[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs November 9-11

** AFGHANISTAN [non]. Radio Solh, 15265 via Rampisham UK, still with sticking
CD at 1346-1350, but during the following hour has changed the playlist. Nov 9
at 1420 a bilingual song, lyrix in English by a woman, including ``my heart
throbs`` and ``you be my only one``, anyone recognize that? But other verses by
M in Pashto(?) (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** ALBANIA. R. Tirana, 13640, Nov 10 began programming slightly early at
1529:40. I think it would be better to hold the announcement of the complete
English schedule for the end of each broadcast rather than delay the beginning,
when just the current frequency or frequencies in use should be given. It`s
certainly better than never giving SW frequencies like some SW stations, or
never giving them for the transmission in progress, like Radio Japan.

6110: when open carrier came on about 0326 Nov 11, successfully mashing down
noise and QRM on frequency, I was expecting easy listening from RT; but 0330
theme, opening with full English schedule, were very lowly modulated, compared
to neighboring stations, and even more so compared to that guy on the always
heavily modulated 5070 at the same time (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** ANTARCTICA. Friday Nov 9 was another good day for LRA-36. I was about to go
out and didn`t have time to stay with it, but there was music audible on 15476,
not 15475, at 2052, a few minutes before scheduled closing (Glenn Hauser, OK,
DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** ARGENTINA [and non]. After logging Antarctica, I checked to see how well
15345 was incoming, Nov 9 at 2054. Tango music, and announcement in French, so
must have been RAE, but at first I thought there was a subaudible heterodyne,
unlikely for RAE to be that close to nominal frequency to beat against Morocco!
Instead it must have been propagational flutter. The REE service to troops in
ME, 1900-2200 is supposed to be back on 12035 as it was last B, ex-15345 in A
season, as yet unconfirmed here. Nothing audible on the 13363 feeder at this
time (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** BIAFRA [non]. V. of Biafra International via WHRI, reconfirmed at same hour
now as in A-07, Friday Nov 9 at 2053 on 15665 with diatribe about how Biafra
deserves diplomatic recognition, so still at 2000-2100. The apparently spurious
and never confirmed additional broadcast on Wednesdays at 1915-1945 on 13710
has now been removed from the WHR online schedule when searched on VOBI (Glenn
Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) see also ETHIOPIA [non]

** CUBA [and non]. Lately I have suspected jamming on 5955, obviously against
R. República`s latest but weak frequency 5954.1. It`s hard to pull out from the
sideband splatter caused by WYFR 5950 and Sackville 5960, but I am now pretty
certain I am hearing separate grinding. At 0302 Nov 11, could not even detect a
carrier on 5954; if heard at all, that`s better here a few hours earlier.

RHC, 6140, before 0300 UT Nov 11 was quite strong and // 9600. At 0306 recheck
I was hearing something else in Spanish on 6140. At first I thought it might be
the Rebelde or Progreso network, but 0315 a bit of `skylark` music reminded me
that R. Romania Internacional is scheduled here in Spanish; still mixing with
weaker RHC, taking turns dominating
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) See also MEXICO

** ERITREA [non]. Checking the WHR website for WHRA clandestine scheduling of
V. of Meselina [sic, really Meselná as pronounced and on VOMD website] Delina,
M-F at 1800-1830, still shows as 17650. And that is now correct as checked Nov
7 or 8 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** FRANCE [and non]. RFI, 7315, Nov 9 at 0610 with nonchalant newscaster in
English, good signal and surprised it was without WHRI QRM, since WHRI is
scheduled on 7315 during this hour daily. Perhaps RFI persuaded them to move
and the change has not yet been made to the WHR website schedule. Not on 7335
either, whew! Yes, the newscaster`s style reeked of unenthusiasm, unconcern
which is what the French root means, originally from Latin, lacking warmth,
says Merriam-Webster (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** LIBYA. Openings on 13m can be unexpectedly selective. Nov 10 at 1451, 21695
was not only much better than // 17725, but the best signal on 21 MHz, rivaled
only by BBC Ascension 21470. Less hum than usual, too. English talk about
Allah, ID as V. of Africa from the Great Jamahiriyah, then for our dear
listeners, a talk in a series about African countries, Mauritius, going into
its basic geographical facts, 1455 languages spoken there, etc. Someone else
reported VOA feature on Mauritius recently, which makes me suspect they recycle
the same programming several times, as previously noted with items on Martin
Luther King, etc. BTW, Dave Kenny in BDXC-UK observes that VOA is no longer
doing short English newscasts at various times, so it seems for English, this
bihour is it (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO [and non]. XEYU, Radio Unam observations: Nov 9 at 0615 and 1345 good
with classical music on 9599+. Still irregular; Nov 11 before 0300, only RHC
was heard on 9600, but at 0314 recheck both were on with a big het. Narrowest
bandwidth and side tuning could almost get rid of one or the other (Glenn
Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** SAUDI ARABIA. 15380, Nov 9 at 1353, all I could make out was a big buzz on a
weak signal aside Cuban 15370 monster. I can only assume 15380 was the Buzzing
Service of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, as scheduled here, 500 kW from Riyadh,
310 degrees toward NAm at 1200-1400 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** SPAIN. REE, 17595: on Saturday Nov 10 we were spared an interruption at 1455
on 17595 to announce changes in other frequencies; Battle Hymn of the Republic
went right on playing. Not clear why, as schedule shows 21540 for Africa
changing to 17755 at 1500 daily.

I previously noted the new pdf 24-hour program grid for REE which shows
different times for Amigos de la Onda Corta, and on Nov 11 at 0105 confirmed
that it`s no longer aired at its old hour UT Sundays, but instead a show about
the cinema on 6055. Besides two inconvenient overnight hours in NAm, the times
for us to hear it now are UT Sunday 0405, which I missed this week, on 6055,
6125, 9535, 9620, and also via Costa Rica on 3350, 5965, 9675, but 5965
colliding with Vatican; and UT Monday 0330 on same except 9765 instead of 5965
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U K [non]. BBCWS via Greenville now getting a good headstart on the 21-22
transmission; Nov 9 at 2055 already running B-B-C- chimes. This contains the
Newshour 7 days a week, but breaks away for Caribbean news at 2115-2129; is
that still M-F only? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. Seems I have a hard time expressing the proper hour for the Thursday
morning WORLD OF RADIO broadcast on KAIJ 9480. It`s at 10 am Central, but I
find I have referred to this as 1700 UT in upcoming Dec MONITORING TIMES, and
also post-DST on WOR I said it was at 1700. It`s really now at 1600 UT, and
while DST was on, it was 1500 UT! Since I resumed recording WOR on Wednesdays,
KAIJ hasn`t always got the newest one in time to run on Thursdays, but
presumably has done so on the other play Fridays at 6 am Central on 5755. The
latter`s time change from 5:30 am is still not reflected either in the program
schedule at http://24.151.207.180/k/kaij/pages/programs.php
Nor have I reconfirmed these myself lately by monitoring on SW or stream; has
anyone? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** VATICAN [non]. The Sackville relay of Vatican Radio, now scheduled 0230-0400
in French, English and Spanish, on 6100 is facing severe interference since
that`s a Radio República frequency (not in HFCC). Nov 11 at 0258 tune in, heard
VR // 7305 in English telling a story mixed with DentroCuban jamming on 6100,
no República heard, but after 0300 RR was in the mix too. Am not sure where RR
was before 0300, but they had been changing 49mb frequencies via UK (?) on
even-numbered UT hours. Still the heavy QRM at 0328 recheck when VR was in
Spanish (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** VENEZUELA [non]. 11875 via CUBA for ``Alo, Presidente`` on Sundays from 1400
is likely to be colliding with WEWN, which I noticed on Friday Nov 9 is now
running in Spanish on that frequency until 1500 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING
DIGEST)

** ZANZIBAR. RTZ, 11735, just like the Nov 7 log, on Nov 9 at 2055 announcement
by W in Swahili, then M in Arabic for the closing devotional with the usual
opening phrase (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) ###

http://mail.yahoo.com

Preorder your WRTH 2007: