[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs January 1-3

** AUSTRALIA. RA, 5995, clear of Harold Camping after 1500 and still holding up
at 1505 Jan 2 after news, with program from ABC Local Radio, starting with
``Buttons & Bows`` tune, how Aussie. Compere kept talking about ``the program``
but never heard its axual name. So can we find out? At the RA website you have
to pretend you are going to print a pdf schedule in order to view it. The one
for Pacific is dated Winter 2007 so at least a semi-year out of date, showing
Australian Express at 1500 (not 1505) UT Wednesdays. I don`t think so. Probably
a prolonged summer-vacation substitute, just plug in LR and forget about doing
any real RA shows; who cares what the listeners may expect? When we hear ``ABC
Local Radio`` on RA, are we really listening to Melbourne, and only 3LO,
Melbourne? Schedule at http://www.abc.net.au/melbourne/schedule.htm shows 2-5
am [AEDT] Thursday is Michael Pavlich with Overnights (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

** CANADA [non]. Another FE collision continues with nobody caring (but me?).
Jan 3 at 1459 on 5965, I heard the NHK IS, but then an ID for RCI and at 1500
Chinese, mixing at about equal level with CRI in Russian. Sorting this out, per
HFCC:

CRI is on 5965 from 14 to 16, but at 15 switches site from Xi`an 73 degrees to
Beijing 55 degrees (and thus for DVR, also NAm beyond), while Yamata has RCI
Mandarin relay at 15-16, 235 degrees. BTW, Turkey in Azeri also scheduled at
that hour, 90 degrees from Emirler but not heard here. Must be fun listening in
Asia (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** INDONESIA. Suara Indonesia, 9526, in Indonesian until 1501 Jan 1, but open
carrier stays on; didn`t keep on it to see how long (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

** JAPAN. R. Nikkei, 6115, Jan 2 at 0729 mentioning ``tampa hoso`` = shortwave
radio, and list of MHz before closing at 0730* Earlier, at 06-07 this collides
with CRI via Canada aimed due west. CRI is usually on top, but with heavy QRM
de Japan, especially in winter. The frequency gurus at VTC or CRI apparently
can`t imagine that Nikkei would be a factor in C/WNAm. It is intriguing to
wonder what the Japanese service of a SW station in Tampa FL would call itself
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MAURITANIA. R. Mauritanie, 4845, on the air and still audible at 0716
January 2 in Arabic; unlike Chad not on 4905, probably faded out by now (Glenn
Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO [and non]. Altho someone reported LV de tu Conciencia on 6009.5
recently, I checked 6010 again Jan 2 at 0722 when two stations were mixing
about equally, one Spanish talk and the other music. Both were very close to
6010.0 and were about 6 Hz apart, judging from the SAH. If it`s not Mil and
Con, what else could one of them be? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** NEW ZEALAND. As of 2227 UT January 3, the RNZI transmission schedule at
http://www.rnzi.com/pages/listen.php is still labeled as expiring Dec 31. Are
we to assume that RNZI is no longer on SW, analog or DRM? I think that`s what I
was hearing on 5950, Jan 3 at 1455, but only a poor unID signal in English
mentioning World Book Club. Is that something from BBC? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

** PHILIPPINES. FEBC, Manila/Bocaue, 9430, very good big signal in Chinese, and
no jamming on this station! Jan 1 at 1505 with singing, ``Happy New Year``. 345
degrees but plenty of it reached OK (Glenn Hauser, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** RUSSIA. VOR concluding Korean hour at 1458 Jan 2, good on 6005, IS and off
at 1500* sharp. This via Komsomol`sk/Amure is bad news for Echo of Hope, Korean
clandestine on 6003 until 1500 too, except I did not hear a het from it during
these two minutes. However, on Jan 3 I intuned a bit earlier in time to hear
the het, which went off at precisely 1458:30 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING
DIGEST)

** SOUTH AFRICA [non]. Channel Africa, 0726 Jan 2 with ID and info in English
on 6160, via the Newfoundland relay. This matches the CBC Radio Overnight
schedule, http://www.cbc.ca/overnight/schedule.html considering that CKZN is on
the AT/NT feed meaning this was 3:56 am local time, otherwise known at 3:26:

The international program schedule is: Weekdays:
1:05 Radio Netherlands
2:05 Radio Sweden and Radio Australia
3:05 Channel Africa and BBC World Service
4:05 Deutsche Welle and Radio Polonia
5:05 Radio Australia, Radio Prague, Deutsche Welle and Voice of Russia
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** SUDAN [non]. Southern Sudan Interactive Radio Instruxion, 15675 via South
Africa, Thu Jan 3 at 1425 with super-condescending English lessons. Are these
only for children? I should think an adult learner of English would be put off.
1425 wrapping up, saying this afternoon (1400 UT) transmission is Tue-Thu-Sat,
while the morning repeat [sic] is M/W/F. From 1429 well past 1430, transmitted
two different alternating tones every 6 seconds, apparently a SENTECH thing
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** SWEDEN [non]. R. Sweden`s feature on Wed Jan 2 at 1544 on 15240 via Canada
was about the future of SW. A reporter in Paris interviewed participants in
CYBAR (sp?), a conference on audience research. First was Simon Spanswick of
AIB; then Jeff Cohen of WRN, who thinks that DRM can be the future, first on
domestic radio, and then for international broadcasting; altho there have been
issues in getting receivers on the market. DAB, however, a few years after it
was introduced in the UK, is finally taking off with almost all new radios sold
being DAB-capable. Finally, Graham Mytton, ex-XBAR at BBCWS, who says
``shortwave was a wonderful hobby for young people in the 70s and 80s``, but
now with the Internet, ``[DXing] is not a big hit any more.`` Show concluded by
asking listeners how they pick up R. Sweden? There is precious little to listen
to in English on my breakfast table SW radio in English at 9:30 am [CST], so I
am thankful RS has not given up on it yet. I prefer not to rush to fire up my
computer as soon as I awaken. The entire segment should be found halfway thru
the 1530 edition in the 30-day archive at
http://www.sr.se/cgi-bin/international/nyhetssidor/sandningsarkiv.asp?date=02/01/2008&programID=2054

(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** TURKEY. VOT, 12035, fairly good with Live from Turkey, Thu Jan 3 at 1400
with usual hourtop music break. On a previous show the announcer gave away the
reason: he has to go to another studio to read the news on a domestic network.
Then back to show, no in-callers heard; at 1413 introducing a new program for
2008, much like one which ran in 2006 under a different name, which will be
almost daily, ``Did You Know That?``, the first ep about boron, element #5
which is metallic and not metallic, of which Turkey has ``vast reserves`` and
is used in railroad trax, medicine, fuel, etc. This brief but fact-crammed talk
lasted little more than a minute. We shall have another sesquimonth or so to
wait for the printed 2008y program schedule to come in the P-mail, not
available online, and I doubt such a minor feature will be mentioned, anyway
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. Seems we can write off KAIJ as a WOR affiliate until further notice.
Thu Jan 3 at 1600 on webcast, 1386 was still being repeated from weeks ago
instead of a newer edition or even the newest, 1389. The thing is apparently
running unattended until the webcast contract is over. I imagine little if any
of the other programming is refreshed either (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING
DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 17565, Jan 3 at 1444 past 1452, a variety of tones testing, some
constant, others stepping rapidly up and down in pitch, repeatedly. A guess
might be IBB Greenville, which uses this frequency for Spanish at 1400-1415 and
again for Creole at 1730-1800 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) ###

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

Order your WRTH 2008: