[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs January 16-18

** AUSTRALIA [and non]. Unlike 24 hours before, RA was missing from 9580 at the
early hour of 0658 UT Jan 17: just Africa Numéro Un, Gabon, and ditto 24 hours
after that Jan 18 when ANU was quite good. Strangely, had no QRM from it when I
was hearing RA Jan 16.

Jan 18 at 1435, heard RA 9590 going from tennis (live and late?) to Nightlife
chat show joined in progress, apparently both from the ABC Local Radio network,
where that show is normally scheduled 10 pm - 2 am, AET, which would be 11-15
UT. How come RA is relaying Local Radio instead of Radio National? Summer
vacation I suppose has something to do with it, but I suspect RN still exists
even then. Furthermore, it seems to me that totally contradicting its name,
Local Radio is another NATIONAL network of ABC, right? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

** CUBA. Spy letters, presumably from Cuba, Jan 17 at 1445 on 5882.0: these
were on A1, real CW with carrier on and off, unlike the MCW or A3 ones on 5800,
5930, etc., in the 05-08 UT period. 5-letter groups, but occasionally switching
to punxuation; fair (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CUBA. Checked at 1723 UT Jan 16, R. Rebelde was on 15370, not 15375, VG
signal // recently reported other new frequency, 17555, which was mixing
heavily, almost zero-beat with WYFR, but Cuba atop. Why does Cuba come up on
WYFR frequencies? Maybe retaliation for WYFR using 6000. Anyhow, Cuba has SW
transmitters to spare in the RHC 1500-2000 break (Glenn Hauser, DX LISTENING
DIGEST)

** CUBA [non]. Radio República via VT Communications, UK:
2200-2400  6135 RMP 500 kW / 285 deg Cuba Spanish
0000-0400  6185 RMP 500 kW / 285 deg Cuba Spanish
0200-0500  9630 SAC 250 kW / 176 deg Cuba Spanish Tue-Sat
0300-0400  6100 SAC 250 kW / 176 deg Cuba Spanish Tue-Sat
(DX Mix News, Bulgaria, Jan 16 via DXLD)

We had thought that 6100 was from Rampisham, not Sackville, following 6185
which ended at 0300. Please check whether 6185 is really on during the 03-04
hour. Also, are 9630 and 6100 synchronized at 03-04? 9630 is RMI-brokered,
while 6100 is supposedly not, so should be separate programming.

9630 and 5970 via Germany are brokered by RMI, one with VTC and the other with
TS, so my question about 6100 remains; also, it ought to be 7 days like 6135
and 6185 if it is in fact the final hour of that span instead of 0300 on 6185.

So I checked it out myself after 0300 UT Jan 17: there was nothing on 6185, no
jamming or RR audible; in fact no XEPPM either at least on the portable in the
iced-over yard. Both 9630 and 6100 were propagating, and they are not //, with
separate RR Spanish programs, and both jammed. BTW, aside from the jamming,
6100 RR is rather distorted, much like Planet Rock was a sesquimonth ago. From
this we still can`t be certain whether the 6100 site is now Sackville or
Rampisham, but if it is Sackville, they are running separate RR transmissions
on 9630 and 6100.

Then Raúl Saavedra, Costa Rica, heard 6100 until 0359* but unseems Sackville,
mixed with rock music, Planet Rock again? And then I heard from Giampiero
Bernardini, Italy that RR was on new 6215 17 Jan until 0300*, so does that
replace 6185? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CZECH REPUBLIC [non]. DX Mix News, Bulgaria, shows R. Praga still relayed
via Canada in Spanish at 2330 on 6000. Confirmed 6000 with R. Praga at 2340 UT
Jan 16; however, it is still colliding with RHC in Spanish, roughly equal level
here! The former 2330 Sackville relay in English on 5990 is gone; that must
have collided too with a Cuban transmitter, as the squealing CRI relay in
English is again heard alone now.

R Prague`s own website http://www.radio.cz/en/frequencies continues to show
these as well as the defunct English relays at 1500 on 15160 and 0400 on 5990,
both via Sackville (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** GABON. Afropop music distraxion was on 17655, Jan 18 at 1500 (Glenn Hauser,
OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) See also AUSTRALIA

** MEXICO. XEYU, 9599.4, unlike 24 hours earlier, was not to be heard Jan 17
around 0656 (nor was XEXQ 6045), but XEYU was on at 1448 with oompah band
(called Ichán or something like that), then full ID as R. Universidad Nacional
Autónoma de México, and talk about Latin America`s largest supercomputer being
at UNAM. Usual het until 1500 from something on 9600.0, presumably CRI in
Khmere as in EiBi. Julián Santiago says the nominal testing hours of XEYU are
now 12-24 UT. Also heard Jan 19 at 1440 with monolog on Oaxaca, but not earlier
at 0630 check (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** TURKEY. Listened to Live from Turkey webcast, Tue Jan 16 tuning in late at
2000; hosts were talking about David Crystal. Apparently his comment some time
ago that the show was no longer live came to their attention, but they assure
us it is. They criticised how he just wants to say his piece rather than have a
conversation or answer questions about Israel vs Palestine --- but nevertheless
he is welcome to call every week. He did not this week, nor did anyone, at
least not after I started listening.

Live from Turkey, Thu Jan 18 around 1400 on 12035 and 11735, had Christer
Brunström from Sweden, I think, discussing global warming. Poor-fair reception
on both (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

Preorder your WRTH 2007: