[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs February 23-24

** ANTARCTICA. Once again, no sign of LRA36 when checked 15476 Friday Feb 23
just before 2100. Seems like it is only on maybe 2 or 3 days a week (Glenn
Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** GABON. ANU harmonic of 9580 on 19160 audible again, but barely, Feb 23 at
2100. Meter said S9, but could barely make out some speech along with
high-pitched hum, not the buzz of yore (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** GREECE. ERA5 via SVO, 15630, Feb 24 at 1442 during English hour with
inevitable carrier dropoffs every few seconds. John Babbis suggests they may be
doing this just to hold the frequencies, keep other stations from occupying
them; so it doesn`t really matter if no one can stand to listen to them (Glenn
Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** GUINEA. Following Al Quaglieri`s tip, I too heard presumed Conakry with
music at 2330 Feb 23 on 7125. Only fair; some ham was unimpressed and was
sending CW within 1 or 2 kHz thus requiring no BFO (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

** ISRAEL. Kol Israel, 15640, Feb 24 at 1604 with Saturday-only service in
Spanish/Ladino, mostly songs, and occasional announcements in slightly strange
Spanish, which must have been Ladino; 1625 into IS for 5 minutes and 1630
without announcements into Hebrew(?) rock music past 1635. This quarter-hour is
supposed to be in French, before Ladino-only at 1645 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

** NETHERLANDS [non]. Sat Feb 24 at 1501, RN was putting in a good signal via
Madagascar, on 12080, opening a program about an artist. Sounded quite
interesting, but did not have time to listen for a semihour, so made a note to
catch it ondemand later. But what show was it? Checking the weekly programme
preview newsletter for Feb 23, nothing about it! I had to go back to the
previous week`s newsletter to find it listed under Thursday Feb 22:

``*** Dutch Horizons *** More than thirty years after his death, the work of
Dutch graphic artist MC Escher remains popular all around the world. His
woodprints and lithographs possess a unique quality that makes them instantly
recognisable. Where did he get the inspiration for his powerful black and white
landscapes, clever abstracts and mind-boggling metamorphoses? Join Bertine Krol
for a special edition of Dutch Horizons about MC Escher and find out.

Broadcast times on SW (UTC): 1027 (Asia/Far East/Pacific), 1227
(Eastern N America), 1430 (South Asia), 1827 & 2000 (Africa), 0027 (Eastern N
America), 0127 (Central N America), 0527 (Western N America) Repeated: Wed 1500
(South Asia), Wed 1900 (Africa)``

Which DOES NOT mention this Saturday 1500 repeat! Wish RN would get its act
together on this. So I go to http://www.rnw.nl and figure it must be under the
Culture and History heading:
http://www.radionetherlands.nl/features/cultureandhistory/

No, not there! So I search on Escher, and see that the same show was originally
classified as a Documentary in June 2005, but now it`s Dutch Horizons. Was
hoping for some visuals to accompany, as, let`s face it, radio about the visual
arts cannot be left solely to the imagination; and there are some on this page
along with audio linx:
http://www.radionetherlands.nl/radioprogrammes/dutchhorizons/060405dh

And a rather long article, a partial transcript? Plus the inevitable bloggy
comments by (only) a triad of listeners (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. KAMG-LP 92.1 finally went on the air in Enid Feb 18 at 1700 UT,
and I tuned in after an item about it in the Eagle Feb 24. It`s in Spanish with
seemingly continuous alabanza music, just what we need, from Amigos Ministries.
Much more in upcoming DXLD 7-025 as I tracked down their transmitter site and
spoke with the proprietor (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** SAUDI ARABIA. Checking again the new frequency of BSKSA, 17660, which
collides with Afropop music distraxion: Afropop used to jump around from day to
day between 17620 and 17695, and may still do so before 1400 when it has real
jamming of Sawt al-Amal to accomplish, wherever it goes, but after 1400 when I
check it`s on 17660. I suspected that BSKSA is opening 17660 as early as 1400,
since that`s when the bihour in French is supposed to start, as formerly on
21600. Feb 24 at 1430 I could detect something under Afropop, just barely. At
1457 recheck, the SAH was heavier, and at 1525 rerecheck, BSKSA in French was
axually on top in a bad collision.

After Afropop was off at 1531, BSKSA remained audible and in the clear, with
detailed newscast by woman (help me, help me, not to get turned on by hearing a
woman`s voice on the radio; those wicked Saudis!). 1542 martial music, maybe
their news theme, and into a talk about literature. By 1555 BSKSA was
weakening, well after local sunset in Riyadh; bird chirping along with a
meditation, again by a woman, mentioning Abraham. WYFR came on at 1559:30 with
IS and right into Portuguese hymn, well atop BSKSA which may have gone into
English if not off, but I had to give up. I await reports from east of Enid
about how long the English, which is originally two hours on the domestic
service, may last on 17660, or if they intend to turn it off immediately but
sometimes dally as they did on 21600.

Also Feb 24 at 1549, VOA English 15205 via Lampertheim, Germany, had co-channel
with a fast SAH from something in Arabic, a speech, or should I say sermon,
with reverb. I can only assume this is also BSKSA, with the Holy Qur`an service
not supposed to start on 15205 until 1600 when VOA finishes, and not //
15425/15435 which are the separate Call of Islam service (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

** SOUTH CAROLINA [non]. Brother Scare Sabbath service, via Guiana French,
17810, Sat Feb 24 at 1455 was playing rustic hymn, Sweetest Lord Jesus, I think
it is called, but with hiccups in modulation. Later after 1500 B.S. was
screaming irrationally but without hiccups (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING
DIGEST)

** U S A. KAIJ reconfirmed with WORLD OF RADIO, 1347, Friday Feb 23 at 2001 on
9480; not a solid signal here in the skip zone, but no doubt so further to the
N and W. Rechecked at 2057, playing Andean music and if I did not know better,
would have guessed it were HCJB. Fill music? Scheduled at 2030 is The Sower,
with Dr Guido. BBC via WHRI 9480 carrier came on at 2058 and there was overlap
as KAIJ announced QSY to 5755, but KAIJ announcement finished at 2059:30 just
as BBC started talking, a perfect transition (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING
DIGEST)

** U S A [non]. Feb 24 at 1453 found a good tho fluttery signal on 11510 with
woman spelling out using English lettering, deewaradio at voanews.com, then S
Asian music until 1459* without further announcement.

This of course is the recently added service for the
Pak/Afghanistan-border-area Pashtuns, the ``get Osama`` service, surely the
most specialized USG SW transmissions. If you go looking for it under VOA
language frequency schedules under P you will not find it, only the ordinary
Pashto service. On the VOA homepage you will only find it in the ``select
language`` drop-down under Pashto - Deewa which leads to:
http://www.voanews.com/deewa/

And thence to a page in English explaining it:
http://www.voanews.com/deewa/schedule.cfm

which claims that there is a one-hour break in usage of 11510 between 14 and
15, but this is obviously not true! The latest info since Feb 7 shows 11510
Iranawila, Sri Lanka, now straight thru from 13 to 16. The parallel frequency
9565 from elsewhere has also been expanded to cover 14-15. Maybe 11510 came
back on at 1500 after an antenna change, if I had kept listening, as each hour
is supposed to be on a different azimuth requiring breaks in transmission
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. Straining to hear Libya in English on 17725, Feb 24 at 1518, I
instead noticed some SSB on the side, a bit more than 1 kHz above at 17726+,
intermittent, and so 2-way, probably Spanish but only got brief snatches and
could have been Portuguese (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

http://new.mail.yahoo.com

Preorder your WRTH 2007: