[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs February 22

** AUSTRALIA. See TURKEY [and non]

** GREECE. Just for variety, Feb 22 at 1507 check, ERA5 via SVO 15630 test
during music had dropouts in modulation rather than carrier, unlike // 17525
Avlis which suffered from neither (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** PHILIPPINES. In another futile check for CFRX, Feb 22 at 1407 I came across
this on 6070 which I had not noticed before: clearly and slowly enunciated
declamation, presumably preaching, in what sounded like Vietnamese; ``Abraham``
mentioned frequently so this is no Buddhist, Confucian or Commie station, and
not likely Jewish or Moslem either even tho they are supposedly equally
Abrahamist to the Christians. Paused about once a minute for a bit of music
which sounded about the same each time, probably derived from a hymn.

Ranges S3 to S9, averaging S6; no QRM from no CFRX. 1423 went to music and kept
it going until 1429 when YL ID mentioned ``phat-thanh``, i.e. radio station in
Vietnamese, but could not catch ID. Bit of music, IS, sounded like ``Jesus
Saves``, but not sure, and then off at 1430. No clues in PWBR ``2007``. WRTH
2007, however, shows 6070 is FEBC Bocaue with daily ethnic broadcasts in
various languages at 1400-1430. But is it really Vietnamese? Why not publish a
complete language schedule?

Let us look elsewhere. HFCC B-06 shows the language as ``MUL``, whatever that
means:
6070 1400 1430 43S,44S,49 BOC 100 280 1234567 291006 250307 D MUL PHL FEC FEC
13130

EiBi B-06 shows:
1400 1430       PHL FEBC Manila EC  SEA 6070
1400 1430 Th-Sa PHL FEBC Manila RAD SEA 6070
which is contradictory, since the first listing means daily, and the second
means Thu, Fri and Sat. In the EiBi readme.txt key we find:

EC  Eastern Cham (Vietnam)
RAD Rade/Ede (Vietnam)
Since this was Thursday, I suppose it was Eastern Cham, some Vietnamese
dialect, altho it could have been Rade/Ede.

I also looked for this on the FEBC websites, but gave up trying to find ANY
schedule of SW transmissions, tho there is lots of other stuff designed to
impress potential donors.

However, FEBC is geographically challenged, even about its own operations. Look
at this page http://data.febinfo.org/p_stations.php
showing coverage maps from numerous transmitter sites, most of which are not
owned by FEBC, starting with Ascension, which they think is part of St. Helena
(or vice versa?) !!! So if you can manage to hear an FEBC broadcast via
Ascension, you may imagine it`s axually Saint Helena. And furthermore, most of
them, even Bocaue, display as being in use 0.0 hours per week. Axually, all
other transmitter sites in the world would qualify for listing as in use 0.0
hours per week! Why not? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** TURKEY [and non]. Tried for Live from Turkey, Thu Feb 22 at 1355; 12035 was
audible with only fair signal but cut off the air between 1400 and 1404. //
11735 was just barely audible and not usable on this occasion. What little I
did hear was a discussion over phone with a guest, not likely a random caller,
about the TRNC and its problems.

No matter; I tuned over to R. Australia`s relatively good signal on 9590 after
1430 during Hindsight which started at 1405, and heard something I would never
hear on VOT: a lecture about the Armenian Genocide, and how it related to
Gallipoli, and how early Australia related to early Turkey, by Robert Manne.
More about that and audio download available for the Feb 18 show at
http://www.abc.net.au/rn/hindsight/default.htm

``Uncomfortable Thoughts on Gallipoli and the Armenian Genocide

'Uncomfortable Thoughts' is one way of describing Robert Manne's 2006 History
Council of Victoria lecture. In it he challenges one of our most precious
foundation myths and asks 'Does our proximity to the Armenian genocide matter?
Do we need to notice, or care? How does collective memory shape our view of the
Gallipoli? And how does a national consciousness evolve?'`` (Glenn Hauser, OK,
DX LISTENING DIGEST)

Looking for earth-friendly autos?
http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center/

Preorder your WRTH 2007: