 at http://www.rnzi.com/pages/listen.php even tho that
schedule supposedly went into effect 24 August (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING
DIGEST)

** SINGAPORE. RSI, 6080, Oct 1 at 1340 going from an amusing report on
untrustworthy taxi drivers in Singapore to the Burma situation; fair (Glenn
Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** VENEZUELA [non]. Checking Tom Sliva`s report of RNV CI via Cuba at yet
another unscheduled time, which he heard on Sept 29 but not 30: Monday Oct 1 at
1450, 11680 had a weak signal from VOT with Turkish pop music. *1501 carrier
from Cuba overrode it completely at S9+20, so TurQRM not a problem here,
scheduled until 1530. At 1502 joined RNV Spanish program already in progress,
with program summary, efemérides for Sept 28, so playing back the Friday show.
Gave e-mail of internacional @ rnv.gov.ve and website http://www.rnv.gov.ve Or
is it .gob. as spelt in Spanish? They`ve got that covered, as if you enter the
website with .gob it converts to .gov Listened for a few minutes but no
English, nor at 1530 recheck (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

http://farechase.yahoo.com/

Preorder your WRTH 2007: