[HCDX] Loggings for Al Muick for 5th October 2008

[HCDX] Loggings for Al Muick for 5th October 2008

QTH:  Kabul Afghanistan
RX:  WinRadio G303e
Antenna: 100m longwire

Not too much Dxing in the last two days due to work and a case of "Kabul
Belly," but a couple of nice loggings for me on a good European opening.

11720  PHILIPPINES, Radio Pilipinas, heard with Tagalog to the Middle East
on 5th October.  What's helpful with the Tagalog language is that they work
so many English words into it.  Other than that, my neighbor in the
guesthouse is a great Filipino guy and I can always get him to translate.
Surprisingly, only a fair signal, perhaps because of the weird opening to
Europe at the time.  Made me wish for some Red Horse ale.....

11735  ROMANIA, RRI, heard in English at 1714 on Oct. 5 with a hearty signal
despite WYFR on 11730 to the Middle East trying to do the mashed potatoes
all over them.  RRI was supposedly at 307 degrees to Europe according to
AOKI.  Again, I seem to have caught the back lobe.  Interesting talk about
Romanian refusing to wear seat belts and new smoking regulations that were
introduced.  I can relate as a cigar smoker....I am banned from nearly
everywhere in the US and some European countries now.  I also remember the
Italian T-shirts that came out with a seat belt imprint on them so it would
look like the person is wearing one to the average passerby and traffic
cameras, LOL.

11905  PORTUGAL, RdP International, heard at 1649 October 5th in Portuguese
with a football game and 2 very excited sportscasters.  This is supposedly a
75 degree beam according to AOKI, which leaves me an extremely side lobe or
off the back, but signal strength was excelent and no QRM.  Definitely not
longpath DX either as no heavy flutter or echo.

73s de Al

"Everything secret degenerates, even the administration of justice;
nothing is safe that does not show how it can bear discussion and
publicity."
 - Lord Acton

Order your WRTH 2008: