Re: [HCDX] [dxld] EURO 2008 quarter final Russia vv Holland team in RNW on June 21

Re: [HCDX] [dxld] EURO 2008 quarter final Russia vv Holland team in RNW on June 21

As you may know, I could not care less about stupid ballgames, but after dining at a restaurant which had some European soccer championship up on a screen, as it was shown in the USA even on ABC-TV, Russia leading 1-0 at that point, I inevitably ran across some of RNW`s special coverage during a routine SW bandscan.

June 21 at 2119, WWCR/DGS 13845 was suffering from huge continuous crackling noise which also marred sidebands more than usual as far as 13835 and 13855, the latter bothering RNW in Dutch; this was not synchronized with strong 17765 and weak 17485. At 2122 I noticed a much stronger //, Sackville 11640, on for this occasion only, no trace of anything under it, during sad solo singing --- imagine that, MUSIC on RNW`s Dutch service!! ID, `Dit is de Wereldomroep`, but did not say which one; 2124 a vaguely familiar song in English! So mutch for Dutch music. This too was of a lamentational nature, so I concluded that Netherlands must have lost. This matters only insofar as Lowcountrypeople believe it does; in reality, it is better for a country to lose such a contest, so it may then concentrate on something that really matters to national achievement, e.g. scientific research, the arts, freedom (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)