Re: [HCDX] A Milestone in MW DXing: Perseus SDR Receiver can now Record/Playback Entire MW Band

Re: [HCDX] A Milestone in MW DXing: Perseus SDR Receiver can now Record/Playback Entire MW Band

Hi Jay,

It all depends on your DXing techniques and requirements. Not everyone can
DX for hours through the night due to work and home schedules, etc. However,
the capability of Perseus (and other similar receivers in the future) allow
a "TIVO-like" approach to the hobby. I personally have extremely little use
for TV *or* a TIVO, but being able to timeshift my DXing pursuits is just
what the doctor ordered!

I now have four evenings of 10 hours each recently recorded to hard drive,
from a recent DXpedition on Orcas Island, WA. The entire band from each
night is waiting for me to track down the DX when *my* schedule allows. I
have already thoroughly DX'd through the first evening's recordings (Sept.
19th). It turned out to be excellent for TPs, and I logged 42 Asian and
South Pacific MW stations after the fact. It took me 16 hours over two days
of vacation to log all the DX I could find from those 10 hours, but it was
great fun (how else can you hear 1575 kHz VOA Thailand from North America at
high noon?  :^)

Having the entire band available for "rewind" means you can spend as little
or as much time as you want going over marginal and challenging signals. I
know I logged considerably more stations from Sept. 19th by being able to go
over the DX again and again, pulling out more details and hopefully IDs.

The usefulness of archiving the band this way goes beyond just
top-of-the-hour snippets. Signals fade in and out unpredictably, and you
never know when a good peak in a signal can occur. Interesting listening,
and the all-important station IDs, can happen at any time, not just TOH.

I'll also mention that the Asian and South Pacific DX I logged from the 19th
was scattered about (in real time) from 0530 to 1500 UTC, not just during
the hour or so surrounding dawn enhancement. During mediocre DX evenings,
the only DX worth catching often is confined to dawn enhancement. On great
evenings like the 19th, neat signals were coming in for almost eight hours.
I'm glad I had Perseus and the laptop running to "bring it all back".

A link to the DX logged is found in this blog post:
http://perseus-sdr.blogspot.com/2008/09/dxing-from-orcas-island-day-1-report
.html

73,

Guy Atkins