[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs February 20

** AUSTRALIA [and non]. R. Australia, 7240, 50 degrees from Shepparton to
Pacific, is a good reliable signal here after 1400, and usually hams avoid it,
but Feb 20 at 1519 I was hearing a QSO precisely on frequency, so they could
give their BFOs a rest, but I should think it would have been tough to talk
with RA mixing in. Were they QRMing it deliberately? One of the calls was
N5MUF, using the obvious fonetix, who per ARRL lookup is: BRUMFIELD, THOMAS R,
N5MUF (General), Pearl, MS 39208 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CHAD. RNT, 4905, still having problems. Fairly good carrier at 0608 Feb 20,
but talk barely modulated (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CUBA. RHC, the UT day after Fidel finally resigned, Feb 20 at 0610-0625 or
so, checked 6060 and heard nothing at all about that, not even mentioning
Fidel. Did not rate among top three news headlines, starting with something
about US forces in Iraq. Perhaps instruxions on just how to play this somewhat
momentous story were slow to trickle down, so they just said nothing. Wait till
he really dies --- maybe then RHC will pull out all the stops, tho it may take
a while to find out, following their Soviet models. 0611 topic: sister cities
Quito and Cienfuegos (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** GUATEMALA. R. Verdad, 4052.4 (or at least a smidgen below 4052.5), Feb 20,
0550 playing Johnny Cash`s Were You There? slow hymn, joined by a soprano
harmonizing, June? 0553 dead air; 0554 Lord`s Prayer in English; 0555 sign-off
until 5 AM (1100 UT), ``good night from your speaker (preacher?), Edgar
Madrid``, then hymn to waltz beat, 0557:30 YL Spanish sign-off, 0558 National
Anthem by band and choir running several verses to 0602:30 and carrier stayed
on a while longer. Rated S9+12 on my E-W longwire to FRG-7, or SINPO 35333.
Modulation was somewhat muffled, fuzzy thruout. One should really monitor TGAV
and report on their real eighth anniversary, Feb 25 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

** MAURITANIA. ORTM, 4845, which I had heard a couple recent nights, was
missing again Feb 20 at 0607; just the constant utility pulsing on same
frequency (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. XEYU, Radio Unam, 9599.3, quite good with continuous classical
music, `cello et al., Feb 20 from 2235 until at *2311:30 hit by Vatican Radio
on 9600.0 joining program in progress, then IS at 2314, producing a bad het
making both unlistenable (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** POLAND [non]. And I do mean non! Checking 9660, scheduled for PRES 2200-2300
back to Europe via GUIANA FRENCH, 250 kW, 40 degrees, analog, all I heard was
an unmodulated carrier at various chex between 2210 and 2235. Something must
really be wrong at Montsinéry, as a number of other transmissions were moved
away from there, and it seems this one should be, or has been? (Glenn Hauser,
OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. Robotic female voice on 4396-SSB, Feb 20 at 0605, weather for Gulf of
Alaska. Audio was choppy with clix; also, she ignorantly transformed 4:00 pm
into ``four hundred PM``, at least twice. Can`t they do better than this? I see
numerous logs on this frequency in UDXF forums of WLO Mobile AL, tho more
likely geographically I would expect its robotic sister station KLB in Kent WA.

Their website http://www.shipcom.com/frequencies.html does not match what I
heard. It shows WLO, not KLB on 4396, and at 0600 is supposed to be for the
Caribbean; offshore Alaska supposed to be at 0800, apparently meaning direct
from WLO, with no specific schedule given for KLB which is ``Enhanced Coverage
of the Pacific and Alaskan waters`` and might have been relaying if I had
checked 4405 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 9000, looking for Firedrake/Sound of Hope as reported, Feb 20 did
not hear that, but instead something odd with the BFO on: ``siren`` sound,
oscillating carrier would come on about every five minutes for half a minute or
so, but not precisely every five minutes; in between, no sign of SOH or any
broadcaster. Heard at 1355, 1401, 1406, 1411, 1415, 1420, 1424, 1434; again
1504, 1514, 1519 Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) ###

Be a better friend, newshound, and

Order your WRTH 2008: