[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs September 21, 2008

[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs September 21, 2008

** BRAZIL. Good open carrier on 11780, at 0552 Sept 21, no doubt RNA Brasília; still no modulation at 0600 and 0608 check, but finally some soft music at 0615. I think this one signs on earlier on Sundays than other days for some reason, contrary to what you might expect. Just wait until mid-October when Brazil pretends local time is UT -2, which should knock this another UT hour earlier. Not much else was audible on 25m besides Chile 11665 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CANADA. 6030, Sept 21 at 1230 with talkshow discussing co-enzymes, briefly over Cuban jamming leftover after R. Martí closed. I don`t see how it could be anything but 100-watt CFVP Calgary, despite the country-music format of parent CKMX, which does not show a schedule grid at http://www.classiccountryam1060.com/shows
If they do have talk shows, or more likely infomercials, I suppose the early-Sunday-morning ghetto would be the place for them (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CUBA. While on Sept 17 I had heard RHC English 6000 and 6140 equally mixed with RHC in Portuguese, on Sept 21 at 0614 the same thing was happening but this time in Spanish --- again, at this late hour no Spanish is ordinarily broadcast on any RHC frequency. And once again, the other frequency, 6060, was clear in English only. No other major SW broadcaster is so continually screwed up.

Checking the last contradixion on RHC`s updated website schedule, just as I suspected, Aló, Presidente is NOT on 11690 as listed, but on usual 11670, Sunday Sept 21 at 1452 check, // 11875, 13680, all weak and a reverb apart from 11670, and very strong 13750, the only one aimed this way; not audible on 17750 so probably not propagating.

To summarize, the following entries in http://www.radiohc.cu/espanol/frecuencia/frecuencias-espanol.htm
are WRONG, as confirmed by my axual monitoring the past week:

Spanish:
11680 on the air as early as 2300, not 0000
Spanish Mesa Redonda:
9820, 6000 starts as early as 2200 or 2230, not 2300
Spanish Aló, Presidente:
Sundays 1400-, on 11670, not 11690

English:
To Caribbean, 2030-2130 on 13680: no sign of it; is French at 2200-2230 also missing from 13680?

There are a few other entries in other languages I have not confirmed one way or the other. The above does not include obvious mistakes, even if they happen more than once, such as one day Venezuela instead of RHC English on 11760 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CZECHIA. 13580, Sunday Sept 21 at 1320, nice folk music from R. Prague, but wrapping up at 1324 as ``Magic Carpet`` show. It must be very brief as there are several other programs on the semi-hour Sunday broadcasts. More at http://www.radio.cz/en/html/magic_carpet.html
They say they cannot audio archive the shows, but I assume they are available in the daily audio files linked at the right for the entire broadcast (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** IRELAND [non]. DRM on 11710-11715-11720, Sunday Sept 21 at 1308, weaker than a fortnight ago. This is the second September sports special from RTE, football final via Rampisham UK; this time no KJES audible in the middle. So it indeed started again as early as 1300 UT, contrary to RTE`s own website which said from 3 pm local = 1400 UT. Nothing audible on the analog relays via South Africa, 11695, 11960, the latter totally blocked by HCJB (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** RUSSIA. R. Rossii, 7320 via Magadan, Sept 21 at 0556 M&W talk with several IDs in passing before hourtop, better than any other non-American outsending on 40-41m. Time signal at 0600 was 4 seconds slow compared to WWV, so why bother? It`s incredible how many SW stations, even ones from major countries with the capability to get them right, get them wrong, misleading millions of listeners. Into Vesti, info program from R. Rossii (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** SWEDEN [non]. 11640, surprised to find very good signal in Swedish, Sunday Sept 21 at 1310, talk and music. Surely has to be R. Sweden, and surely has to be Sackville relay. Trouble is, this transmission is supposed to be on 15240, as in online references, and R. Sweden`s own http://www.sr.se/cgi-bin/International/nyhetssidor/artikel.asp?nyheter=1&ProgramID=2076&Artikel=493601
Sackville has used 11640 previously for special relays of RNW at other times, so the frequency is probably on their roster for up-punching as a big mistake. Unfortunately, did not check 15240, but I bet it was missing (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** TURKEY. VOT`s fortnightly DX Corner on Saturdays I confirmed UT Sunday Sept 21 at 0321-0327 on webcast, but probably would also have been audible via Canada 7325 and even direct on 5975. It was hosted by the main announcer, Seref [Isler]. Items as follows:

1, Ramadan greetings
2, There *will be* special event ham station TC4X for SSB contest Sept 13-14
3, From Bangladesh: birthday greetings from his wife to a well-known DXer who will be 31 on October 13. Could not catch his name
4, UK`s new broadcasts to Afghanistan border area from August 21, like VOA`s phone-ins for Pakistan`s NWFP allowing Pashtuns there to express themselves; attributed to Sunday Herald, Glasgow, Sept 14
5, Radio Andorra history site, URL quickly given once and impossible to copy. This was surely taken from DXLD 8-103 without credit, or from the original source quoted without credit:
``ANDORRA. THE HISTORY OF RADIO ANDORRA
http://f5nsl.free.fr/andorre/amenuen.html
This page is available in English and French
(Sheldon Harvey, Sept Radio HF Internet Newsletter via DXLD)``
6, in six months the 7100-7200 range will go back from broadcasting to ham radio, IARU story which has also appeared in DXLD (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 4426-SSB, Sept 21 at 0604, robot OM voice reading ``urgent marine information broadcast`` concerning missing vessels. They all sounded the same, but details varied, with different dates, Sept 13 back to Sept 10, different coordinates, etc. All came from USCG Honolulu and concerned Pacific waters; however I don`t find Hono listed on this frequency but instead NMC San Francisco, and NMN Virginia, so presumably the former. One concerned the sailing vessel ``Freedom``, with its description, one person aboard, did not make it to destination San Diego (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. WHRI missing from 9410, Sunday Sept 21 at 1250; normally they run their own fill programming during this hour Sat & Sun, since the BBC Mundo Spanish relay is M-F only.

9840, Sept 21 at 1259, Full ID from WHRI, presumably just signing on; voice audio was OK, but terrible quality on Onward, Christian Soldiers theme music, as if from a low bitrate internet feed instead of hi-fi satellite; 1300 into Lutheran Reformation Hour (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** VENEZUELA [non]. See CUBA

UNIDENTIFIED. 6066.6, unstable carrier with a warble when BFO on, nondescript music, noticed as interference to undermodulated CFRX 6070, Sept 21 at 1235; my first guess would be North Korea, nominal 6070; in past year Iran was reported varying around 6067, but not likely at this hour; also possibly inactive(?) Jayapura varying from 6070. China has also put out spurs in the region. Hope someone further west can identify this (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) ###

Order your WRTH 2008: