[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs September 15-17, 2008

[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs September 15-17, 2008

** CANADA. Open carrier on 6070, Sept 16 at 1406 check. Possibly within sight of the antenna one might pull a trace of modulation. Now that CFRX has ceased modulating, it`s academic whether they change to a clear frequency. As long as they stay within SAH range of 6070.0, the carrier won`t be much of a problem to CVC, ELWA or the other stations I enumerated in a previous report, and we can go back to 1010 or webcast if we really want to hear it.

O, things improved a little, Sept 17 at 1301, CFRB news and traffic report just barely audible, very low modulation for the carrier level. Maybe there is hope (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CUBA [and non]. Ho hum, another egregious discrepancy to report about, if not to, RHC. Sept 15 at 2310 check, 11680 modulation was cutting off and on, more off than on, every second or two. During the pauses REE Spain could be heard clearly, including an ID from it. Perhaps this is the first step in getting RHC off the frequency completely, which it started a few months ago in total disregard of REE`s occupancy already, causing a 3-hour collision. Rather than two hours; RHC supposedly starting at 0000.

Congrats to Bárbara on Despertar con Cuba, Sept 16 at 1401 on 15370, who finally got the updated frequency announcement right, saying 15360 instead of 1360 yesterday. Well, not quite. It still claims to be on 9600, 6180 and 6000 at this hour but it isn`t.

News summary following mentioned that the damage caused by HH. Gustav & Ike amounted to some 5000 million dollars, and that the disaster has been managed well, tnx to The Revolution. Now what would that be in worthless Cuban pesos?

Checked again Sept 17 at 1403, she says: 15120, 15360; 13760 and from 1300 13680; 11760, 12000; 9600; 6000, 6180; and from 1300 15370. This is still not correct. Since a couple frequencies are specified as starting at 9 am, they should also specify when other frequencies end: namely 6000 until 1400*; and 6180 confirmed Sept 17 until 1300*, also the case with 9600.

The online schedule at  http://www.radiohc.cu/espanol/frecuencia/frecuencias-espanol.htm
makes clear what happens at 1300. The New York beam changes from 6180 to 15370; the Chicago beam from 9600 to 13680.

Just when you think RHC has made every mistake possible on the discrepancy roster, they come up with something new and different!

UT Sept 17 at 0533 on my nightly scan of 49m, I find on 6140 // 6000 RHC in English mixed at about equal level with RHC in Portuguese?! These transmitters are getting dual audio feeds, Portuguese not even supposed to be on RHC anywhere near this time, ending at 0000 per sked. How could this happen; automation gone haywire with no human oversight?

Weakest 6060, however, was in English only, evidence that it is at a different site getting a different feed, and that was the only frequency where we could hear DXers Unlimited at 0540 without self-QRM, the 31 and 25mb frequencies if on, not propagating. Hmmm, 9550 is no longer shown at 0500 in the English sked below; is it really off? Arnie was enjoying a nice blue sky again Tuesday morning, autumn in the air.

The above frequency page from RHC website has finally been updated, about 6 months late, headed March-October 2008 rather than October 2007-March 2008. It now shows the new morning frequencies 15360 and 15120 which started a sesquimonth ago. No longer says Quechua or Guarani is temporarily replaced by more Portuguese.

English is now shown as: INGLÉS
Río de Janeiro     9550 31 23–24
Caribe            13680 22 20:30–21:30
América del Norte  6140 / 6000 / 6060 31 / 49 01–07 / 01–07 / 05-07
Norte Centro y Suramérica 11760 / 11760 25 20:30-21:30 / 05–07

So the 2030-2130 English broadcast is finally on the schedule, no longer secret! I was not aware of 13680 being in use for that, as the // to 11760 had been 9505 when last confirmed. 13680 now needs to be confirmed. We always thought the 9550 broadcast at 23-24 was for Caribe rather than all the Anglophiles in Rio.

This confusing layout requires one to match up the frequencies separated by slants with the timespans respectively to the right on the same lines. Note the spurious ``31`` on the NAm line. Was 9550 still supposed to go with it after 0500 as before?

As for the report of RHC being heard on 11880, we looked for that Sept 16 at 2102, but nothing there. Presumably indeed a typo for 11800, but at that hour we heard on 11800 just an open carrier with a 2 Hz SAH and very weak audio under, which would be RHC failing to modulate and R. Bulgaria Spanish as scheduled. RHC OK on 11750 in Spanish, 11760 English. Posted schedule shows 11800 in Spanish to Caribe at 21-23.

The only Arabic broadcast on it is at 2030-2100 on 11800 to Caribe, 11750 to Europe. More anomalies: the sked shows:

MESA REDONDA (lunes a viernes y días especiales)
América del Norte  6000 / 9820 49 / 31 23 – 01
But as we have recently observed, usually starts at 2230 or even 2200!

ALÓ PRESIDENTE (domingo) 14-
América Central   13680 22
Caribe            11690 25
América del Sur   11875 / 17750  25 / 16
América del Norte 13750

11690 for Caribe would be new, and colliding with HCJB until 1500. This has been on 11670, so has it really moved, or another typo? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CUBA [non]. 13820, Sept 17 at 1335 with Hallelujah Chorus, not exactly what one would expect from R. Martí in September, nor talk in Russian which followed, but then back into Spanish, over jamming. Must have been a period drama or docu (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** INDONESIA [and non]. Unlike Sept 15, on Sept 17 programming was quite different on RRI. A speech (sermon?) in a public venue, at 1310 on 4750 // weaker 4790 and 3995; and also // 9680 checked at 1324 when Qur`aning was in progress. 4750 now had a het on the hi side, and Makassar has been measured on the lo side, so now we have something else closer to 4750.0, most likely China, but Bangladesh would be nice. 4750 and the het were still audible at 1340. FE conditions on higher bands were poor, with 9680 JBA, 11785 VOI het only, weak signals from VOA Korean 11740, Firedrake 11990 and 12040 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** JAPAN. R. Nikkei, 6055, with German lessons, Tuesday Sept 16 at 1306, e.g. ``Der Tisch kostet 900 Euro,`` and discussing German`s peculiar pronunciation of the monetary unit. This was really a lecture in Japanese with frequent lapses into German examples. Together with Switched On Bach every night, JOZ seems to exhibit Deutschophilia. But next day, Wednesday Sept 17 at 1304 a similar exposition in Japanese on English usage, ex. ``Could you tell me where the sporting goods are?`` Now how would that go in German? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. XEOI, 6010 is pretty reliable, weak but in the clear here in the 1300 hour, but no sign of it Sept 17 at 1305 check. Mexican music lives! But not today (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** PALAU. Not even a carrier audible on 12095, Sept 17 at 1333, when Democratic V. of Burma was supposedly testing via T8BZ; but FE conditions were poor, weak signals on 11740, 11990, 12040. Did anyone confirm DVB the last three days on 12095 at 13-14? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A [non]. Like clockwork, VOA`s Korean service breaks for a song  in English at 1315 UT on 5890, and 11740 if it is propagating. Sept 16 it was ``O Danny Boy``, by YL, a.k.a. London Derrière, so I can`t keep calling it from the ``American Songbook`` (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

Order your WRTH 2008: