[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs January 3-6

** BIAFRA [non]. V. of Biafra International, 7380 via South Africa, heard with
ID immediately after tune-in Sat Jan 6 at 2136, saying it originates in
Washington DC, and frequency, I thought he said ``7 point 80 kHz``, then
commentary ``What would you do now in 2007?``, asserting that Nigeria is
governed by a ``mentally retarded dictator``; retune at 2152, wrapping up and
familiar anthem; I think it was ``God Bless Africa`` in keeping with VOBI`s
quasi-evangelical tone; 2155 frequency clearly stated as ``7380 kHz``, and
sign-off. Is weekly, Saturdays at 21-22 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CANADA. Dead Dog in the City, the hilarious deadpan first-nations humour
programme on CBC Radio 1, was missing Jan 3 from its Wednesday evening at 8:29
pm local usual schedule; instead, Nighttime Review ran another quarter hour
until Out Front at 8:44. Yet DD was still shown on CBC online program schedules
http://www.cbc.ca/programguide/radio/ which we have noticed before are not kept
up to date. Not heard either at its other time, Thursday 10:44 am local January
4, but this one has been removed from the schedule. Let`s hope it`s just a
holiday thing or a brief hiatus. Program website gives no clues:
http://www.cbc.ca/programguide/program/index.jsp?program=Dead+Dog+in+the+City

The other Thursday morning show, O`Reilly and the Age of Persuasion, at 11:31
am local, remains on the schedule but they don`t say for how long. The Jan 4
was a repeat, but is one of the few shows whose reruns we willingly listen to
anyway.

CBC Hotsheets to which we subscribe have been extremely erratic lately; you
never know whether a given day`s will ever arrive, and anyhow, they are
highlights rather than complete program info.

Meanwhile I heard a promo that And Sometimes Y, the show about the English
language, is back, on Saturdays at 11:30 am local. Its website is up-to-date,
showing a 6-month run thru June 2007, with repeats Tuesdays at same time(s) on
CBCR1: http://www.cbc.ca/andsometimesy/
This means we have 10 chances each week to catch one of the webcasts.

I heard the first episode on Jan 6, and it`s terrific. Next Monitoring
Reminders Calendar update will have it underlined and italicized as
not-to-be-missed. Unseems ondemand but check out show site:
http://www.cbc.ca/andsometimesy/

There are probably some more program changes with the new year on CBC but I
don`t see anything else significant on this week`s grid (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

** CANADA. Bob McDonald on Quirks & Quarks still says it`s ``around the world
on shortwave on Radio Canada International``. Must he retire this claim,
unfortunately? Not completely. Per http://www.rcinet.ca/rci/PDF/B06_SW.pdf
there is still ONE broadcast of Q&Q on SW, but hardly around the entire world:

1200-1259 ENGLISH Asia / China 7105 9665 SUN Quirks & Quarks

Companion technical schedule gives further details, via Japan:
YAM 7105 100 270 Log periodique 43N,44N
YAM 9665 300 235 HR 4/2/1.0     43S,44S,49,50
(Glenn Hauser, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CHINA. Firedrake check, Jan 5 at 1410, poor on 9200 against presumed Sound
of Hope (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CZECHIA. Prompted by a remark from a caller on the UT Jan 6 Extension 720
from WGN, topic the oddities of language usage, that Czechia is the preferred
name of the country, I czeched out the website of R. Prague,
http://www.radio.cz and found the word totally missing from the home page, also
when I converted it to text-only. They consistently use only the official long
version ``Czech Republic``, but why? If anyone knows of R. Prague axually
discussing this matter, please reference. Meanwhile, searching on Czechia, we
naturally find pro-Czechia material, such as http://www.czechia.org/ saying
Czechia should be commonly used except on official documents.

I may as well add before it also comes up that spelling it CZ- in English usage
is totally nonsensical, since it is not spelt that way in Czech (!), German,
Russian, or any other language I am aware of, and no common purely English
nouns are spelt cz-; and we have a perfectly good digraph for the ``ch`` sound,
namely CH.

Furthermore, the only other common word in English spelt this way, czar, is not
even pronounced the same way but as if it were zar (while it should really be
tsar, as sometimes spelt and pronounced), but never in the sense of a
semi-high-ranking US government official, which must be spelt czar, despite the
seemingly obvious Russian provenance, where of course it applied only to the
very highest-ranking government official (cognate: Caesar), not the mere head
of a cabinet department or something subordinate to that. Further2more, in the
original classical Latin the C is always hard, (cognate German Kaiser), but
this was already lost in transition to Russian (Glenn Hauser, DX LISTENING
DIGEST)

** FRANCE [non non]. RFI, 11615, Issoudun, with Dav-id Pa-ge opening English to
Africa, Jan 6 at 1601; among programs in the hour would be one on the media,
and into news by him too. Lite echo, but much better than // 15160 via South
Africa (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** GREECE. VOG, 9420 with MUF holding up, Jan 6 at 0715 past 0745 with
wonderful Greek Orthodox singing since it`s Epiphany; more of same on weaker
17525 after 1500 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** LIBYA [non]. V. of Africa from the Great Jam., 17725 via France, Jan 5 at
1444, much better than the day before, with ``The Leader`s Mail``, laudatory
letters to MAQ, from someone in the ``southwest of America``, Robbie Ayne
(sp?). Usual big hum but good modulation otherwise. 1447 into ``Unforgettable
Persons`` --- Martin Luther King, whom they have not forgotten countless times
before, probably with exactly the same playback, but at least we`re getting
close to his nominal birthday.

Checking out the Afropop music distraxion, not really jamming a Libyan
clandestine, Jan 5 at 1449, it was on usual 17660, and Africa No. Un, Gabon,
was missing from 17630 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MALDIVE ISLANDS [non]. Quite by chance I was tuning across 11800, Jan 6 at
1600 and heard Jeff White with Radio Miami International ID, the following
program is in Dhivehi, introduced by some horn music; fair, via Germany, but
which site now? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** SPAIN. Someone asked whether Españoles en la Mar, the show for seamen
produced in Tenerife, Canary Islands, was still on the air. It`s on the REE
schedule, anyway, but we can`t confirm till Monday:

Según los esquemas hasta 24 de marzo vía
http://www.rtve.es/ree/OndaCorta/0607.htm

Españoles en la Mar se irradia como sigue:
L-V 1600 después de El Vestuario (entonces a las 1630?) en 15385 y 17755 para
África, 15585 para Europa, y 21570 para Sudamérica

L-V 2100 seguido de Mundo Solidario (entonces a las 21 hasta 2130?) en 7275
para Europa, 17755 para África, y 21610 para Oriente Medio.

While I was researching the above I also noted on the Near & Middle East page
that besides the other transmissions, there is a `special` one with no specific
program content shown, on 12045, at:
L-V 1900-2259, Sat 1800-2303, Sun 1500-2259. How come?

EiBi has slightly different times for this:
12045 1500-2300 Su    E Radio Exterior España S ME
12045 1800-2303 Sa    E Radio Exterior España S ME
12045 1900-2300 Mo-Fr E Radio Exterior España S ME

And meanwhile I heard it again Sat Jan 6 at 2132, with silly ballgame // 9630.
On Monday at 2207 I had heard 12045 with an unscheduled broadcast of La Bañera
de Ulises (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** TURKEY. This Thursday`s Live from Turkey, Jan 4 at 1350 on 12035 and 11735:
reception started out quite poor on 12035 allegedly aimed eastward and worse on
11735 allegedly northwestward, but improved slowly. At 1400-1410, Christer
Brunström was on the phone from Sweden, talking about Lapland and that he
writes a monthly DX feature for Vatican Radio (in Swedish, I assume). After a
musical break, around 1415 the hosts mentioned that they hoped to hear from
Ullmar Qvick on a future show, as well as from listeners in Pakistan and India.
At 1422 rechecked 11735 and found it was much better than a semihour ago. After
headlines, closing, into piano IS variations, still going on both frequencies
at 1427 when multilingual IDs began to intersperse, and both still on at 1430,
opening service in a Slavic language. Wake up at Emirler! You were supposed to
change to 9525 for Bosnian, and 9655 for Kyrgyz! (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

** U K. Wanted to hear Close Up as had been scheduled on BBCWS Eu and internet
stream at 2245 UT Sat Jan 6, but instead I got an unavailable due to ``global
rights restrictions relating to the Olympic Games on the Internet`` loop!!
Since when are there any Olympics underway now? Why in the world? Must be
because now scheduled during this hour is Music Performance: BBC Symphony
Orchestra in China! Yet, I can get a stream of same concert from Shanghai, via
some other relayer (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. Program grid on WRMI schedule page has not been updated, as of Jan 6,
but Jeff White sent this new schedule as of Jan 4 for the 13-16 M-F period on
7385, formerly occupied by WRN; note two new times for WORLD OF RADIO, Thu 1431
and Mon 1331:

MONDAY
1300-1330    Wavescan
1330-1400    World of Radio
1400-1415    DXPL
1415-1430    Aventura DX
1430-1500    Viva Miami
1500-1530    Radio Prague
1530-1600    Reality in Jesus

TUESDAY
1300-1330    Viva Miami
1330-1345    DXPL
1345-1400    Aventura DX
1400-1500    La Rosa de Tokio
1500-1530    Radio Prague
1530-1600    Noticiero Logos Internacional (Radio Logos Network)

WEDNESDAY
1300-1315    Mundo Radial
1315-1330    Monitor DX
1330-1400    Dialogo Cruzado (Radio Logos Network)
1400-1430    Viva Miami
1430-1500    Jack Van Impe
1500-1530    Radio Prague
1530-1545    DXPL
1545-1600    Aventura DX

THURSDAY
1300-1315    DXPL
1315-1330    Aventura DX
1330-1400    Sal y Luz (Radio Logos Network)
1400-1415    Truth for the World
1415-1430    Radio Vaticano
1430-1500    World of Radio
1500-1530    Radio Prague
1530-1600    Viva Miami

FRIDAY
1300-1330    Global Crisis Watch
1330-1345    Monitor DX
1345-1400    La Verdad para el Mundo
1400-1430    Viva Miami
1430-1445    DXPL
1445-1500    Aventura DX
1500-1530    Radio Prague
1530-1600    Wavescan
(Jeff White, WRMI, Jan 4, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. Channel surfing, UT Sat Jan 6 at 0540 I noticed the
http://www.drgenescott.com website and phone number in the lower right corner
of a program on KOPX-62 OKC (via Suddenlink Enid cable 22), while some woman
was preaching. Yes, it`s Melissa! She wears a black pantsuit but with a
cover-all jacket, a far cry from her previous attire, and with a clerical
collar. The local newspaper just lists this hour as one of a string of paid
programs, not worthy of individual identification, and in fact it is a kind of
infomercial. TV Guide online does the same, so from consulting them, you would
never know she was on. Zap2It, however, does show ``Pastor Scott`` at 11 pm-
midnight CT M-F. Seems her preaching style bears some resemblance to DGS, but
not quite so gruff --- who could possibly be that gruff? Later ID supered as
``Pastor Melissa Scott``. Toward the end she attempted to sing accompanied by a
rock combo.

But that`s not all; after commercial breaks, at 0600 UT on came Defunct Gene
Scott himself, tho Zap2It shows both hours with the same ambiguous title
``Pastor Scott``; don`t know if the hours are always split up this way, but the
main DGS website only shows Sun-Fri 10-11 pm on the entire i (ex-Pax) network,
that being Pacific time and days, the world standard as far as The University
Network is concerned. Neither was parallel SW 5935. And does not mention a
separate hour for PMS, tho she does have a separate page linked from the main
site (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. The January orgy season is underway at Harvard`s webcasting
WHRB, a feast of music by single composers, performers, or odd topics,
mostly but not all classical. Details:
http://www.whrb.org/pg/JanFeb2007.html or
http://www.whrb.org/pg/JanFeb2007.pdf
After the current War Horse orgy, it gets a lot more esoteric. Enjoy!
73, (Glenn Hauser, OK, Jan 3, dxldyg via DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** WESTERN SAHARA [non]. If it`s a punch-up mistake, they keep on making it for
a while longer. R. Nacional de la República Árabe Saharaui Democrática was
still on 6458, Jan 6 at 2150 check with song and talk in Arabic, 2200 continuos
talk, perhaps news. No ute QRM at the moment (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING
DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. José Miguel Romero in Spain has been hearing something from or
about the Dominican Republic on 5460 when he listens to the Ten-Tec remote
receiver in Newton MA.

Nothing audible here on 5460 at 2347 UT Jan 4. I listened to Newton for 10+
minutes at 2312 Jan 5. Since there are two stations mixing plus several more in
the background, but very little fading, I believe this is a local Boston-area
mixing product. It could be transmitted or produced in the receiver, with which
I am not familiar. In this big city there is a high concentration of strong MW
transmitters, so such things are bound to happen, but not of much real
interest, except no chance of hearing R. Bolívar actually on 5460, underneath
this mess!

No trace of anything here on my own receiver on 5460, Jan 6 at 2158,
strengthening my conclusion that whatever is heard on the remote receiver in
Newton MA tuned to 5460 is some local mixing product (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 5915, continuous tone of about 1 kHz, 2203 Jan 6; perhaps Zambia
does this after sign-off? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

http://mail.yahoo.com

Preorder your WRTH 2007: