[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs, December 14-16

** AFGHANISTAN [non]. Wolfgang Büschel`s reports of new 13830 for R. Solh were
before 1400 UT only. But Dec 14 I checked at 1346 and still nothing on 13830,
as I was reconfirming on 15265 yet yet yet again that at that very hour, R.
Solh is still playing the same sticking music CD as it has for months now. The
new 13830 broadcast is axually only at 1230-1330 via Rampisham (Glenn Hauser,
OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** AUSTRALIA. RA propagating again on its best frequency for North America
[not], 9580, Dec 14 at 1358. Unfortunately, I tuned in only seconds before it
went to a fragment of W. Matilda, interrupting programming, and off, leaving
quite weaker 9590 to continue (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** GUIANA FRENCH. Presumed site for unlisted DRM, 13860-13865-13870, still
strong Fri Dec 14 at 1348 check, but missing Sat Dec 15 at 1439. Probably
another M-F only operation, or channel could be gone after a brief test period.
TDF now plans to be running DRM at any hour on 5050-5055-5060 for domestic
coverage (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** INDONESIA. VOI, 9526.0, lasts another day, Dec 14 at 1359 wrapping Korean
with e-mail address voi @ rri-online.com pronounced more or less in English,
and into Indonesian (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** IRAN. 13790, muezzin fair at 1350 UT Fri Dec 14. HFCC says this is Iran`s
Arabic service, 0530-1430, 500 kW, 178 degrees from Kamalabad (Glenn Hauser,
OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MALAYSIA. Usually all I hear is a weak het around 6050, but in the absence
of XEXQ 6045, Dec 15 at 1409, a muezzin was doing his thing on approx. 6049.7,
1411 into talk in presumed Malay, then some music.

Aoki, which does not bother with decimal off-frequencies, shows 6050 only as
RTMalaysia Sarawak, at Sibu, 10 kW in Malay. If anybody posted a B-07 RTM
schedule, it escaped us, but it includes several wooden registrations,
including TWO sites on this frequency, both Sibu at 0200-1500 10 kW, and Kajang
(Kuala Lumpur) at 0200-1700 with 50 kW. Ron Howard measured the off-frequency
one on 6049.63 back on Nov 7 and said it was Suara Islam/Voice of Islam via RTM
at 1540-1635 so that would presumably be KL and NOT Sarawak (Glenn Hauser, OK,
DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 6045, XEXQ is back again, Dec 14 at 1355 check with classical; not
very strong. Gone again, Dec 15 at 1400 check (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING
DIGEST)

** SAINT HELENA. R. Saint Helena Day 2007, Dec 15: I`ve heard it several times
before, so did not try this year until 2151 when it was supposed to be aimed at
ENAm starting at 2145. Immediately on tuning in 11092.5-USB, heard an ID, but
it was very weak and nothing further intelligible on the YB-400 with indoor
wire wrapped several times around the ceiling of one room. Experimenting with
other receiver and antenna combinations, best results not on the FRG-7, but on
the DX-398 with primary E-W exterior longwire, so stayed with that. Did not get
much better, mostly music, occasional ute QRM such as at 2200, so quit at 2207,
and resumed at 2241 in preparation for the WNAm beam to start at 2245.

By 2241 signal was considerably better, music playing seemed to have reverb.
2242 giving edress which I could not copy, music. I had to back off the RF gain
to avoid puffing, but this does not mean the signal was extremely strong,
steady at 8 out of 14 bars on the scale when RF gain at max. 2247 a phone call
on the air with American accent but could not tell who it was; he said
reception was very good. 2248, Carole King`s ``You`re So Far Away``. I had not
noticed any change in strength around 2245, perhaps because in CNAm we are
splitting the difference between their ENAm and WNAm aimings. 2252 mentioned
Western North America, and then full ID with MW and SW frequencies, ``annual
broadcast``, and all the different targets. 2255 ``God Is Watching Us`` tune;
2300 giving phone number, could not copy, more talk, marred at 2304 and more
strongly at 2305 by that ute QRM of a tone and then several seconds of
``running water`` noise. 2307 a country music song by a woman, and I quit. Nice
to hear RSH again, but it`s about time to try a different frequency. Quick
recheck at 0045 Dec 16: not audible (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** THAILAND. Another lucky day for R. Thailand`s English at 1400-1430, as Costa
Rica was absent from 9725, Dec 14 at 1416, but even so signal was only poor
with flutter (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** TURKEY. VOT, 12035 better than // 11735, Friday Dec 14 at 1410 with
``Turkish Capital`` program, not sure of title, but was about different
companies and what they produce, e.g. fruit juice, tiles, bandages. Fascinating
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. Contrary to usual Dec-Feb scheduling, WWCR has remained on 15825
during the 21-22 UT hour instead of 7465, including WORLD OF RADIO Fridays at
2130. We hope they`ll go back to 7465 for better coverage; discussed further in
DX Listening Digest 7-152 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) ###

Be a better friend, newshound, and

Preorder your WRTH 2007: