[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs February 20-21

** ANTARCTICA [and non]. I don`t check every day, but Feb 20 at 1956, no sign
of LRA36 on 15476. The closest signal was something very weak on 15465,
presumably Portugal scheduled until 2000 at 226 degrees to WAf and SAm (Glenn
Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** GREECE. Same old story with ERA5 test via SVO, Feb 21 around 1500 on 15630:
frequent carrier breaks making it unlistenable; when on, pretty good signal //
17525 Avlis (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** SAUDI ARABIA [and non]. I am again hearing French on 17660, at 1508 UT Feb
21, mixing with and underneath the Afropop music distraxion; something which
was not there before yesterday. It is not // 17630 ANU, nor // 15300 RFI. I
believe it is BSKSA, ex-21600. The signal again fades down greatly before
Afropop goes off at 1531. There is a fast SAH between them of about 15 Hz. An
interesting thing I have noticed more than once. Just before Gabon cuts the
carrier at 1531, for a few seconds the SAH level increases. This must be
because the Gabon output power steps down briefly before going off; that is,
BSKSA momentarily has a relative strength advantage. Presumably BSKSA continues
on 17660 at least until the French bihour ends at 1600, but after 1531 the
carrier is barely detectable. No doubt those further east could confirm this.

VOA, 17895, via Botswana, in English at 1444 Feb 21 had fluttery co-channel QRM
from something. Per EiBi, that must also be BSKSA, which overlaps on 17895 at
14-15, both broadcasting to different parts of Africa. BSKSA frequency
management is the pits:

17895 1200-1500 ARS BSKSA HQ A NAf
17895 1400-1700 USA Voice of America E EAf /BOT
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** SPAIN. REE had an excellent show discussing US-sponsored coups in Iran and
Guatemala in the 1950s, interviewing various authorities in Spanish but with
accents, apparently North Americans. One quite fluent nevertheless slipped and
said ``una programa``. The show was rudely interrupted at 1455 UT Feb 21 on
17595 for the mandatory waste-of-time frequency change announcement. Axually
all they do on 17595 is move the antenna beam southward, which could probably
be accomplished in less than a minute during a real programming break at 1459.
Grrr! Per schedule, this is ``Documentos``, Wed at 1400+ (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

** SUDAN [non]. I wrote to SRS, and they kindly sent me a pdf of their new
program schedule as of Feb 14, including SW frequencies still missing from
website; that is now available in the files - programs schedules folder in the
DXLD yg. The frequency schedule converted to UT is:

M-F 0300-0500 7280, 0500-0600 9525; 0400-0600 13720, 1500-1800 9840
Sat 1500-1700 9840
Sun 1500-1600 9840
Apparently no longer a Wednesday 14-15 on 9660. 9840 is Moscow, but where are
the others? Latest EiBi says 13720 and 9525 are UAE; that 9840 switches from
Moscow to UAE at 1700; 7280 switches from Skelton to UAE at 0330, times it
should be interesting to monitor. I wonder if they use Skelton and Moscow
rather than UAE for all transmissions because of transmitter unavailability, or
if it is really thought to be propagationally advantageous to do so? (Glenn
Hauser, Feb 21, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. Christians vs Christians! There is a big collision between WEWN and
WYFR now on 7455. The night before I found that WEWN had moved from 7540 to
7455, and posted as such on its schedule, at 23-13, and assumed WYFR must have
moved off 7455 at 07-11, but it did not! Feb 21 at 0711, found both of them
there, along with the RTTY which should have dissuaded both broadcasters from
using 7455 at all. At that moment, WYFR was on top, with Camping in English, at
most favorable skip distance from here; RTTY was next; and below that, WEWN
could be heard in music // weak 11870 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. WTJC missing again from 9370, Feb 21 at 1438 check, as well as
various other times, not just on Sunday, as I supposed previously (Glenn
Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. Is Marie Lamb OK? I had a report that DXing with Cumbre has been
repeating the old standby pirate show for three weeks. Feb 21 at 1727 UT I
checked WAER webstream for Marie`s jazz show scheduled weekdays 15-18 UT, only
to hear some other woman doing it, Jane McGreasy, who said she was sitting in.
She is not among those pictured on the staff list at
http://www.waer.org/stafpics.html where I went to check the spelling of her
name (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

http://mobile.yahoo.com/mail

Preorder your WRTH 2007: