[HCDX] HAARP operation in 2000

Hi,

at work I just happened to come across a scientific article about an experiment which used the HAARP (High-Frequency Active Auroral Research Program) transmitters in Gakona, Alaska. The experiment aimed at detecting thingies called PMSE, Polar mesosphere summer echoes, which come from electrons in 80-90 km altitude and are to be connected to charged ice crystals in noctilucent clouds.
Anyway, the point is that in this paper the "broadcast schedule" of HAARP is published.
Transmissions took place from August 1 to August 7, 2000, in a time frame between 1000 and 1500 local time (1800-0300 UTC). The frequency used was 4.9 MHz, except for August 5, when 3.3 MHz, 4.9 MHz and 7.6 MHz were in use between 1300 and 1400 local (2100-2200 UTC).
Power was usually the maximum available 960 kW. On August 3, power was reduced to 864, 768, 672, and 576 kW for 5 minutes each between 1430 and 1500 local time. (HAARP allows powers in 96-kW steps.)
The antenna beam was usually vertical. Only on August 5 some tilting took place: 1420 5 deg. N, 1425 30 deg N, 1430 5 deg E, 1435-1440 30 deg E.
30 degrees is given as the maximum tilting angle of the antenna.

I have no idea of how this experiment might have sounded like in our receivers. But maybe someone has heard something weird which fits?

The experiment, by the way, went fine: They "successfully observed PMSE at HF frequency for the first time in Alaska and only the second time ever at any location."

Reference: M.Kelly, M.Huaman, C.Chen, and C.Ramos, in Geophysical Research Letters, Vol.29, No.12 (2002), pp.44-1 thru 44-4.
--
Eike Bierwirth
55128 Mainz, Germany

*** Find the current overall shortwave schedule
*** on http://www.eibi.de.vu/
capercaillie@xxxxxxx - Eike.Bierwirth@xxxxxx
ICQ 272 656 360

Rx: JRC-NRD525, SONY ICF-SW7600G