[HCDX] Orlando Corridor + other logs

All times/dates GMT, frequencies in kHz unless otherwise stated.

The Terry L Krueger/Gerry Bishop (Krueger/Bishop) credited logs were made during
our drive to/from Clearwater to Orlando on Saturday, February 10th to attend the
Orlando hamfest at the Central Florida Fairgrounds, then to Rock 'N Roll Heaven,
Orlando for vinyl record shopping followed by a quick trip through Winter Park,
Casselberry, south Sanford (Sonny's BBQ pit stop) and Lake Mary prior to the
return home on I-4.  All other logs were made at the Clearwater QTH, unless
otherwise stated.

It was great seeing 'the usual suspects' Paul Zecchino and Bob Foxworth at the
Orlando hamfest.  Sorry we missed or never managed to hook up with Craig Cook,
Ron Gitschier, Juan Gualda and possibly others in the DX Florida group.  As Bob
stated, it's pretty much essential for everyone to have an FRS handheld and
pre-designated channel in order to rendezvous once on site.

Anyone making the I-4 drive from Tampa to Orlando or v.vs. should take the brand
new FL-429 toll road, which terminates west of Orlando on S.R. 50 (Colonial
Drive) and at I-4 just west of Celebration, effectively eliminating the
snot-thick Walt Disney World et. al. tourist swine traffic.  At mid-morning we
were the only vehicle -- save for one semi well behind us -- on the entire
approximately 15 mile route.  On the way home mid-evening, there were no more
than 12 vehicles during our drive, that's north/southbound total.  This won't
last for long.  Two dollars for the entire route, one way.

Will try to update FLPRS with the below appropriate items sometime this week.

710 FLORIDA (CLANDESTINE) Radio Martí relay (via WAQI "Radio Mambí"), Miami;
0512-0525 10 February, 2007.  First log here for me since the reported daily
0500-0600 GMT relay began a few weeks ago.  Radio Martí news and actualities in
Spanish, about one second ***ahead*** of 6030.  Co-channel Radio Rebelde, though
Martí audio overtook and dominated briefly a couple of times.  (Krueger)

780 FLORIDA KAZ5520 "Florida State Fair Information Radio," Tampa; inactive for
the second year in a row during the Fair.  No trace of it on our direct I-4
drive-by, mid-morning 10 February, 2007.  The blue with white text 780 highway
sign was gone last year (extensive construction and mounds of dirt in that area
at the time).  The sign was not put back up; presume this one is no more.
(Krueger/Bishop)

1190 MEXICO XECT "Contacto 11-90," Monterrey, Nuevo Laredo; 1209-1220 10
February, 2007.  Big signal with Spanish contemporary and love ballads, man at
1211, "... 1190 A-M, 99.1 F-M... Contacto..." and several other "Contacto" and
"Contacto 11-90" slogans by tune-out, when the signal was in rapid post-sunrise
decline.  See www.nucleoradio.com/contacto for station information.  (Krueger)

1510 FLORIDA WPZW713 City of Lakeland; 1400-1405 10 February, 2007.  Certainly
the one despite being nearly useless on the audio.  Long looped female or mostly
female, impossible to make anything out though as it was QRMing an unidentified
licensed station and with a slight het (unable to determine who was
off-channel), audible around County Line Road to the Polk Expressway exit
eastbound.

1610 FLORIDA "Manatee Information Radio," Crystal River; noted active again on
the daytime drive south to Krueger's Clearwater location while passing through
Crystal River.  Female looped manatee information, audio hum present.  [calls,
or an entry for that matter, no longer appearing on the FCC's Wireless
Telecommunications website -- TLK]  (Gerry Bishop)

1620 FLORIDA Dept. of Transportation HAR, on I-4 at mile marker 27 eastbound,
Polk County; male quick loop read way too fast regarding how to report road
range and mention of www.I4polk.com.  No DTMF tones.  (Krueger/Bishop)

1620 FLORIDA Dept. of Transportation HAR, on I-4 at mile marker 53 eastbound,
Polk County; female loop with identical text as the mile marker 27 HAR, only
read slower.  No DTMF tones.  Still audible at Exit 60 (near the FL-429 toll
entrance).  (Krueger/Bishop)

1640 FLORIDA WQDC927 City of Casselberry; 2345-2358 10 February, 2007.  NOAA
Weather Radio audio with a couple of useless city proclamations (on by the City
Manager) cycled in.  Very strong, though doesn't appear to cover all of the city
with an A Grade signal, at least heading up US 17-92 to Sanford.
(Krueger/Bishop)

3200 SWAZILAND TWR, Manzini; *0355-0406 10 February, 2007.  Carrier at tune-in,
Interval signal up at 0358 with alternating language ID looped, into German.
Fair.  (Krueger)

4871 IRAN bubble jammer; 0320-0330 10 February, 2007.  Fair, no trace of the
presumed Voice of Iranian Kurdistan target.  (Krueger)

4949.97 ANGOLA Radio Nacional; 0525-0533 10 February, 2007.  Presume the one
with Portuguese man in emphatic monologue, brief highlife instrumental fill.  No
ID or overnight "Radio Madrugada" program ID noted at 0530, just straight
through talk.  Fair.  (Krueger)

5010.04 MADAGASCAR Radio Madagasikara; 0330-0350 10 February, 2007.  Tune-in to
Malagasy man, one clear mention of Anantanarivo, local music fills.  Very good
and in the clear.  Fading pretty quickly after their sunrise and by my tune-out.
(Krueger)

5025 CUBA unidentified program feed; 0451-0502* 10 February, 2007.  Much weaker
than usual, with old Cuban vocals, one mention of "Radio Habana Cuba" (but
unable to locate an RHC Spanish channel to parallel to in time), and not
parallel Rebelde on MW 710 or 1180 kHz, Progreso on 640 kHz or Musical Nacional
on 590 kHz.  Abruptly pulled the plug at 0502*  (Krueger)

6160 CHINA "Firedrake" jammer; 1151-1204 10 February, 2007.  The usual nonstop
mega-loop instrumental/percussion jammer, AM mode, with unidentified Chinese
station under, along with weak English talk format station (possibly one of the
CBC local stations).  Fair, and still there at 1240 recheck and somewhat
improved.  (Krueger)

9200 CHINA "Firedrake" jammer; 1240-1255 10 February, 2007.  Very good with
usual instrumental/percussion loop, alone, AM mode.  (Krueger)

9599.3 MEXICO XEYU "Radio UNAM," México, DF;1534-1555 11 February, 2007.  Very
good with classical music, but the top end of the audio is now clipping badly
and sounding extremely scratchy.  The beginning of the end for this
briefly-fixed transmitter?  (Krueger)

10400 CHINA "Firedrake" jammer; 1240-1255 10 February, 2007.  Clear but much
weaker than 9200 or 6160, AM mode.  Also noted at 2030 on 11 February, 2007,
clear but weak.  (Krueger)

11735 TANZANIA Voice of Tanzania-Zanzibar, Dole; 1935-2003 11 February, 2007.
Very good and alone with language Islamic-influenced female vocal, into
interesting semi-psycho local instrumental, more vocals, 4 slow and one slower
time sounders at 2000, Swahili man with news headlines till 2002, into flute
fill with the same man talking atop.  (Krueger)

89.5 MHz FLORIDA WKSG and "Rock-It Radio" (program), Cedar Creek; the mystery
reception of what was believed to be a new northwest Orlando area pirate
identifying as "Rock-It Radio" as first reported to "Florida Low Power Radio
Stations" by Craig Cook, Oviedo, is solved but not after considerable effort and
monitoring time.  Just after entering the FL-429 toll booth from eastbound I-4,
around 1430 GMT 10 February, 2007, we tuned to 89.5 and had a fair and steadily
improving stereo signal with "The New River Bluegrass Breakdown" show consisting
of bluegrass and bluegrass gospel [great show, I might add -- TLK].  Occasional
spots for Ocala and Sumter County small businesses, mention of this being a
Daystar program and www.daystarradio.com.  Finally just before 1500, a "WKSG,
Cedar Creek" ID.  We did not know the particulars of this station until
returning home and checking the FCC dB: 30 kW ("Broadcasting at 26,000 watts" on
the WKSG landing page body text, "30,000 watts" at the top of the page),
licensed to Daystar Public Radio, Titusville, FL.  However, the city of license
is Cedar Creek, a small hamlet a few miles northeast of Ocala and within the
Ocala National Forest boundary.  Station address is 7 Silver Springs Blvd.,
Ocala, FL 34470... Advance to 0100 GMT, 11 February (2000 local, 10 February):
at the Sonny's BBQ restaurant parking lot in Sanford, tune-in to what was
believed to be the reported "Rock-It Radio" pirate, playing alternative, Active
Rock and Nu-Metal tracks (some Christian-influenced bands, such as POD).
Extremely professional male DJ, lots of slogan ID's but NEVER any call letters
or anything resembling a licensed station ID on the top of the 2000, 2100 or
2200 local hours noted.  A few liner reads regarding events (mostly central and
north-central Florida band appearances), a reference to "... One East Silver
Springs Road [sic? Blvd? -- TLK]..." and mention of www.myspace.com/rockit.  The
signal was huge from Sanford and along I-4 westbound to FL-429 (west Orlando),
finally almost unusable at the FL-429/I-4 junction.  Upon returning home, a
check of the WKSG webpage lists "Rock-It Radio" as "Friday 8 p.m. till midnight"
local.  But note that this reception was made on a local Saturday. The WKSG
online program guide lists "Rock-It Radio" hosted by Sputler as Saturdays, 8
p.m. to 1 a.m. with the Top 30 Shuffle (matching the show theme we heard), and
Fridays with the theme All Request Friday.  A separate show "Monday Night
Lighter Side" hosted by Jonathan Tony, and "Extreme Worship" on Sundays 8 p.m.
to 1:00 a.m., are listed, leaving Tuesday through Thursday undocumented.  So,
what was thought to be a pirate is really the "Rock-It Radio" show, apparently
Friday and Saturday nights via WKSG.  Thanks to Gerry Bishop for putting
two-and-two together regarding how our WKSG morning log and the evening "Rock-It
Radio" signals matched geography reception, to which I then dived in to research
on the web.  (Krueger/Bishop)

93.5 MHz FLORIDA (PIRATE) unidentified, Orlando; 1940+ 10 February, 2007.  Heard
on Colonial Drive between the Central Florida Fairgrounds to downtown with
nonstop hip hop and gangsta rap.  Big signal and modulation.  No announcements
noted, maybe a "Downtown Radio" morph or re-morph?  (Krueger/Bishop)

93.9 MHz FLORIDA (PIRATE) unidentified, Orlando; 1945+ 10 February, 2007.  Tuned
in at Colonial Drive at Tampa Avenue, Orlando (near downtown), quasi-English
reggaetón and soca.  Big signal, no slogan ID's.  Also noted at 2258 not too far
away in north Orlando at about the same level with Mystic Vibe store ad, which
was pushing "Bob Marley shoes" (huh, shoestrings tied in dreadlocks?), but still
no slogan ID.  Clean, a bit heavy on the bass.  (Krueger/Bishop)

96.9 MHz FLORIDA (UNLICENSED but PT. 15) Assembly Hall of the Jehova's
Witnesses, Plant City; 1340-1342 10 February, 2007.  Local level open carrier
very briefly present while zipping along I-4 eastbound, peaking near Exit 22
(old 14).  The church is near this exit, north side of I-4.  Same open carrier
noted on the return home.  I've noted this one while passing through on some
mid-mornings with live church service audio, including Spanish sermons at
undocumented (poor records on my part) times.  Mono signal.  Audio presumably
intended for attendees on and near the property, and/or used as an A/V equipment
feed.

97.1 MHz FLORIDA (PIRATE) "9-7-1," Orlando; 1955+ 10 February, 2007.  A new one
here (a fair amount of activity on this channel previously, though no reports I
can locate for quite awhile).  Loud, somewhat overmodulated near downtown, first
tuned to on Colonial Drive and S. Orange Blossom trail vicinity.  Local store
ads, promos for local hip hop and rap group shows at clubs, Afro male DJ,
several "Nine-Seven-One" slogan ID's.  (Krueger/Bishop)

Terry L Krueger
Clearwater, Florida
USA
27.55.83 N, 82.46.08 W

Visit my "Florida Low Power Radio Stations" at:
http://home.earthlink.net/~tocobagadx/flortis.html
                        or:
http://www.geocities.com/geigertree/flortis.html

Preorder your WRTH 2007: