[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs, July 8-10, 2008

[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs, July 8-10, 2008

** AFGHANISTAN [non]. R. Solh, via UK, 17700, fair July 10 at 1311 with usual great music, but at 1320 had a long talk segment of some 5 minutes (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** ECUADOR. Sadly, one must again report that HCJB is announcing its own frequencies incorrectly, since the demise of the 21455 transmission, as has been made well-known outside the compound. July 9 at 1259:30, automated Spanish ID on 11960 still claimed to be on ``11690, 21455 y 11960``; ditto July 10 at 1329:30 check. How many years will it take for La Voz de los Andes to recut these IDs? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** INDONESIA. VOI reception here in the morning has plunged to the barely-detectable-carrier level. I say this since nothing else is likely to be on 9526. This was the case July 8 before and after 1300; also July 10 at 1253, yet stations in the same region, such as VOA Philippines 9760 are coming in very well. This makes me wonder if something other than propagation is at play, such as VOI not being up to full power and/or on usual azimuth toward us. Can anyone confirm whether they are still running English at the new hour of 1300? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** KOREA NORTH. VOK, July 9 at 1301 seemed parallel on 11710 and 11735, both playing national anthem, tho probably not synchronized, but then at 1303, 11735 went into Chinese and 11710 into English. The 11710 transmitter also puts spurs out, a constant het on 11776 against Defunct Gene Scott, Anguilla, and a much dirtier one on 11644, unstable but with enough audio to // 11710 which with the BFO on, one can tell is also unstable, can`t zero-beat it.

Also July 10 at 1310, wobbly spur on 11644 // 11710, stable spur on 11776. KCBS domestic service also audible with music on 11677 at 1313 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** LIBYA. V. of Africa, poor but audible on 21695, July 9 at 1410 during English service, fading in and out, barely //able to 17725. Spain 21610 and 21570 were also making it weakly (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** NEW ZEALAND [and non]. IBB Tinang is still turning on its 9655 carrier for RNW relay in Dutch at 1300, much earlier; already on at 1245 July 8 blocking RNZI, and with intermittent tone tests too. On WORLD OF RADIO 1416, I urge IBB to crash-start at 1300. This might involve doing the warm-up on some other nearby frequency instead.

Meanwhile, another abrupt frequency change by RNZI, even tho Adrian Sainsbury is away on a long holiday to Wales: surprised to hear RNZI on 6095, July 10 at 0606, with coastal weather summary, NZ news, nothing on 9615, but 6095 has QRM de VOA French, which is São Tomé, M-F only at 0530-0630, 20 degrees!

The RNZI sked at http://www.rnzi.com/pages/listen.php still shows 9615 at 0459-0658, and nothing under What`s New about any frequency change. Wonder what the true span of 6095 is now. Seems to me they didn`t previously use it as early as 0600. At 1250 seemed to be on 9655 as usual under IBB Tinang carrier and tone, and from *1259 RNZI still on 6170 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A [non]. Lovely rendition of ``Beautiful Dreamer`` in English by tenor and plucked instrument, July 10 at 1314, tnx to the VOA Korean service, outroed by announcement in that language at 1318. This usually has good signal here, far from the target, since it is the Thailand relay at 38 degrees during this hour; the second hour at 14-15 switches to Philippines at 21 degrees, per Aoki. Why aren`t these transmissions jammed? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. WWV, Ft Collins CO, 80524, is seldom heard here on 20 MHz, too close under 500 miles for F2 propagation, if there is any, but tnx to sporadic E, good on 20000.000 at the late hour of 0540 UT July 9 on indoor antenna. So I also checked 25950 for KOA relay, and thought I could almost hear something there. At 0555, WWVH was also in well on 15000.000. WWV audible again on 20 MHz, July 10 at 0613 check (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A [and non?]. Chuck Bolland in Florida says he hasn`t been hearing CODAR QRM lately, and now that he mentions it, I agree that it has relented, but is it really gone? I looked around for it on July 10. At 0609 unheard around 4985, but just barely audible in 4780-4795, and definitely still pulsing at 4530-4570, all frequency ranges approximate. At 1254 could hear it weakly on 5225-5250, but nothing around 12180 or 13550 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) ###

Order your WRTH 2008: