Re: [HCDX] Dxers Unlimited´s weekend edition 23-24 February 2008

Radio Havana Cuba

Dxers Unlimited weekend edition for 23-24 February 2008

By Arnie Coro

Radio amateur CO2KK

Hi amigos radioaficionados, welcome to your favorite radio hobby program... Dxers Unlimited with your's truly Arnie Coro at the microphone. Here is now item one... I recently repeated an experiment here at CO2KK, my ham radio station , for the benefit of several new comers to the amateur radio hobby that visited me... the experiment consisted in running a step by step power output test, and it was done on the two meters band, and the results showed, once again, that with a good antenna, QRP or very low power operation is really possible. I took my 2 meters band station trough a power test that went down to 100 milliWatts or a tenth of a Watt while using a 6 dB gain antenna, effectively radiating when running the 100 milliWatts about 350 milliWatts, taking into consideration feedline losses. Groundwave contacts with stations up to one hundred miles away were possible when tropospheric ducting conditions existed, and with absolutely flat conditions, the 350 milliWatts effective radiated power could be heard regularly at stations 50 to 60 miles away if the other station was using a good antenna. But as you may guess to assure a good quieting of the FM receiver's noise, running 10 dB more power , that is about 3.5 Watts was more than enough to keep very stable two way long conversations with stations in the 50 to 60 miles from Havana perimeter even when they were using just a half wave vertical dipole antenna at not more than 3 or 4 meters above the average terrain...

More about power output and antenna gain, in a few seconds , when Dxers Unlimited continues, after a short break for station ID... I am Arnie Coro in Havana...

This is Radio Havana Cuba, the name of the show is Dxers Unlimited amigos, and here now I am ready to continue discussing the topic, power output and antenna gain... For two meters band operation , an omnidirectional antenna with 6 dB gain will be a quite logical addition to your station , as it will provide around the compass coverage if your station is located out in the clear with no local obstructions that will stop or deviate the radio waves. A 6 dB antenna gain is not too difficult to achieve on the two meters band, and a lot easier to reach on the 70 centimeters band. On lower frequency bands, 6db antenna omnidirectional gain is much more difficult and expensive to achieve, and that's why the use of directional antennas is the way to go on the lower frequency bands..

For those of you not familiar with decibels, let me say that 3dB means doubling the power, 6 dB is quadrupling the power, and a 10 dB gain is multiplying the power ten times. Something that can not be forgotten is that antenna gain is good for transmitting as well as for receiving too...

So amigos, all efforts to install better antennas are worth every minute and every single cent spent on them !!!........

Dxers Unlimited continues now with our popular Arnie's workshop section of the show, Here at the workshop the most recent version of the hybrid REGENERODYNE receiver is still under test. Here is now an update of the latest results... The tests with the computer clock TTL crystal controlled modules that are being used to provide local oscillator injection to the front end of the REGENERODYNE, have proven to be both reliable and , as expected , very, very stable.

They are fed with 5 volts regulated DC, and are easy to install. Switching frequencies is done by providing the selected module with the 5 volts output , as their output is connected to the broadband mixer in parallel in this first experimental setup, but I am planning to add a diode switching system in the next few days.

This prototype receiver has two local oscillators systems, one using the above mentioned computer crystal oscillator modules that deliver a square wave output that is ideal for feeding the four diode balanced mixer, and a second local oscillator using a standard NPN transistor and quartz crystals.

As explained during a previous edition of Dxers Unlimited , this receiver is a hybrid, an attempt to use the best features of both solid state and vacuum tubes, and also to put to good use a lot of recycled components that were in perfectly good shape, just waiting to be soldered to a new project.

The front end is now working very well, and the tuneable bandpass filter at the input was added as a second option because it does help to increase the front end selectivity, as compared to what is achieved with a single tuned circuit antenna input circuit..

Don't worry amigos, I am always keeping you all pretty well informed about the evolution of this design that so far has surpassed by highest expectations.... Just to give you an idea, using the experimental hybrid Regenerodyne or EHR receiver on the 40 meters amateur band, in comparative tests with my excellent Kenwood TS820 transceiver receiver, one of the best analog radios ever built, I have yet to find a difference between the two sets sensititivity to weak signals, absence of spurious responses, images and overload... BUT, as expected the TS820's receiver can not be matched regarding its selectivity while picking up single side band stations, due to the shape of the IF filter's passband, something that the regenerative detector can not achieve for obvious reasons... Nevertheless when receiving CW signals, the two radios are producing almost identical results with extremely weak signals...

More about Arnie Coro's EHR , Experimental Hybrid Regenerodyne receiver in upcoming editions of your favorite radio program, the one you are listening to at this moment DXers Unlimited, from Radio Havana Cuba

QSL , QSL, yes QSL on the air to the many Dxers Unlimited listeners that keep sending reports about our station... And this is something that I want you all to know... Short wave broadcasts are targeted to specific zones, and although they sometimes may be heard in other areas of the world, even at very far away distances from the selected target areas, frequency planning does not contemplate providing service to zones outside the ones selected by the station to be the primary target areas...Just to clarify, let me give you an example... Radio Havana Cuba is beaming to the East Coast of North America on 6000 kiloHertz from 00 to 05 hours UTC... From 00 to 01 we broadcast in Spanish, and from 01 to 05 in English to North America from approximately northern Florida, all the way up to the north of the Canadian Maritime provinces and Newfoundland... BUT, you can certainly pick up our 6000 kiloHertz signal in Chicago, or Toronto, although the antenna beam is not in that specific direction, so this explains why listeners in Central North America should listen to our English language programming between 01 and 05 hours UTC on 6180 kiloHertz, the frequency that is beamed into that specific direction ...

Many times , while opening up my e-mail just after waking up and having a cup of nice Cuban black expresso coffee, I receive reports of Dxers Unlimited coming from New Zealand, Australia, Argentina or maybe South Africa or Greece... and that's to be expected too, because every antenna system has minor radiation lobes into other directions than the main beam of the array, and when propagation conditions are good, our station can be heard all around the world, by an Antarctic expedition scientist or maybe by the operator of an air traffic control radar station in an isolated region of Norway...

Si amigos, yes my friends, short wave propagation is always full of surprises, even when going trough solar minimum as it is happening right now !!!

This is Dxers Unlimited's and here is now another popular section of the program... Antenna topics, that today will be devoted to indoor antennas, an option that is sometimes the only one at hand for many of this program listeners that live in apartment buildings or in areas of a city or town where outside antennas are forbidden by zoning regulations... Indoor antenna systems can improve performance over the typical portable radio's telescopic whip in a very significant way...

You will notice less fading, and higher signal levels when adding a length of insulated wire to your telescopic whip, and fixing the wire with plastic tape to a window, or just taping it to a balcony rail... Yes, I am talking about a lot of difference... many decibels amigos.. Just to prove this point I ran two tests at my home QTH using the small analog Grundig FR 200 receiver...

// <http://www.radiohc.cu/ingles/dxers/dxersmenu2006.htm>//And now amigos , as always at the end of the show , when I am here in Havana, and can make both the optical and radio observations of solar activity and its incidence on the Earth´s ionosphere, here is Arnie Coro´s exclusive and not copyrighted HF plus low band VHF propagation update and forecast. Solar flux continues at bottom low levels, with the daily solar sunspot count at ZERO for many, many days now. Solar scientists have issued, once again , a so called solar quiet alert, something that is done to help researchers , so that they will perform certain experiments that should be done when a totally quiet Sun is keeping both the solar flux and the solar wind speed at very low levels. Despite this end of solar cycle 23 very low activity, radio amateurs continue to report some rare openings of the 10 meters band, that seem to defy theoretical analysis that exclude such openings when solar flux stay around 70 units for many days. February is coming to an end now, and with it, the transition from winter to spring propagation conditions, so be prepared for the much better equinoctial propagation that should be starting to be felt by the second week of March. In the meantime everyone is still waiting for yet another sunspot group from new solar cycle 24 to show up, something that according to several of my friends that study the Sun for a living , should had happened several weeks ago. So, we must continue to wait and in the meantime the best periods for low frequency Dxing continue to be from about an hour before local sunset to between one and two hours after the Sun sets at your location, and you may also pick up some DX stations on frequencies below 10 megaHertz around midnight your local time, when stations located East of you will be seeing the Sun rise … I hope to be able to work some of Dxers Unlimited´s listeners that are also amateur radio operators on 40 meters during my now almost daily operation on 40 meters using PSK31 and MFSK16 digital modes… see you around 7035 and 7070 kiloHertz amigos !!!

Order your WRTH 2008: