[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs February 13-14

** FRANCE [and non]. Not only are the NETHERLANDS ANTILLES getting
reclassified, but so are Wallis & Futuna and French Polynesia, per a brief item
on R. Australia news in English Feb 14 at 2204 on 15515: henceforth they are to
be known as ``Overseas Communities``, which I suppose is originally
``Communautés d`Outre-mer`` (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** GABON. Feb 13 Afropop was on 17660 yet again until 1531* but no flutter
today. Africa Numéro Un on 17630 was in normal programming of its own in French
around 1500 check, but after 17660 went off I checked 17630 and it was off too;
only CRI in English via Mali was to be heard. Finally at 1536 mixing with open
carrier, and at 1537 ANU was back on 17630. It looks like a transmitter change
was made during this period, i.e. 17660 unit moved to 17630. Unlike the day
before, ANU, 17630 did not break transmission around 1530 Feb 14. And 17660,
Afropop music distraxion, closed as usual at 1531*

I have not heard the 19160 harmonic for several weeks in almost daily chex
around 1500, but Feb 14 I had the opportunity to look for it later, at 2140,
and there it was, fair level of S9 + 7 but modulation below equivalent level;
thought I heard some English words and then checked fundamental // 9580, which
was much stronger; they were introducing some Lionel Ritchie music (Glenn
Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** GREECE. Checking again on Feb 13, at 1519, VOG test on 15630 via SVO,
Olympia Radio, was managing to stay on without any breaks in carrier or
modulation, so maybe there is hope; // 17525 and 1520 ID. Nope, at 1527 during
music there were some modulation dropouts, but carrier stayed on. At 1552
recheck, 15630 was off; John Babbis says it closes around 1545. I stayed on
frequency, and 15630 came back on at 1553 with carrier, now presumably Avlis,
and 1557 into music. 10 kW to a log-periodic is doing very well as far as
signal strength compared to 100 or 250 kW from Avlis curtains.

Checking out VOG via SVO, Feb 14 at 1430, 15630 was doing well but still some
occasional audio dropouts. This is supposed to be only 10 kW on a log periodic
at 310 degrees for Pirgos, which crosses: Brittany, Newfoundland, Montpelier,
Nashville, Houston, Corpus, Monterrey, according to my National Geographic
globe with geometer.

(It was bothered by pulse QRM of about 10 per second peaking every 30 kHz from
15 to 19 MHz, which I soon traced to a new Toshiba TV set, turned off but
plugged in, and had not caused such a problem before!) (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

** JAPAN. On 9760, continuous jazz from 0715 Feb 14, weaker but separable from
RNZI 9765. What could it be? Of course, it was R. Nikkei, as IDed in Japanese
about 0726 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** TURKEY. Another VOT transmitter/frequency screwup: Feb 14 at 1458, heard VOT
IS interspersed with Arabic IDs, on 12035; 1500 six pips and opening Arabic
service. Per printed schedule just received, this is supposed to be on 6120!
12035 was supposed to go off a semihour earlier following the English broadcast
beamed NW. A few days ago I heard the other English frequency starting at 1330,
11735, also on the air half an hour late. Are they asleep at Emirler, or is
something preventing the frequencies from being changed, so they are making do
with the frequency they are stuck on?

Since VOT program schedule in English is not to be found on their website,
http://www.trt.net.tr/wwwtrt/tsr.aspx

I will retype info from the printed schedule postmarked 30 January and received
13 February by P-mail. As usual the info is presented in an extremely confusing
manner. There are four different columns for each day of the week, English I, I
Term, II Term; English II, I Term, II Term.

These ``Terms`` are not defined, but presumably refer to the first and second
halves of 2007, Jan-Jun and Jul-Dec. The terms used to be quarters, but in
recent years have been semesters. It turns out that there are only a few
differences between English I and II, and Terms I and II.

Since we know the days and times when Live from Turkey airs, Tuesday at 1950
and Thursday at 1350, we can conclude that English I and II refer to the
broadcasts containing and not containing the live shows which pre-empt other
programming on that day of the week.

English I shows LfT on Thursday, so that means English I refers to the 1330
transmission, but if you want to know what is on all the other Thursday English
transmissions, you should look at English II.

Conversely, English II shows LfT on Tuesday, so that means English II refers to
the 1930 transmission, and if you want to know what is on all the other Tuesday
transmissions, you should look at English I.

Is that clear??? Carefully comparing all the other programming listed on each
day of the week, it is confirmed that LfT is the only difference between
English I and II.

// apparently means fortnightly alternating programs, as we know that is the
case with DX Corner. John Norfolk keeps track of which weeks it`s on in
DX/SWL/MEDIA PROGRAMS at http://www.worldofradio.com

A couple of programs have (r) after them, unexplained, and omitted below. This
probably means repeats from previous years, rather than repeats from earlier in
the same week; namely, The Harem, and From History.

So here is the program schedule as we have tried to make it more comprehensible
and user-friendly, despite lack of exact timings of each show with the 50-55
minute transmissions. Since there are only two changes for the second term,
July-December 2007, they are shown in brackets on Friday and Sunday.

DAILY:
News, Review of the Turkish Press; then:::

MONDAY:
>From Turkey; Hues and Colours of Anatolia; Turkey`s Non-Governmental
Organizations

TUESDAY:
Sports Round Up, on all; Live from Turkey at 1950
OR Agenda, Atatürk through his Memoirs, The Harem on the others

WEDNESDAY:
Review of the Foreign Media, The Middle East from Turkey`s Window; Letter Box

THURSDAY:
Agenda, on all; Live from Turkey at 1350
OR The Balkans // Eurasia, on the others

FRIDAY:
The Harem [July-Dec: New Dimensions of the Armenian Issue], Turkish Album, From
History // Turkish Capital

SATURDAY:
Outlook, From Our Correspondents, From History // DX Corner, Masters of Turkish
Pop Music

SUNDAY:
>From the World, In the Wake of a Contest [July-Dec: Skilled Hands], Blue
Voyage, Turkish on Radio, Turkish Music

The folder also describes four of the programs; some may be new ones:

EURASIA --- Bi-weekly [meaning fortnightly], focusing on the process of change
in Central Asia and the Caucasus since the dissolution of the USSR. Attempts to
illuminate the region`s energy-based conflicts, and its future.

TURKISH CAPITAL --- bi-weekly [fortnightly], describing rôle of Turkish
entrepreneurs in the market of a globalizing, ever-shrinking world. The
creativity and potential of Turkish capital and entrepreneurship will be given
an identity in this program. [are there any entrepreneuses in Turkey?]

HUES AND COLORS OF ANATOLIA --- Weekly, continues to describe all the hues and
colors of Anatolia, the cradle of civilizations. The history of universal
cultures born in Anatolia will come to life in this program.

HAREM --- Weekly in Jan and Feb on the VOT`s wide spectrum of programs you have
become accustomed to over the years, ranging from culture to the arts, from
news to music, offering something for everyone. [how`s that for explicitness;
so not about harems?? And what replaces it in March? Not given]

English transmissions:
0400  6020 Eu/NAm, 7240 As/Af
1330 12035 Eu [but also C&ENAm], 11735 Au/As
1930  6055 Eu
2130  9525 Au/As
2300  5960 Eu/NAm
The transmission schedule is for B-06, effective only until 25 March.

Then we know all broadcasts move one UT hour earlier, and most if not all
frequencies will change for A-07, but this is not explained. The website is
given, but no info about listening to webcasts; instead, all the pertinent info
for listening to satellite broadcasts.

We happen to know that webcasts carrying the English transmissions are in fact
accessible at mms://212.175.166.3/RDVOT
But why was I hearing German on that at 0022 UT Feb 15?
Or try to figure out which button to press at
http://www.trt.net.tr/wwwtrt/canli.aspx

The printed program folder also has an article about Mevlâna, since 2007 is
World Mevlâna Year (had you heard?), about Sufism, Whirling Dervishes, etc. And
another about the 2006 Essay Contest with a group photo of the 10 winners of a
14-day tour of Turkey, including Volker Willschrey and Christopher Lewis (Glenn
Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. Speaking of unstable transmitters, here`s one that really is: WINB,
13570, Feb 14 at 1455 during preacher. Turn on the BFO and you can hear it
warbling (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. Feb 14 at 2126, found RFI Spanish via Guiana French on 17630 with
loud warbling noise severely interfering. At first I thought the Montsinéry
transmitter was malfunxioning, but then I noticed that the noise was offset on
the low side around 17629, and could be avoided by tuning to the high side. Oh,
oh, it`s a spur from some other transmitter. On 16m the primary suspect is
always KVOH 17775, and sure enough, that was the source, confirmed by comparing
modulation peaks, as the audio was unintelligible. Several times in the past we
have found very strong spurs at equal spacings both sides of 17775, and this
was again the case, frequencies approximate:

While 17775 was S9+20, the primary matching spurs on 17629 and 17921 were only
slightly less strong, S9+15. The higher one had nothing to het against, and
17629 did not either after RFI closed at 2130. These are 146 kHz from the
fundamental.

So as in previous cases, I looked a further 146 kHz away from the above
frequencies. Secondary matching spurs were indeed found on 18067 and 17483.
These were much weaker and I did not attempt to get a strength reading on them.
But are there more?

Yes, a further 146 kHz away, distorted KVOH audio // 17775 could be detected on
18213 and 17337! Could there be even more?

Yes, a further 146 kHz beyond the tertiary spurs, 18359 was just barely audible
but I could not confirm anything on its mate which would be 17191.

This old KVOH transmitter is in horrible shape and modulation is always
distorted on the fundamental. Audibility of the spurs may have been enhanced by
excellent propagation at the moment from Rancho Simi, California. I am never
quite sure whether they are always transmitted at the same level, and my
hearing them depends on propagation enhancement, or if the relative power
emitted on the spurs axually fluxuates (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

http://new.mail.yahoo.com

Preorder your WRTH 2007: