[HCDX] Wolfram Hess - silent key

Time to Say Goodbye.

Silent key  -  Wolfram Hess, DL1RXA and DK0DX.

Wolfram suffered an apoplectic stroke and died on February 9th, 2007; just before the very last broadcast of Ham radio and SWL hobby program "World DX Meeting" on Deutsche Welle's English service mailbox program on Febr 25/26, 2007.

Started his occupational career as hobby program presenter on former GDR external service "Radio Berlin International". After the collapse of the eastern block he was well known as presenter of "DX Aktuell" hobby program on Deutschland Radio Berlin broadcaster [former RIAS Berlin]. And was too, well known as "Sunspot Cycle and HF broadcast condition prediction 'Pope'" in the ham radio scene in Germany and and beyond.

Listen to some DWL World DX Meeting programmes in .mp3 or .ra format:

http://www.dw-world.de/dw/0,2142,9542,00.html

click to
Current Solar and Ionospheric Weather Report
and you will see a photo picture of Wolfram.

73 wb  df5sx

It's a pity, on 4th weekend in Febr 25/26, DW English sce will be ceased, and carry then the very last edition of DX program by presenter Wolfram Hess DL1RXA and DK0DX, a well known ham operator too and presenter of RBI_GDR days ... (wb, wwdxc BC-DX Jan 21)

>From dxld:
Listening via the Mailbag file, they also announce, "This DW World DX Meeting is supposed to be the second to last, only one more, in February". But at the closing referring to next month, "hope it`s not the last time", but concluded with "Partirn" by Bocelli, I think, "Time to Say Goodbye" duet with a soprano, mixing Italian and English. Is there no German version of this??

(...)
I have heard them use this song to end programs before although I don't recall which DW program it was. The Sarah Brightman - Andrea Bocelli duet "Time to Say Goodbye" was a huge hit in Germany in 1996 then it did well in the UK as well, pretty much set Brightman on her current career course (that and being married at one time to Andrew Lloyd Webber). IIRC, it was a closing theme song for a World Cup/silly ballgame or something. I find it to be a particularly beautiful duet.
(ibid., dxld Jan 2007)