[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs October 20, 2008

[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs October 20, 2008

** AFGHANISTAN [non]. This will require further checking, but I suspect R. Solh has finally changed its music after more than a year! Good reception via UK Oct 20 at 1348 tune-in, when the CD is normally stuck/skipping for another minute. Instead started some new music without skipping, and tho of the same enjoyable genre, unseemed any longer to be exactly the same selexions as played every day at the same times. Also before 1400 included an announcement by a YL I had not heard before. This A-season transmission at 1200-1800 is normally replaced in B-season by 15265 at 1200-1500, but so far unconfirmed, so we better enjoy it on 17700 while we can (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** BRAZIL. 9565, Oct 20 at 0544, mention of ``Igreja Deus é Amor`` as soon as I tuned in, so tuned out. But not usually heard here; no residual jamming against R. Martí, but some splatter from a strong RHC on 9550. WRTH says R. Tupi, Curitiba, but it`s degraded into just another gospel huxter, like so many other once distinctive Brazilian SW stations (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CANADA [and non]. Shortly after sunrise I can usually detect CFRX in clear on 6070, but at night it`s blown away by CVC Chile. At times, however, CFRX manages to make its presence known by producing a SAH on CVC: Oct 20 at 0625 I counted one of 210/minute = 3.5 Hz. Make that presumed, as it could have been from ELWA or something else (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISGTENING DIGEST)

** CONGO DR [non]. 11690, VG signal in French at 0555 Oct 20, ``Radiokapi`` jingles, ``des Grands-Lacs à la mer`` slogan, news about Brazzaville, but I tuned in too late: cut off abruptly at 0558:25* in the middle of a sentence. Geez, another station which fails to coördinate between studio and transmitter, which is Meyerton, nominally 0400-0600, 250 kW at 342 degrees per Aoki; CIRAF target is 52, i.e. per
http://www.itu.int/ITU-R/terrestrial/broadcast/images/broad-ciraf2.gif
includes most but not all of both Congos, Zambia, Gabon, Angola. Who draws these wacky boundaries, anyway? Previous inspection of Okapi`s Hirondelle website indicated it focuses only on Congo-Kinshasa, not -Brazzaville. SENTECH just says ``Central Africa`` as target, in French/various, while Aoki says French and Lingala. For B-08 this transmission continues and the other one will be at 16-17 on 9635 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CUBA. No respite from the DentroCuban Jamming Command this Monday morning, when they normally take a break along with Radio Martí; still grinding away on 6030 at 0627 Oct 20; this was a mixture of several sites making a continuous buzz, rather than distinct pulsing from one site. So much for DXing other stations on 6030 once a week. Also was still jamming nothing on 7405.

RHC relents a bit on Sunday nights with more music, less propaganda; UT Monday Oct 20 at 0630, Lina Valverde was opening ``Jazz Place`` show in English to feature Emiliano Salvador, pianista, but talktalktalk before getting to the music. Wonder of wonders, modulation was OK without hum on 6140, and just about identical on all three, 6140, 6060 and 6000, with the last slightly weaker; also audible weakly on mixing product 6220 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CZECHIA. R. Praga, 13580, Oct 20 at 1417 in Spanish, partly translating something from Czech. Almost as good as English an hour earlier. Somehow this transmission had escaped my notice; I see in Aoki they keep changing azimuth on 13580: 1300 English 290, 1330 French 199, 1400 Spanish 245, 1430 Russian 80. In B-08 same pattern will shift one hour later, not including Russian, so English at 1400, French 1430, Spanish 1500 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** EGYPT. Surprised to hear Arabic on 6290, at the late hour of 0622 Oct 20, M&W dialog, with ute pulse QRM, and quite different modulation from Polisario chanting neighbor on 6300. Surely it`s Cairo, which in A-08 is scheduled on 6290 at 1100-0300 per all online schedules. However, in B-08, 6290 runs from 1900 to 0700, so looks like they have already gone to the new schedule a week early. Was starting to fade down as it`s well after sunrise in Egypt (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** INDONESIA. VOI, Day 6 on 9526, Oct 20 at 1302 opening English late; previous hour in Indonesian had usual het from 9525, presumed Poland/Wertachtal, but the het stayed on! VOI was still atop, but should be nothing else during the English hour. 9525 signal also had some modulation but could not separate it. Hope it`s not a precursor of something unexpected in B-08. Another possibility: VOI QRMing itself with a second transmitter on air at same time. By 1342 the het from 9525 was gone, but VOI still hummy during music (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** KOREA SOUTH [non]. KBS World Radio in Spanish (pronouncing the KBS as in Spanish, the World Radio as in English), 6045 via Sackville, Oct 20 at 0628 closing with Spanish transmission schedule, but cut off in the middle of it at 0629*, this time without any RCI IS or ID. Yet another station which doesn`t manage to coördinate programming from studio with axual transmission times. Is no one paying attention? Does no one give a damn? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** NEW ZEALAND. It`s an off-week for Mailbox, but I checked RNZI anyway Monday Oct 20 at 1330 on 6170 for the alternate program, listed as Spectrum. But was already in a remote report from a reserve on the coast about storm damage, seals, with plenty of location sound. Maybe National Radio relay instead? Unseems so with BBC programme ``Let the Good Times Roll`` scheduled.

So what is Spectrum about? That was once the name of another DX program. I listened via webcast for the repeat at 1630, and it turned out this was indeed Spectrum, from the coast near Wellington, looking out on Cook Strait, interviewing a ranger, except it too started early at 1629. Faded show out at 1650 for bell bird IS, frequency change on SW, irrelevant on web. 1652 to Maori chant, drumming, ID and music, no mention of frequencies, opening morning programme prior to 1700 news in English, 1708 French. Actually Pacific Press Review, on schedule in French for Mondays only at 1708-1750. Or less? Searching the grid for anything else in French we find only the same show UT Sundays at 2115-2135, or rather the next program starts 20 minutes after it starts. Oops, already back in English at 1714, so the French is only about 6 minutes, something you cannot tell from the way their schedules are presented.

Guess what, the current one-week schedule effective from Oct 19 does not show any frequency change break at 1650, but at 1550 and 1850! In the next schedule, however, effective Oct 26 there will be a change at 1650; once again, RNZI programming is out of synch with its own transmissions. And the B-08 is different from the one-week sked, not just an early start.

Here`s the upcoming B-08 schedule now posted on their website, tidied:

26 Oct 2008 - 28 Mar 2009
0459-0658 11725 AM & 15720 DRM Pacific
0659-1058  9765 AM &  9870 DRM Pacific
1059-1258 13840 AM &  9870 DRM NW Pacific, Bougainville, PNG, Timor
1258-1358 13840 AM             NW Pacific, Bougainville, PNG, Timor
1300-1550  6170 AM             Pacific
1551-1650  6170 AM &  7145 DRM NE Pacific, Fiji, Samoa, Cook Islands
1650-1750  9765 AM &  9890 DRM NE Pacific, Fiji, Samoa, Cook Islands
1750-1950 11725 AM & 11675 DRM NE Pacific, Tonga, Fiji, Samoa, Cook Is
1951-2235 17675 AM & 15720 DRM Pacific
2236-0458 15720 AM & 17675 DRM Pacific
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** PORTUGAL. DRM on 13655-13660-13665, Oct 20 at 1423, interfering with some analog station on 13665, evidently Moldova site. DW via Sines is scheduled with DRM at 90 degrees, 35 kW, On Oct 20, 23-25 only (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** SOUTH AFRICA. 11640 with choral music Oct 20 at 0603, seems English? only fair signal. 0605 into talk in English with African accent, deep fades. Is PWBR any help? In this case, probably: shows TWR via South Africa in English at 0600-0630. But this year+old stuff has to be confirmed with current online info, and later found same but scheduled 0600-0645, 500 kW, 320 degrees from Meyerton. Yet this was nowhere as good as Okapi a few minutes earlier with 250 kW at 340 degrees. Aoki clarifies schedule as M-F 0600-0645, Sat/Sun 0600-0615. SENTECH B08 shows TWR the same, target as Nigeria (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) Or should we file TWR as NORTH CAROLINA [non]?

** U S A. WRMI, 9955 with amazingly strong and clear signal Oct 20 at 0547, S9+20 and no jamming --- but that did not last long, as WRMI faded a bit and jamming again audiblized. Wonder if they were on NW antenna, unlikely; just enhanced propagation? Was a Cuban music program, gave street address in Miami, but which? Trova Libre? WRMI program schedule is no help: for M-F 1-2 am [EDT] says ``Repeats of DX and other programs/Repeticiones de programas DX, etc.``

Later, Jeff White explains: Glenn: That's punto guajiro music. It was a repeat of A Favor de la Justicia. We were on the corner reflector (south) at that time. Jeff (Glenn Hauser, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. WWCR with good signal on 15825, so must be off-season sporadic E, Oct 20 at 1320 when Tony Alámo was speaking. I listened for a few minutes to try to get an idea of where he is coming from. Nothing about his sexual/legal problems, but really talking down to his imaginary audience, faking `classy` British accent now and then, really cynical-sounding, quite unpleasant (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. WHX672, Brownsville TX, private coastal station on 6224-SSB, Oct 20 at 1337 in contact with various skippers, barges? With call signs of W plus 2 letters, 4 numbers, mostly in English, but some in Spanish. Mostly just radio chex, no traffic, but they obviously know each other personally; ETA at dock. At times sounded like Cajun accents. See my previous report in DXLD 8-024 last February. Guess what? In the UDXF yg, eight months later, mine is still the only posting out of 17,050 with a hit on this callsign. Seems most of the UDXF guys are far more interested in monitoring esoteric digital modes than plain old voice, vice versa for me (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) ###

http://mail.yahoo.com

Order your WRTH 2008: