[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs September 26, 2008

[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs September 26, 2008

** AUSTRALIA. 2485, VL8K, Sept 26 at 1309, presumed, with M&W talk in English, 1310 music. Presumed, but what else could it be? PNG was in on 90m, Indonesia on 75m. Also checked 2325 and 2310 but no other NT stations audible; there were, however, some misc. carriers which could have been something local. Why does Katherine do so much better than the others? Is there something about its antenna or real power which give it an advantage? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CUBA. DentroCuban Jamming Command, 9640 with pulses against nothing at 0537 Sept 26. This frequency is used for only two hours earlier in the evening by R. República (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** ERITREA. 8000, Sept 26 at 0540, some talk audible, poor-fair, but can`t be sure of language or station. I can be sure it was not the off-frequency one on 7999.4 others have reported. It was, however, very slightly off 8000, judging from pitch of BFO when compared to WWV 5000, 10000 and RHC 6000 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** INDIA. AIR trans-polar signals improved somewhat equinoxially on 31m: Sept 26 at 1350, S Asian music, but none in // on different services, via Benguluru on 9425, 9690, 9870; also on 11585 via Delhi-Khampur (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** INDONESIA. 3987, Sept 26 at 1301, weak music, and slightly on high side. That matches the measurement by John Wilkins of reactivated RRI Manokwari on 3987.05. Also something on 3995, another Indonesian likely (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** PAPUA NEW GUINEA. 3205, Sept 26 at 1302 with what sounded like a national anthem, then open carrier so I figured R. West Sepik had signed off, but 1304 talk resumed.

3335, best presumed PNG signal this morning, Sept 26 at 1305 with music and English(?) talk. 3325 had some music but that could also be Indonesia, but nothing from PNG on 3365 or 3385, so they were off? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** SINGAPORE. As I tuned across 7135, Sept 26 at 1345, music interrupted by a 5+1 timesignal, into unID language obscured by hams more interested in talking than listening. Per Aoki this is BBC Burmese service opening at this hour. But why would they run a timesignal at such an odd time, which is hourtop neither UT nor Yangon? Does Greenwich supply such non-standard timesignals? Not expecting it, was not prepared to measure how far off it was, but I think it was a few seconds late anyway (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 9535 with open carrier, occasional tones, Sept 26 at 1348, VOA Greenville warming up for 1400-1415 Spanish sports broadcast. If VOA aggregated all the transmitter-hours wasted on these warmups, it could easily add an hour or two of modulated English broadcasts in prime time to the Americas (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1600 kHz with persistent het I have been hearing for years, somewhere around 100-200 Hz, at 1338 Sept 26. On the longwire aimed toward Cushing OK, the nearest 1600 station, KUSH was dominant, and had a SAH, so I think that was close to 1600.00. Most likely culprit is KRVA in The Metroplex, which could also be heard at times in Vietnamese, but difficult to correlate it with the off-frequency.

BTW, the 2008 NRC AM Log shows address for this in Houston, while the 2007 NRC AM Log had an address in Dallas. City of license remains Cockrell Hill, which is on the west side of Dallas. So what has Houston got to do with it? Is it now relaying a sister ethnic station there? Even so, doesn`t it have to maintain an address somewhere near the COL? Phone number also changed during the year (Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 6068 approx., fair carrier but very little audio obscuring CFRX 6070, undermodulated, Sept 26 at 1251. Previously measured on 6066.6, but this time judging from het it was more like 6068, but it went off at 1253 before I could pin it down. This closing time makes it more likely to be Korea North (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) ###

Order your WRTH 2008: