Re: [HCDX] Dxers Unlimited script for 6-7 February 2007

Radio Havana Cuba
Dxers Unlimited
Dxers Unlimited’s mid week edition for February 6-7 2007
By Arnie Coro
CO2KK

Hi amigos radioaficionados, with our traditional salute to those of you
that are listening to this radio hobby program around the world, it’s my
pleasure to share with you about seventeen minutes of air time, and also
we are now regularly on the the world wide web with streaming audio from
our website www.radiohc.cu, from 05 to 07 hours UTC…
Now here is item one, our number one most popular section of the show…
ASK ARNIE, that today is answering a letter
that came via e-mail from Atlanta, Georgia, USA. Here is the letter…
Dear Arnie:
I heard your show on Saturday February 3, 2007 and found it very
interesting.  Reception in Atlanta was excellent.  In particular the
segment about front end filters and amplifiers.  Could you please email
to me a copy of the materials describing your filters and amplifiers.

Thank you.
Signed
Joseph
Now here is part one of my answer to amigo Joseph…
Dear amigo:
Thanks for the reception report.It would be nice to know on what
frequency you had such an excellent reception...as we are using several
frequencies to your part of the world, and also the show is on the air
at different times of the day.
As regards to your request, I will send you detailed information about
the "boxes" that I have designed and built to improve short wave
receivers front ends,including the schematic diagrams.
I also use them on my homebrew receivers with excellent results.
First of all you and all short wave listeners must realize that there
are huge signals now present all along the short wave spectrum, that
come from very powerful transmitters running up to 500 and even 1000
kiloWatts that are then connected to antenna systems that concentrate
the power into a very limited target area, so the so called effective
radiated power may be in some cases up to 100 megaWatts, or one hundred
million Watts !!!
So, radio receivers have to deal with those huge signals at their input
a problem that becomes especially difficult when the radio is connected
to a large size external antenna.
Signals present at the antenna input terminals of the receiver are
really significant, and they may generate many problems, like something
  known as cross modulation , that makes reception of the desired
station practically impossible because the very powerful signal from
another station mixes with the desired station making listening
extremely difficult.
That's why even a very simple antenna input attenuator connected between
the external antenna and the radio receiver helps so much in providing
better reception. Even a good quality carbon potentiometer of between
500 and 2000 ohms will help a lot to improve reception, especially in
the case of low cost receivers that don't have very good front end
selectivity.
A better option is a resistive STEP ATTENUATOR, that may even be
calibrated in DECIBELS OF ATTENUATION , something that may prove to be
quite helpful in assesing the signal strength of different stations.
The STEP ATTENUATOR that I use here is calibrated in the following steps
0 dB attenuation, that is antenna connected directly to the receiver's
antenna input 3 dB attenuation, that meaning that half of the signal
power is attenuated
10 dB attenuation, that meaning that the signal reaching the receiver is
one tenth of the signal available at the input
20 dB attenuation , that meaning that the signal reaching the receiver
is one hundred times less than the signal at the input of the attenuator
and finally 30 dB , which is rarely used, but still useful when doing
some tests, and , of course 30 dB means that the power available at the
receiver's
antenna terminals is one thousand times less than at the input of the
attenuator.
It is really amazing to operate a low cost portable short wave receiver
using a properly connected external antenna via an input  resistive
attenuator.
In another e-mail and also here, on the air , for the benefit of other
Dxers Unlimited’s listeners, I will describe  the tuneable bandpass
input filters that will complete my "number one box".... a piece of
equipment that for some odd reasons no commercial manufacturer of radio
accesories is offering to the worldwide radio hobby community, making it
necessary for individuals to homebrew them...

Now standby for a few seconds , a station ID follows…
I am Arnie Coro , radio amateur CO2KK in Havana, stay right on this
frequency or keep connected to www.radiohc.cu
Amigos !!!

………………
This is Radio Havana Cuba, the name of the show is Dxers Unlimited, and
yes amigos, we do QSL, we do verify reception reports with a beautiful
QSL card that is sent VIA AIR MAIL and absolutely free of charge, as we
believe that every international short wave station must QSL to its
listeners as a nice thank you gesture for listening !!! Now here is item
two of this mid week edition of the program…The also very popular
antenna topics section… Monday afternoon I had a nice two way contact
with CO3LE , Eduardo, who is an amateur radio operator that lives about
50 miles away from my home. I had perfect copy from his low power two
meters band amateur station, and when I asked him what he had done to
improve his signal into the Cuban capital so much, he replied that he
had just finished building and installing a nine elements Yagi antenna
that I designed several years ago for my son Arnie Junior CM2KW amateur
radio station. Eduardo CO2LE reduced the power output of his FM two
meters band transceiver to just one Watt and I was still able to copy
him with my zero dB gain omnidirectional antenna.
This nine element Yagi antenna does need a rotor , because its radiation
pattern is very sharp, requiring that it be aimed very precisely to the
station you want to contact. Eduardo , who is a very good mechanic also,
has designed and built a homebrew rotor using a large truck’s windshield
wiper motor, to which he added a control box and power supply, as well
as stop limit switches… The 24 volts DC motor has a gear train with a
very large ratio of revolutions delivered by the motor to the
revolutions delivered by the gear train , so the antenna takes about one
and half minutes to sweep around the 360 degrees of the compass, that is
a very speed for turning around a directional antenna system… faster
speeds make aiming the antenna difficult, and slower ones will take a
very long time to complete one revolution…Given the high cost of antenna
rotors , Eduardo’s project may prove to be a very attractive option for
radio hobby enthusiasts that also enjoy doing mechanical work… He has
promised to bring to Havana on his next trip the complete diagrams of
how he has built the antenna rotor using a big truck windshield wiper
motor, an item that can be found in many scrap yards at very low cost or
just by asking for it…
These direct current motors and their gear trains are very rugged and
well built, and only second to the superb aircraft windshields wiper
motors and gear trains, that are, as expected , designed and built to
much higher standards…
……..
Now here at Dxers Unlimited’s mid week edition is our next item…. The
technical topics section, that today will deal about a very useful radio
hobby shack accessory… a variable voltage direct current power supply,
capable of delivering well filtered and regulated DC between 1.5 volts
and 24 volts… a range that will provide the possibility of testing and
operating a large number of electronic devices.
The prototype of this supply is capable of delivering up to 5 amperes of
current, and its construction is rather simple, because it uses an
integrated circuit voltage regulator that is installed on a large size
heat sink. I have included two analog meters, one to measure the voltage
using two scales,
One from zero to five volts, and the other from zero to twenty five
volts, although recently a friend that visited my workshop suggested the
use of yet another expanded scale so that the voltmeter will read from 9
to 25 volts, so that more precise adjustments could be made in that very
useful voltage range.
The current meter is calibrated in five scales, ranging from
500 milliamperes to 5 amperes, so that one may have a good idea of the
current drawn by the equipment connected to this variable voltage
workbench power supply, something very useful when one is attempting to
do repair work, or when a nice piece of equipment is undergoing its
first rounds of testing.
…….
Si amigos, yes my friends, digital communications systems are offering
amateur radio operators the possibility of communicating under the very
poor propagation conditions that are typical of the lowest activity
phase of a solar cycle, like the conditions that we are having to deal
with at this moment, and with the much lower night time maximum useable
frequencies available, we are now seeing many more stations operating on
40 meters using the very popular and rather easy to put to work PSK 31
keyboard to keyboard digital communications mode…
Stations using PSK31 on 40 meters are gathering around 7070 kiloHertz as
a center frequency,and the classic waterfall display is seeing many
carriers of PSK31 stations on that frequency just after sunset local time…
And now amigos, as always at the end of the show, here is our exclusive
and not copyrighted HF plus low VHF band propagation update and
forecast. Let me start my telling you that February is the month of the
year with the lowest probability of Sporadic E events…, so although
sporadic E events may happen they are very rare at this time of the
year.  REDICTIONS FOR 06 Feb 2007  10CM FLUX: 082 / AP: 007
PREDICTIONS FOR 07 Feb 2007  10CM FLUX: 081 / AP: 010
PREDICTIONS FOR 08 Feb 2007  10CM FLUX: 081 / AP: 010
COMMENT: Solar activity was very low during the last 24 hours. No flares
above C level are expected for the next 72 hours.
Geomagnetic activity was very low during the last 24 hours. Quiet
conditions are expected for the next 78 hours. The solar wind speed
measured by the ACE spacecraft slightly increased to 400 km/s.
Optical sunspot number was at 16 on Monday,
Hope to have you all listening to Dxers Unlimited’s weekend edition
amigos,and don’t forget to set aside a little time to send me Yours
truly, signal reports and comments about today’s program to
arnie@xxxxxx, or VIA AIR MAIL to Arnie Coro, Radio Havana Cuba, Havana,
Cuba.

Preorder your WRTH 2007: