[HCDX] Logs for 01 October 2008

RX: G303e  Antenna:  100m longwire   QTH: Kabul, Afghanistan

7385 CHINA/TIBET, PBS Xizang, Lhasa, 1630 with EG service on 1 Oct.
Announcers trying to read the news over a too loud disco mx bed, talk of
construction projects planned for the area.  Jeez, this tx'er needs help!
Mx audio was at an OK level, but the voice audio was distorted and slightly
echo-ey.  Very hard to understand even on AM-wide setting.  Booming signal,
all fives, but audio and occupied bandwidth were splattered like a rotten
tomato +/- 10 kHz.  Am trying to send them an email to give them a heads up
(and get a QSL, of course)...tried calling, but it was a no-go.  I'll use
the sat-phone tomorrow if I have to.  Same problem noted to a much lesser
extent on 7310 at 1740, although not nearly as bad in Mandarin language (and
playing US folk music!).  Their compressor limiters and/or compellors need
desperate adjustment!

11905 SRI LANKA, SLBC, banging away from around 0800 GMT here in Kabul on 1
Oct.  Almost an S4 signal with female DJ and lots of subcontinental music.
Xmits in local languages, however the address was given in EG several times
asking for reports and there are EG IDs as well.  When last I had occasion
to listen to them (pre-tsunami) they were playing pop and rock mx.  Must
have been a serious change of heart!

12095 PHILIPPINES, FEBC Manila, reasonable sigs at 1055 GMT in Khmer on 1
Oct.  Lots of station IDs at 1059 and then signal greatly increased to S5.
Carrier did not leave the air, so antenna switch is doubtful, perhaps power
increase.  Tx'er is listed as 100kW.

12120 GUAM, KTWR, 1120 Mandarin service on 1 Oct.  Sermon or lecture in
mandarin by OM.  This guy did not come up for air for the full show!
Finally got station station IDs and jingles at 1159 GMT just before
sign-off.  Fair signal.

73s

Al Muick

"The way to happiness is filled with obstacles." Shakuntala

Order your WRTH 2008: