Re: [HCDX] Dxers Unlimited's script for 4- 5 September 2007

Radio Havana Cuba
Dxers Unlimited for  4-5 September 2007
By Arnie Coro
CO2KK

Hi amigos !, welcome to the mid week edition of Dxers Unlimited reaching
you from Havana at a time solar activity is very , very low, and
geomagnetic activity is also at extremely quiet levels, certainly what
scientists have expected for this downward phase of the solar cycle. The
very low solar activity now lasting for several weeks has led to what
could best be described as about the worst HF propagation conditions
seen during the present solar cycle, but things may take a turn for the
better as we approach the autumn equinox. I am Arnie Coro, radio amateur
CO2KK, your friend here in Havana, join me for the next eighteen minutes
of on the air and on the world wide web time provided by RHC for this
radio hobby show. Item one: This is going to be a Dxers Unlimited
special edition devoted to on the air reading of some of the latest mail
received here at Radio Havana Cuba’s correspondence department... I want
to thank you all for the nice and encouraging letters that constantly
reach us here at the station . Item two: : FM broadcast band Dxing
special edition coming up soon,  at the request of many listeners that
have found this aspect of the hobby a really
Interesting and challenging one indeed.... Item three: Selecting the
right microphone for your amateur radio transceiver can improve your
station’s perfomance dramatically... but here is my question... why try
to find a special kind of microphone , when you can design and build a
taylor made audio pre amplifier for your rig, including a set of tone
controls to play with  and optimize the frequency response for your voice!!!
Stay tuned right on this same short wave frequency, .I’ll be back in a
few seconds with this special QSL on the air edition of Dxers Unlimited,
your favorite radio hobby program on short wave.
This is Radio Havana Cuba, the name of the show is Dxers Unlimited ,
this is our mid week edition ... Here is now QSL on the air, again here
today at the request of many listeners who wrote after listening to our
weekend edition OK, listen to this flattering e-mail  from Don
Kupfersmith, it is titled Very Educational and I read... quote   Hi, I
have been employed in electronics and industrial radio most of my 62
years. I also enjoy listening to your broadcasts , I only wish I had
found your program on the short wave sooner. I tell my associates who
are interested, and wish to enhance their knowledge in this field, Thank
you for the great information, signed Don K.... Thanks Don, and do keep
listening and promoting the radio hobby among your friends amigo,
letters and e-mails like this one are certainly encouraging !
QSL on the air to Michael Bolton N5RLR, a nice ham radio call indeed,
easy to remember , here is what N5RLR says in his e-mail ..by the way
this one was apparently lost in cyberspace and took a looong time to
arrive here in Havana,  Hola Senor Coro , CO2KK,  How are you ?
I thought I take time and write you complimenting you on the fine
programming at Radio Havana Cuba. Being a radio amateur myself, I
especially enjoy your Dxers Unlimited feature. I liked the recent
installment about open-wire transmission line, and how a resourceful
radio operator can construct if from recycled materials. However Arnie,
you didnt mention anything about the gauge and spacing of the wire used.
I’m sure that broadcast-production constraints, such as the 16 minute
program length ,may prevent you from getting too detailed, and I am sure
that you know we “hams” like to hear about detail...
Now here is my answer to Michael N5RLR regarding the open wire
transmission line feature that I ran not too long ago here at Dxers
Unlimited... YES amigo Michael, I should had given at least some kind of
ballpark figures... So , thanks to you , I am going to talk again about
the open wire transmission line made from recycled telephone company
downlead, and plastic insulatoring spreaders made with PVC pipe cut to
length... For HF bands operation, from 160 meters all the way up to ten
meters, my favorite open wire transmission line uses 4 inch separation
between the wires, that is 100 millimeters for those of you that are
already metric...I have found that the 4 inch or 100 millimeter
separation makes for an easy to build and later install and work with
pararell transmission line... Of course you can use separations as wide
as say, 10 inches or 25 centimeters, or as small as 50 millimeters or
two inches with almost exaclty the same results, but, the 4 inch or 100
millimeter separation is , in my humble opinion the best compromise...
Cut your spreaders from PVC plumbers type pipe, the one that is white in
color, and avoid the gray or black PVC, as it may have some kind of
conducting material added during manufacturing, something that is
certainly not good for use as an HF bands insulator... So amigo N5RLR,
if you want to install a nice open wire transmission line feeding an
antenna for the HF bands, use wire gauges from no 20 to no 12 , and line
seperation of 4 inches or 100 millimeters, the line’s impedance will
change with different wire diameters, but you really not need to be
concerned about this at all....
This is Dxers Unlimited’s mid week edition... today devoted to listeners
correspondence ... N5RLR has more questions in his letter, which I will
answer soon here too... now let’s take a look at another e-mail that
came from Columbus in Indiana, USA, this one is from a newcomer to the
radio listening hobby, Clyde Parrot, who happens to be the prowd owner
of a Sangean ATS909 receiver. While scanning the 31 meter band, he tells
me the following... and I quote from Clyde’s e-mail... “Just after
midnight this morning, I was listening to my new Sangean ATS909, just
scanning the 31 meter band, when I happened upon a strong signal at 6180
kiloHertz. The time was 0540 UTC , . The program was your Dxers
Unlimited, Clyde continues to write, you were talking about solar flares
and possible damage to satellite communications. Then from about 0543 to
0546 the topic was about constructing a 2 transistor ½ watt QRP
transmitter that is capable of working half way around the world.
I continue reading Clyde’s report  “The strength of the signal was good
, about half way up the scale on my ATS-909, which I am using with only
the built in whip  ( I think that that’s called barefoot... BUT no
Clyde, you are wrong, barefoot is one you run an amateur radio
transmitter or transceiver without an amplifier... that is barefoot
!!!As you may see ham radio jargon is one of a kind .... Clyde then
tells me in another paragraph of his e-mail that , and I quote “I am
very new at this, and am wondering if the above information is typical
on what one would expect to include in a reception report for requesting
a QSL  ?.
And Clyde then says, thank you  for your help...I very much enjoyed the
program and will be listening in the future... You perform a great
service... end of quote...
Amigo Clyde... you did great with your signal report, see, you gave the
name of the station, the frequency it was operating , an evaluation of
the quality of the received signal, and a well written short description
of the program content... And of course you gave an exact time
check...If you follow this same pattern, you can be sure that every
short wave station that stills takes care of its listeners and sends out
QSL letters or cards, will be most thankful for your report and will
send a nice QSL card for your collection !!!
QSL on the air, yes amigos , QSL on the air here at Dxers Unlimited...
QSL on the air  once again to amigo  JT Spence in Saskatoon,
Saskatchewan , Canada... I must, and I mean this, I must share with you
all the enthusiasm of JT , when he came across what was obviously a
tropospheric duct enhancing long distance, DX reception of FM broadcast
band stations... Here is how JT described his first FM band opening...
Dear Arnie, I just wanted to tell you about the MOST phenomenal thing I
have EVER had happen to me with my short wave receiver in ALL the time
that I have been listening and receiving broadcasts from near and afar
... Anyway the phenomenal event which ocurred was that far away the FM
stations reached the S meter maximum  signal strength indication...
Well amigo JT in Saskatoon, get ready for more tropo ducting... a
weather related phenomena that makes the FM broadcast band signals
propagate much farther than normally, as the lower atmosphere’s radio
refraction index increases, making the VHF radio waves bend enough to
propagate beyond the normal radio horizon.... By the way, weather
related propagation phenomena have absolutely nothing to do with
sunspots and solar activity !!!
Yes amigos, we do QSl here , since the very first day that we went on
the air with a Gates  1 kiloWatt and a half wave dipole antenna on the
49 meter band, during the month of february of 1961... QSL requests
should be sent via AIR MAIL to Arnie Coro, Dxers Unlimited, Radio Havana
Cuba, Havana , Cuba, or simply to Arnie Coro, Radio Havana Cuba, Havana,
Cuba, and via Internet e-mail, you can send your signal reports and
comments about the show, together with the QSL request to arnie@xxxxxx,
again arnie@xxxxxx, hope you have enjoyed today’s special edition of
Dxers Unlimited, which was totally devoted to your letters and e-mail
messages to me...
  And now amigos, as always, at the end of the show, here is Arnie
Coro’s exclusive HF propagation update and forecast... Solar activity is
now at extremely low levels, with the solar flux reaching almost the 65
minimum units ever recorded during a solar cycle minimum... So amigos,
propagation conditions are going to be really poor or simply non
existent at frequencies above 20 megaHertz for many more days..Best DX
band for radio amateurs is going to be 20 meters up... but don’t expect
fantastic openings of any kind…, 6 meter to the South may happen during
your local afternoon and early evening hours as we enter into the Trans
Equatorial Propagation season... For short wave listeners, best daytime
bands for near FM quality listening will be 19 and 16 meters, with later
in the day 25 meters running a close third place... And a reminder
amigos, don’forget to send in your signal report and comments to
arnie@xxxxxxx Keep those receivers tuning from the highest possible
frequency they tune to DOWN, and when you detect the first DX signals,
mark that frequency, as there are good chances that this would be very
near the F2 layer maximum useable frequency for a given path... See you
all at the weekend edition of the program next Saturday and Sunday UTC
days amigos !!!

Preorder your WRTH 2007: