[HCDX] Armenian Public Radio Refuses To Re-Sign Contract For RFE/RL Programs

Armenian Public Radio Refuses To Re-Sign Contract For RFE/RL
Programs
http://www.armenialiberty.org/armeniareport/report/en/2007/07/525F50
86-E06C-43EE-886D-FC32FD90CB65.ASP
Statement by Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty

(Washington, DC--July 24, 2007) Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty
(RFE/RL) and its oversight agency, the U.S. Broadcasting Board of
Governors (BBG), expressed dismay at Armenian Public Radio's
rejection of a new contract to continue carrying programs of RFE/RL's
Armenian Service.

RFE/RL Armenian programs have been aired on Armenian Public
Radio -- Armenia's top radio network -- since 1998, where they have
earned the trust of a significant number of listeners. Survey data shows
that 15 percent of Armenian adults listen to RFE/RL programs each
week.

Three days of discussions in Yerevan, Armenia last week between U.S.
and Armenian broadcast officials ended without agreement on a new
contract to replace one that had lapsed in February.

"Our delegation was asked to go to Yerevan to iron out some minor
technical issues and conclude a contract to extend this successful
partnership," said BBG Chairman James K. Glassman. "All these
issues were resolved. Our delegation was told there are no deadlines,
and no threat was made to take RFE/RL programs off Public Radio. Yet
the contract remains unsigned, and our offers to make payment were
refused. It seems clear that whatever is holding up an agreement has
nothing to do with legal, contractual, or technical issues."

"We value our relationship with Armenian Public Radio," added
Glassman, "and certainly want it to continue. We look forward to
signing the contract, and making all payments stipulated in the contract,
as soon as our partners in Armenia tell us they are ready."

The Armenian parliament on July 3 did not adopt amendments to the
country's media regulations that would have banned RFE/RL and other
foreign broadcasters from public airwaves. One week later, Armenian
Public Radio indicated that it planned to stop RFE/RL broadcasts on
August 9, citing contractual and payment issues. Last week's visit to
Armenia by RFE/RL and BBG contracting officials was intended to
resolve these issues.

"The potential end of our very fruitful relationship with Public Radio has
no economic or other legitimate justification," said RFE/RL President
Jeffrey Gedmin. "Armenians go to the polls in eight months to choose
their next President, and therefore it is particularly important that
RFE/RL's broadcasts, which are widely respected for their accuracy,
objectivity and timeliness, reach the largest possible audience. Our
coverage of the May 12 parliamentary elections was singled out for
praise by OSCE observers for its balance and thoroughness."

RFE/RL's Armenian Service has been on the air since 1953 and
produces more than three and one half hours of Armenian-language
programming daily in Prague and its Yerevan Bureau. Armenian
Service programming is available via satellite, local affiliates and the
Internet, at the service's website http://www.azatutyun.am and at
http://www.rferl.org; English-language news about events in Armenia
can be found on the RFE/RL website, at
http://www.rferl.org/featuresarchive/country/armenia.html

http://zlgr.multiply.com (raidio monitoring site plus audio clips )
http://www.worldisround.com/articles/302315/ (Litohoro) 321199/Tinos
http://www.flickr.com/photos/zachgr    pictures upload
.
on my main : www.geocities.com/zliangas
-tty-px.html : test of various TTY programs
-ethics.htm    : greek ethics , days and institutions
-frape.htm: the greek way of cofee !!!
Zacharias Liangas , Thessaloniki Greece
greekdx @ otenet dot gr  ---
Pesawat penerima: ICOM R75 , Lowe HF150 , Degen 1102,1103,108,
Tecsun PL200/550, Chibo c300/c979, Yupi 7000
Antenna: 16m hor, 2x16 m V invert, 1m australian loop

Preorder your WRTH 2007: