[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs January 1-3

** CHINA [non]. Jan 1 at 2153 found English on 7285, mailbag mostly from people
in China it seemed, with names and comments in Chinese interjected, about NY
resolutions. Some of the people were identified by numbers as is appropriate
for a Communist state. Constant lo het, from another broadcaster or ham
protester? Seemed like a program from the domestic service in English; 2155
said would be back in a few hours at ``5 o`clock``, but then CRI outro and
music, // 5960, both relayed by Albania (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CHINA [non]. Another fakeout by CRI: Jan 3 at 1512 on 17880, a discussion
about John McCain with American accents, VOA? No, a minute later back to news
with Chinese accent. Unlisted in EiBi, only 13-14 in French via Mali (Glenn
Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CZECH REPUBLIC [non]. R. Prague relay via Canada was supposed to expire Dec
31, and it did. Gone from 15160 at 1500 Jan 2; too bad, as that was reliable
and convenient here even if a day late. Raúl Saavedra also found the 0400 relay
on 5990 gone, so no doubt the others at 2330 on 5990 in English, 6000 in
Spanish are too (Glenn Hauser, OK, WORLD OF RADIO 1342, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** FRANCE [non]. Still tuned to 15160 after confirming Prague via Canada was
gone, at 1555 Jan 2 heard some Afropop and French talk; apparently Meyerton on
early for the scheduled English relay of RFI at 1600, which began after a
timesignal almost half a minute late; only fair, but favorable for us as 328
degrees from South Africa toward West Africa (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING
DIGEST)

** GUATEMALA. R. Coatán, 4780, Jan 2 at tune-in 1436 to sermon in Spanish,
surely about time to fade out, but was actually fading in a bit stronger at the
moment to SINPO 34343. Wish I could have stayed with it to see how long it
lasted (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** LIBYA [non]. As if to belie my recent remarx about the Afropop music
distraxion being reliably on 17660, Jan 3 at 1516 that was missing, and instead
on 17635 until usual 1531*, never with any announcements. ANO Gabon was also
missing from 17630 during this period. And 19160 harmonic also still missing.
17635 had nice steady equatorial signal; Libya-via-France 17725 was JBA with
telltale hum; Spain 17595 was good as usual. Noel Green kept listening and says
one minute later, ANO came up on 17630 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. Still no XEYU, no signal or het around 9600, Jan 2 at 1455 check;
nor on Jan 3 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** SPAIN. Another time for La Bañera de Ulises on REE, encountered Monday Jan 1
at 2207 on 12045. That`s the ME beam, altho rather late at night over there
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** SUDAN [non]. Ran across Sudan Radio Service on 9660, Jan 3 at 1435 in
English, M&W speaking slowly, but combination of accent and flutter still made
it very hard for me to understand; also ACI splatter de KBS WR via Sackville
9650. SINPO 33522. Ended at about 1459:30. Per HFCC, 1400-1500 is KCH, Moldova
at 175 degrees with 300 kW to zone 48, which is axually only the eastern half
of Sudan. SRS` own website http://www.sudanradio.org/schedule.htm STILL has not
been updated since A-06, and shows programming does not start until 6 pm = 1500
UT! (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. KAIJ has a special one-hour show on ham radio and the Fessenden
centennial, Ted Randall interviewing Allen Pitts of ARRL. It was publicized for
Jan 1 at 2000 on 9480, 2200 on 5755, but a technical problem kept it from
airing until 2245.

Retuning at 2247 I found the Fessenden show in progress, wrapping up interview
with W1AGP discussing SW, mentioned website http://www.helloradio.org then
Handel`s Largo and O Holy Night, concluding with MCW ID for KAIJ. Ted Randall
invited mail to comment @ kaij.us so I dropped him a note.

Ted apologized for the technical mixup and says the show is rescheduled for
this Friday Jan 5 at the same times, 2000 UT on 9480, 2200 on 5755 (Glenn
Hauser, WORLD OF RADIO 1342, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. WRMI has bumped WRN off some if not all its time in the morning on
7385, so no more RTE Ireland relay at 14-15 M-F. Jan 3 at 1420 I found Viva
Miami repeat about the Cayman Islands, how sting rays are so tame they are a
major tourist attraxion, and you can even hug them. No, thanks. 1431 into 2006
Xmas special of Jack Van Impe Presents. R. Prague relay still at 1500,
confirmed at 1509 check. Also instead of WRN at 1530, another gospel huxter. I
asked Jeff White for the latest on the new schedule (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

Glenn: We just started today replacing WRN from 1300 to 1600 weekdays with
other programs because we have most of our time sold currently and we need
places to put bonus broadcasts, some paid programs, etc. I suspect the content
of this block will be quite variable, except for Radio Prague at 1500-1530. I
am just finalizing the initial weekly schedule of programs for the block, and
I'll try to get you a copy of it later today. And yes, I do have, I think, two
slots for WOR and several other DX program repeats. I wouldn't rule out
returning to some WRN relays in the future, but for now we need the time for
other things (Jeff White, WRMI, Jan 3, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A [non]. Harold Camping on 13660, Jan 3 at 1523 with flutter; no //
found from Okeeechobee, including 11855 which had different Camping talk. EiBi
has this at 15-19 to EAf via Wertachtal; is it still? Wikipedia says Camping
was born in 1917 or 1919 or 1921, so he is at least 85-86 years old. With his
broadcasting empire, and tape library, he is no doubt destined to rival Defunct
Gene Scott as an Immortal of Shortwave (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) ###

http://mail.yahoo.com

Preorder your WRTH 2007: