[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs October 26-28

** AFGHANISTAN [non]. R. Solh, confirmed on B-season channel as previously,
15265, ex-17700, via Rampisham UK, Oct 28 at 1355 with usual music. But this
only runs until 1500 per schedule. 15265 should be more reliable here than
17700 which depended on a higher MUF coöperating (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

** ALBANIA. At 0030 Oct 28, Cuba still jamming 6110, just vacated by VOA, so
probably really jamming Tirana, unless they hadn`t made the QSY yet; could not
tell. 6110 is now scheduled 0000-0130 daily in Albanian, 0130-0145 & 0330-0400
exc Mon in English.

Note that Tirana evening broadcasts to NAm are now on one frequency at once,
but different times. 7425 is now at 0245-0300 & 0430-0500 in English exc
Mondays, unchecked yet, and 0000-0130 daily in Albanian

Radio Tirana, I am pleased to note, was doing well on its new 6110, in English
at 0330 as I tuned in during transmission schedule announcement at 0332. Good
modulation; must be punching it up again. SINPO 25443. No co- or
adjacent-channel QRM, just what we were aiming for. Comparable signal level to
Cërrik relay of China on 6020

No sign of R. Tirana, on new 13640 for new 1530-1600 broadcast in English to
NAm, Sunday Oct 28 at 1537 check. Is Sunday now the day off for this ex-Monday
at 1300 on 13750? Next one to check: 2100-2130 on new 9915 (Glenn Hauser, OK,
DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** BRAZIL. 31m had been pretty dead earlier in the evening, but was now picking
up. At 0349 Oct 28 on 9665, Chinese music, strong but distorted, and flutter,
then Spanish with Chinese accent. Must be usual CRI relay via Brasília. Several
other Brazilians were coming thru on 31 and 25m (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING
DIGEST)

** CHINA [non]. CRI via Canada on new 15230 at 1355 Oct 28, usual theme music
wrapping up English broadcast (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) See also
BRAZIL

** CONGO DR [non]. Made a point of looking for R. Okapi on new 9635, and there
it was, quite good in French with news about Bush, Congo at 0402 Oct 28; had
some ACI from REE/CR 9630 despite the latter being badly undermodulated. Okapi
is via Meyerton, South Africa. Channel Africa also good before 0400 on 7390
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CUBA. After missing for two or three weeks, RHC`s weekly Esperanto service
was back, Sunday Oct 28 at 1500 with NA, opening Radío Havano Kubo, and giving
full schedule for Esperanto, Sundays: NAm 0700 6000; 1500 & 1930 11760; CAm
2330 6140, SAm 9600. This matches schedule on website! In web address,
individual letters, being nouns, the consonants anyway, must end in -o, so
``hc`` is pronounced ``ho tso`` (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CUBA [non]. R. Martí has made some seasonal schedule changes. 15330 is back
in business, very strong here Oct 28 at 15330 and no jamming audible; instead,
the DentroCuban Jamming Command was still active on vacated 11845. RM also
audible but jammed on // 13820 and 11930.

http://www.martinoticias.com/frequencies.htm still hasn`t been updated since
summer 2006, tho it resembled summer 2007! (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING
DIGEST)

** CUBA [non]. Cuban jamming on 6100 at 0227 Oct 28, no República audible. If
RR has a new schedule, we will have to find it out by monitoring since it`s not
published anywhere. 6100, by 0331 there was some music audible under the
jamming, so apparently R. República is still there. The latter built up to a
better level in Spanish before 0400* (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)
see also UNIDENTIFIED

** EGYPT. Cairo`s new 6290 is making it thru with awful distortion in Arabic,
at 0035, and also around 0210 Oct 28. Cairo fair on 7270 at 0211 with Arab
music, 0216 news in English. More ham QRM than usual with the contest in
progress (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** ERITREA [non]. To cap off the evening, found a jamming pileup on 7220,
variable-pitch tones, as carrier swept up and down, sirens, machine-gun,
motor-boating sounds, at 0407 Oct 28; tuned away and when came back at 0409,
7220 was vacant; quickly looked around for another frequency with the jamming,
but at 0410 it all resumed. This must be the Ethiopians attacking V. of the
Broad Masses of Eritrea, Program 2, nominal 7175, where it was not heard during
the brief time I was monitoring, nor was it audible under the heavy 7220
jamming. Others have reported the 7175 transmitter jumping around trying to
escape the jamming (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** GREECE. V. of Greece, 7475, checked at 0346 UT Sun Oct 28, was playing music
rather than interviewing someone in English, but didn`t listen long enough to
be sure Hellenes Around the World was not on at expected winter timing of
0300+; this could have been just a music break in it. BTW, last week it started
about 10 minutes late, so don`t give up at hourtop (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

** ISRAEL. 7545 with pop music, Hebrew service at 0214 Oct 28; WEWN Spanish
7540 not strong enough to bother. This may not always be the case; and in fact
a sesquihour later WEWN was bothering 7545 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING
DIGEST)

** LIBYA. V. of Africa, Oct 28 at 1400 on 17725 in English with monotone M
announcer; 1402 YL ID. At 1404 checked // 21695 not expecting to hear it, but
there it was with music, at least as strong as 17725, both with same big hum,
so an audio problem (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MOROCCO. The Moroccan twins, both wailing and drumming but with that kind of
programming I couldn`t decide whether they were synchronized, on 15340 and
15345 at 1332 Oct 26. Per Aoki and Eibi, at this hour it`s supposed to be
Tangier-Briech on 15335 and Nador on 15340, with 15345 not starting until 1500,
so something has changed; not listed by HFCC (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING
DIGEST)

** RUSSIA [and non]. 6155, VOR via Wertachtal, fairly good in Russian, not
English at 0209 Oct 28. 6240 had a much weaker signal, via Moldova. 7350, VOR
via Vatican in Russian at 0230 did not seem // 6155.

VOR, 6155 via Germany to NAm, which was in Russian earlier, switched to English
and was well heard at the odd time of 0339 beginning the program ``Songs from
Russia`` introduced by ``Carl Watts``; 0400 news in English (Glenn Hauser, OK,
DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** SOUTH AFRICA. 7215 had some African music at 0344 Oct 28, good signal. But
when I went back at 0347 it was gone. That would be TWR via Meyerton in
Amharic, or something, scheduled 0300-0345. Heard no announcements (Glenn
Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** SPAIN. REE opening ``La Hora de Asia`` at 1405 Sunday Oct 28 on 21610,
21570, both stronger than // 21540. Great to have 13m opening up again, but it
may not last (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** SWEDEN [non]. R. Sweden confirmed Oct 28 at new later time of 1530 in
English to NAm via Canada, on 15240; VG here (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING
DIGEST)

** THAILAND [and non]. Early B-07 monitoring, UT Oct 28: As in the new VOA
schedule, Spanish at 0030-0200 is on new 5890 --- that knocks out the relay of
R. Thailand via Greenville. So is the latter now on 12095 direct from Thailand?
Monitors in Asia, please check. Nothing audible here. Propagation conditions
are quite poor tonight. Question also remains whether Thailand relay at
0200-0330 will be on 5890 from Greenville now instead of Delano (or neither?).
If not, try direct frequency 15275.

[later:] R. Thailand relay was still on 5890, presumably Delano, UT Oct 28 at
0205 check in English news; 0223 recheck during talk feature audio abruptly
stopped. I had been hearing some noise underneath, had not decided if it was
new Cuban jamming left over, but then heard `machine-gun` blasts periodically,
perhaps on the audio feed from Thailand lacking normal modulation. 0229 was
back with bells IS, but 0230 modulation stopped again when hour of Thai was
supposed to start.

Another monitoring session in time to hear the last few words from Delano,
which were in Thai, on 5890. The audio cut off, on and then off again for good
at 0327. The carrier was turned off with no further audio at 0329:20. No ID, no
formal VOA sign-off, no ``goodbye, job well done``, no nothing. And no closing
for R. Thailand.

The audio interruptions may have been RT`s fault, not VOA`s, or neither`s.
However, you`d think they would have worked out the bugs in this by now. It may
not matter any more.

BTW, if you are uncertain of the gender of a person heard speaking Thai, you
can easily tell with which gender they identify --- I hesitate to say which
gender they *are* --- by the polite particles appended to the end of many
sentences. `Males` say `krap` [high tone], `females` say `ka` [falling tone,
IIRC], and as for what intermediate, homosexual, or cross-gender persons say, I
am not at all sure. Wouldn`t it be handy if we had particles like this in
English? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** TURKEY. Checked for V. of Turkey on new winter frequency 6020 for NAm at new
time of 0400 Oct 28, and what did I hear? CRI in English with Aussie doing
``news``. No sign of VOT. What`s going on? CRI via Albania 6020 is supposed to
stop at 0400 just in time for Turkey. VOT not audible on 7240 either. Maybe
they were waiting another 24 hours to go B-07. Jean-Michel Aubier in France,
however, says he did hear Turkey around 0415. Maybe the Albanian transmitter
did not get turned off at the proper time (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING
DIGEST)

** UKRAINE. Still no sign of Ukraine at any time during the evening UT Oct 28
on 7530 (or 7440). So NAm service is still suspended (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

** U K [non]. At 0335 Oct 28, found an interview on 6145 by a Brit, of an
American jazz musician. Oops, it`s Al Greenspan talking about his book and his
early years. I figured it was BBCWS, and yes, BBC promotion before 0359*.
Looked up later, this is now scheduled only at 0300-0400 from Ascension at 114
degrees, but quite a useful clear signal here in CNAm (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. Early B-07 monitoring, UT Oct 28: As in the new VOA schedule, Spanish
at 0030-0200 is on new 5890 --- that knocks out the relay of R. Thailand [q.v.]
via Greenville. VOA 5890 was // 5940 (late coming on after YD at 0029, went off
again), and much stonger on //
9560 = Delano`s last gasp.

It`s Ventana a Cuba the 0030 half-hour, which means it must be jammed as soon
as the DCJC command figures out the new frequencies. Still jamming 6110, just
vacated by VOA, so probably really jamming Tirana, unless they haven`t made the
QSY yet; can`t tell (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. WEWN, 5810, signal had built up so that at 0342 Oct 28, I could hear
its spiky splatter out to 5785/5835, plus/minus 25 kHz. Europeans considering
getting any closer to 5810, beware (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A [and non]. Since my FRG-7 was still tuned to 10 meters when I turned
it on again at 0550 UT October 26, I checked to see if there was still any
opening in the middle of the night: yes, some CW beacons around 28270,
including on 28272, W4TIY, which according to its website is 25 watts in
Dallas, GA. I was also hearing some distorted FM music on 28415, not fading
much and not sure if local or skip from some pirate; also obscured SSB station
on the low side I was never able to copy. Music was off around 0557. 16m was
barely open too with Chinese on 17880 at 0600, but missed ID if any. Probably
RFA Saipan as scheduled rather than Chinese jamming in this case (Glenn Hauser,
OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** VENEZUELA [non]. Apparently Hugo Chávez Frías still has his cold, or some
other excuse for missing another ``Aló, Presidente`` date. Sunday Oct 28 at
1503, the RHC introductory fill program ``Mundo 7`` was wrapping up on 11670,
11875, 13750, 17750, all good, but with 17750 and 13750 an echo apart from
11875. This is normally when they finally join RNV for A,P, but when I tuned
back in at 1508, all were in open carrier. Left a receiver on 17750 to see if
program would come back, but still open until finally turned off at 1527*.
Think of how many undernourished Cubans the cost of all these wasted kW could
have fed? Who cares? Billed to the oil-rich Venzies, anyway (Glenn Hauser, OK,
DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 5954 still has weak signal, presumably República, around 0035 UT
Oct 28 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. A `bonker` was blasting away centered about 6134 at 0209 Oct 28,
and later. Bothered from 6130 up past 6135. Just what we need in the crowded
exclusive SWBC band of 49m (Glenn Hauser, UT Oct 28, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 9325, oscillating tone jammer, against nothing else audible, much
like on 15645; Oct 26 at 1311. Voice of Korea, in Korean to Europe is
scheduled. Maybe DPRK got their jamming and broadcasting wires crossed? (Glenn
Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) ###

http://mail.yahoo.com

Preorder your WRTH 2007: