[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs February 7-8

** CUBA. Arnie Coro says he is now aware of the RHC mixing product on 6300
which has arisen since a transmitter was put on 6180, and is working on
suppressing it, but it was still there, Feb 8 at 0637 check in English. After
0700 it was gone as was 6180, allowing Brasília to boom in (Glenn Hauser, OK,
DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** FRANCE [and non]. Noticed WHRI, 7315, Feb 8 at 0628 with CCI, SAH at almost
equal level in African vocal music with ululations. The latter went off
abruptly at 0630 without announcement. Per EiBi B-06, this is RFI in English to
Africa, via France as scheduled (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** GABON. Afropop music distraxion, Feb 7 at 1503 check was on 17675. Feb 8 at
1505 it was on 17620 colliding with RFI; ANU was on 17630 as usual. I also
found similar-sounding Afropop on 17725, Libya via France, but it was not //
and soon at 1509 went back to talk in a weak, unID language, supposedly English
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** GREECE. V. of Greece testing from mystery transmitter site, which some
speculate is Thessaloniki with one of the long-dormant 250 kW transmitters the
USA gave to Greece when Glória, Portugal site was closed years ago. Feb 7 at
1458, 15630 was // 9420, but 15630 carrier was cutting off the air every few
seconds. After 1500 it seemed to be OK, but at 1520 recheck it was cutting off
again.

Feb 8 at 1502, 15630 still had occasional transmitter breaks, but not so
frequently. It was // 9420 and 17525, but 15630 was a reverb-echo apart from
them in Greek talk, indicating different feed routes and/or different
propagation routes (long vs short path?). Another transmitter is supposed to be
on 9935, but not audible here (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** GUIANA FRENCH. Altho heard earlier this week, DRM test on 17870-17875-17880
was absent again Feb 8 at 1508 check (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** INDONESIA. VOI is usually audible with big open carrier and some low noise
on it in the 1400-1530 period. Feb 7 at 1554, during the gamelan music 6:24
loop with IDs in English, I measured the frequency about 9525.9 (Glenn Hauser,
OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** JAPAN. Surprised to hear R. Japan, NHK Warido in English on 9505, Feb 8 at
1457, and at 1459 wrapping up the 44 Minutes show. This frequency is not
supposed to start until 1500, to North America from Yamata, but there is
English scheduled at 1400 on other frequencies, 7200, 9875, 11840. I wonder how
early 9505 came on? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** LIBYA [non]. V. of Africa, 17725 via France, Feb 7 at 1525 had English talk
on African geography; no hum, but lo modulation. Feb 8 at 1505 was playing
Afropop music for a few minutes very similar but not // to the Gabon distraxion
which at that moment was on 17620; see GABON (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING
DIGEST)

** SPAIN. REE, 17595, Feb 7 until 1455, caught with the tail end of a feature
on the 70th anniversary of RNE; wish I had intuned earlier (Glenn Hauser, OK,
DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** TURKEY. VOT, Live from Turkey, Thu Feb 8 at 1420, just caught the last few
minutes, talking about the PKK. This time the relative reception of the two
frequencies matched theory, with 12035 beamed NW much better here than // 11735
beamed E, which was weak, fluttery and echoey. I have also listened to the
Tuesday 1950 edition of this show, or parts of it, the past couple of weeks on
webcast. It`s mostly the hosts railing against the Kurds, and how Europe
doesn`t treat Turkey fairly, etc., etc. Haven`t heard David Crystal from Israel
in several weeks, tho Christopher Lewis from England did call in once (Glenn
Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. Unfortunately, WRMI played last week`s WOR 1345, Thu Feb 8 at 1433 on
7385, altho there was a new edition 1346 available. Fortunately, altho it did
start late, after Vatican Radio in Spanish, it did not end early, lasting
almost until 1502 when R. Prague in English started late.

Would appreciate some feedback this week on how WOR is received from its new
outlet, KAIJ, Friday at 1130 on 5755, 2000 on 9480. (Two airings, not four, as
I misimplied on 1346) (Glenn Hauser, OK, Feb 8, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A [non?]. Feb 8 at 1440, very strong and distorted Korean language
broadcast on 9555, splattering up to 25 kHz above and below. No sign of RHC
which normally dominates with its own dirty signal on 9550, so I think it must
have been off. 9555 was VOA, and so strong that I would have guessed it was
Delano, which I suppose is remotely possible as a backup for scheduled
Philippines at 1400-1500 for this service which after a VOA Washington ID at 20
over S9 went off about a semiminute before 1500, and still no sign of RHC.

HFCC B-06 says this is Tinang at 21 degrees, which means it is also aimed at
NAm, and I suppose propagation from there was just well above average today, as
9760 English was also good.

Korean begins at 1200, and comes from three different sites, one after another:
1200-1230 Saipan, 1230-1400 Thailand, and 1400-1500 Philippines. HFCC also
shows Biblis at 1230-1400, which I guess is backup for Thailand, tho it`s a
long haul from Germany (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

Preorder your WRTH 2007: