[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs February 16-17

** ANTARCTICA. Following wide reports of LRA-36 on Feb 13 and 14, nothing on
15, I tried on Feb 16 at 2042, and could hear a carrier on 15476.0 occasionally
fading up with music; improved by 2049 with continuous music, some vocal,
accompanied by bagpipe-sounding instrument.

Signal seemed to be AM rather than USB, and not 15475.9. Along with the
improved strength, this leads me to wonder if they have a new transmitter, or
refurbished the old one. During previous period of activity a few months ago
they were reportedly running at reduced power, and they were on USB + reduced
carrier.

We should not forget that we are able to hear this thanks to CVC Chile
evacuating 15475 last year, following pressure we put on them. And there are no
other signals anywhere near 15476 during this time period. Fortunately in this
case, VOG via Delano relay on 15485 is also kaput, tho keeps appearing woodenly
in HFCC.

Strength was about S2, but occasional peaks to S5 or even S7, or in SINPO
roughly 25332 at best. Never heard any announcements, tho could have been
during fades. Kept going past 2100 with music, but disappeared around 2106
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CANADA. Liz Cameron, MI, fears CBCNQ is missing from 9625, but I still hear
it, such as Feb 17 at 1404 in CBC news. Signal was 12 over S9 but as always,
very undermodulated. This must be the lowest-priority service at Sackville and
it gets the worst transmitter.

Was also listening to CRI relay on 15230, now free of CubaRM, Feb 17 at 1455,
but when ended at 1500 transmitter stayed on or came back with a few strange
sounds; and at 1525 past 1530 a tone test was running on 15230, altho I cannot
be sure it was still Sackville (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** GREECE. VOG via SVO Olympia, 15630, Feb 17 at 1522, very weak but could
detect no breaks in carrier or modulation. However, others are still reporting
this problem at other times on other frequencies (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. XEYU, 9599.2, 0628 Feb 16, again audible after midnight local, with
church chanting at first like a mass but then morphing into something less
conventional. Modulation distorted and cutting out, but signal at 15 over S9;
however at 0636 a quick fadeout or cutoff. Also good signal of 12 over S9 Feb
17 at 1536 with percussion, rap (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** NETHERLANDS [non]. Looked for the Cupid Radio transmission to NAm, Sat Feb
17 at 1526 on 15070 but could not hear anything; however, at 1532 there was
2-way SSB in Spanish on 15071. At least I recognized a few Spanish phrases and
`cambio` but the rest of it was incomprehensible (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

** PERU. R. Visión, 4790 [did not measure the offset], Feb 17 at 0558 amid
pentecostal service, using that word, giving a website including lacosecha.org
but could not catch all of it, and ID for R. Moderna, 930 in Lima, and another
station in Chiclayo, but I could not catch the name and it may have been
something else, on MW. Fair reception with constant CODAR swishes (Glenn
Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** SOUTH CAROLINA [non]. Sabbath broadcast of Brother Scare on 17810 via Guiana
French did not come off: Feb 17 at 1520 and still at 1538, nothing but a big
open carrier, hum. Meanwhile the service was on WWRB 9385 as usual, tho some
speaker other than BS when I checked (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. No signal on 7385 around 1428 Feb 17; WRMI off the air? (Glenn
Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

Never Miss an Email

Preorder your WRTH 2007: