[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs December 9-10

** ALBANIA. 13640, no sign of R. Tirana, scheduled in English to NAm, Dec 10 at
1536 check. Must be down for maintenance? Antenna repairs? (Glenn Hauser, OK,
DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** AUSTRALIA. RA continues to be inaudible on its normally potent 31m
frequencies: Dec 10 at 1347 could not hear on 9580 or 9590, but OK on 6020.
Presumably near Summer Solstice, the 9 MHz signals are getting absorbed rather
than refracted where the first hop would normally be in our direxion, the
pre-sunrise MUF being at its lowest, altho one might otherwise conclude that
they are no longer on the air at all (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** BULGARIA. R. Bulgaria, 15700, Dec 10 at 1356 with splatter out to 15680 and
15720, peaking most at 15685 and 15715, bothering station on 15690 (Glenn
Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CANADA. The Sackville transmitter relaying NHK on 11705, at 1416 Dec 10,
exhibited a lite squeal, a bad sign of impending trouble. Let`s hope they don`t
let it deteriorate as much as WEWN and RHC. Was about immigration in Sweden, so
I checked Yamata 7200 to be sure it was really NHK programming instead of a
feed mixup at Sackville, and indeed it was // 7200 tho a couple seconds out of
synch (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CUBA. Once again, R. Havano Kubo`s weekly Esperanto broadcast heard on 13760
in addition to 11760, Sunday Dec 9 at 1502, as they were giving schedule, not
mentioning 13760. But at 1507 recheck, 13760 was gone, so I suppose it was just
running over after previous transmission in Spanish, while 11760 continued
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) See also VENEZUELA

** CUBA. Surprised to find the DentroCuban Jamming Command running at full
force on 7405, UT Mon Dec 10 at 0637 during the weekly truce when R. Martí is
off the air; however, 6030 was clear of both (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING
DIGEST)

** CUBA. RHC stayed on late Dec 10 to celebrate Human Rights Day. Sí, amigos,
you heard me right, Human Rights Day, from the home of repression! Noticed at
1505 on 15370, 13760 (an echo apart), 13680, 12000, 11805, 11760, 9550, YL
going on and on in Spanish about how there are more HR in Cuba than elsewhere,
where people can get educated and medicated. It`s a north-vs-south issue. The
US blockade is ``genocidal`` --- then how come we are providing Cuba with food,
despite it? That`s the thanks we get? Another prime twisted example of The Big
Lie from our Commie neighbors. Nothing much said about freedom of the press,
other traditional human rights. This was apparently run-up to a speech by some
OM (not Fidel) which was underway at 1520; all gone at 1601 recheck. Meanwhile,
she threw in a frequency announcement at 1517 mentioning all of the above plus
9600, which as usual was incorrect, no RHC there, fortunately for XEYU 9599+
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** ETHIOPIA [and non]. DW Amharic jamming check, Dec 10 at 1437: 15660, white
noise jamming, some audio detectable; 15640, only jamming; 15620, DW Rwanda
good except for flutter, no jamming.

11900, Dec 10 at 1525, could hear talk mixed with white noise jamming, i.e.
Tensae being blocked; not DRM (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** GUIANA FRENCH. Strong DRM continues regular here on 15790-15795-15800, Dec
10 at 1355 and still at 1606. HFCC registered as Issoudun, France TDF, but
Guiana French has been missing from 17870-17875-17880.

15795 is STILL missing from DRM`s own schedule at
http://www.drm.org/livebroadcast/livebroadcast.php
which claims ``Last modified: 2007.12.07,12:24.00#5#+00:00``
and is evidently identical to
http://www.vtplc.com/communications/product.asp?itemID=1021&catid=486
attributed to Klaus Schneider and presumably identical to yet another version
http://www.baseportal.com/cgi-bin/baseportal.pl?htx=/drmdx/main&sort=kHz,UTC
and yet2 another version of the same data:
http://www.radionetherlands.nl/features/media/dossiers/drm_schedule.html

So, if Klaus Schneider doesn`t know about it, the info is not on any of these
schedules. Perhaps we need a real alternative? Posts from Dec 3 to Dec 6 on the
drmna yg, however, confirm 15795 is Montsinéry, carrying RFO Guyane programming
for Martinique and Guadeloupe, so also favoring NAm in azimuth (Glenn Hauser,
OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** POLAND [non]. PRES, 9450 via Wertachtal, GERMANY, Mon Dec 10 at 1324-1337
had a very welcome feature on Polish classical music, CDs recently issued, etc.
Good reception as we can expect only around Solstice (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

** SAUDI ARABIA. 13710, Arabic yelling, distorted, but fortunately,
undermodulated, Dec 10 at 1523. Rather reminded me of Brother Scare 100 kHz
higher via Germany. 13710 listed as Riyadh, 295 degrees.

15205, huge buzz overriding muezzin, --- Allah`ll get `em for that --- 1602 Dec
10, also bothering 15210 WYFR with Open Forum translation into Arabic, as if
any Arab would care what Harold Camping thinks, and extending down past 15200.
15205 is the terribly defective BSKSA transmitter, Riyadh at 320 degrees toward
us, no thanks. Don`t their engineers have any professional standards? Is no one
in the chain of command capable of making a decision to turn it off unless
fixed? Not // BSKSA 15435 Arabic talk, VG modulation there (Glenn Hauser, OK,
DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** SWEDEN [non]. R. Sweden had an excellent report on the Nobel Prize award
ceremonies, on their Dec 10 broadcast, 1530 via Canada 15240. Catch a repeat if
you can, or ondemand (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. WBCQ, 17495-CUSB, Sunday Dec 9 at 1510 discussing overnight delivery
and blown speaker. Not Al Weiner show. Scheduled as The Zeph Report, 14-18 UT
Sundays only. A few minutes later it was back to gospel-huxterism. There was
another signal underneath causing a slight ripple against WBCQ`s reduced
carrier, but not like the 9330 collision where they were a few hundred Hz
apart. That of course is Democratic Voice of Burma, via Madagascar, daily
1430-1530 on 17495, as EiBi reminds us (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. KAIJ, missing from 5755, at various nighttime chex Dec 8-9, and also
from 9480 in daytime. Still no sign of KAIJ on 5755 or 9480 UT Dec 10. However,
the webstream is running normally, with scheduled programming checked Dec 10 at
1630. This is not too surprising, since that comes out of the studio/HQ in
Murfreesboro TN.

George McClintock tells me that he has not been to the transmitter site, but
info from Two If By Sea president Mike Parker is that: on the weekend of Nov 30
there was apparently a lightning strike, which melted wiring in the conduit, so
the remote site near Frisco TX has been without power. Delays in getting it
back are caused by the need to get bids from contractors, actually do the work,
get it inspected, etc., etc., at some distance from The Metroplex. It is
believed the transmitter, with surge protection, was not damaged. Will be back
on ASAP. This problem has nothing to do with rumors that KAIJ is being sold.
George adds that since the datalink company changed hands, there has been
better service and less downtime in getting the program feed from TN to TX
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** VENEZUELA [non]. Another no-show for ``Aló, Presidente``, Sunday Dec 9, the
first day of UT -4:30, so perhaps HCF was confused and didn`t know what time it
was. At 1506 checked all the usual frequencies via Cuba, 17750, 13750, 13680,
11875, 11670 and nothing there. However, an hour earlier I did hear presumed
RHC mixing with WEWN on 11875, so A,P probably started at usual 1400 and was
cancelled during the following hour (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. For the record, the mystery 1181 kHz carrier is still there, and
from the same direxion when checked at 0240 UT December 9 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. Dec 10 at 1344 did a quick out-of-bandscan looking for the
50-kHz-wide clicks which we think are Chinese OTH radar, and found them, this
time indeed inside the 40m hamband, 7045-7090, plus 6610-6650; at 1348,
5195-5240, 5355-5410, 5550-5590; at 1419, 11415-11435. That one seemed only 20
kHz wide, but the actual bandwidth may depend on the overall strength, and the
frequencies given are only approximate, as the signal weakens gradually as it
spreads out (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. As I was out-of-bandscanning for Chinese OTH radar clix, came
upon large S9+20 extremely distorted FMy blob centered about 10906 kHz, Dec 10
at 1420. Talk in seeming western language, could have been English or Spanish.
No // found on 9 or 11 MHz bands, not RHC. Slope detexion on hi side marginally
improved intelligibility but still nothing recognizable. 1430 went into equally
distorted music, 1438 talk again. Could not take any more of it, so despite my
deep curiosity and desire to identify it, went back to the much more pleasant
unID Arabic music on 15150. At 1504 recheck, 10906 was gone. Wish I had FM
capability which probably would have helped. Likely horribly mistuned
transmitter, and finding the intended frequency will be difficult, as not a
leapfrog or harmonic which could be calculated. Hope others can hear this
subsequently, but may prove to have been a one-off, like 7733.5, Nov 7 at
0639-0715 as in DXLD 7-135 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 13848 spreading at least 5 kHz up and down, a continuous noise
but as if keyed irregularly, maybe 7 or 8 shorts, than 2 or 3 longs. Blocked
DGS via WWCR 13845 which was weak anyway as usual here, at 1506 Dec 9, and same
a few minutes later. Possibly jamming something on 13850? Ah yes, Israel`s
Persian, its only remaining external service (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING
DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 15150, Dec 9 at 1534 and earlier, M singing slowly in very minor
key would be an understatement, Mideastern style, and also at 1606 recheck.
Looking up later, I don`t find anything likely on the three major online
listings, other than possible Indonesia, but doubt that from fair strength, and
style.

15150, continuous Arabic music, some instrumental, much of it vocal too, Dec 10
at 1358, no // found on 15, 13 or 11 MHz bands; one-minute pause at 1359 but no
ID or announcement of any kind before music resumed. Monitored on and off
during following hour; same break at 1459; also a pause at 1521 but maybe just
changing CDs or something. Still going after 1600, but weakening with flutter.
Wolfgang Büschel & Noel Green say the span for this is 1300-2000, and suspect
it is Libya. Erik Køie, Denmark, suspects Iran.

During pause at 1559 heard part of the WYFR trumpet IS before it cut off
abruptly --- unfortunately, I had two radios on at the time, the other tuned to
15240 where R. Sweden via Canada had just closed, and was in another room so
cannot be sure WHICH speaker that came from! It should not have been on either
frequency (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)  ###

Be a better friend, newshound, and

Preorder your WRTH 2007: