[HCDX] Logs for Al Muick for 26 October

QTH:	Kabul, Afghanistan
RX:	WinRadio G303e
ANT:	100m longwire
ACC:	Palstar MW-550P mediumwave preselector

1170	UAE, R. Sawa in AR heard at 17.51 on 26 Oct.  800kW.  Interviews and
news in Arabic.  Fair signal.

1323	CHINA, CRI heard in English talk and commentary at 17.26 on 26 Oct.
Signals weak but pulled out of the dirt by MW-550P.  Power at 100kW.  Played
a lot of 70s/80s pop music.

1332	PAKISTAN, PBC Lahore, Program in Urdu with interviews and light
music, heard at 17:18 on 26 Oct.  Weak signals even with MW-550P
pre-selector.

6137.5  UNID, Shortly after I rolled off of 6140 below around 14.00, there
appeared a strange set of carriers between PBS Xizang and R. Pakistan.  At
first I thought it was some sort of multichannel UTE, but it sounded like 1
KhZ test tones, but I couldn't zero-beat it.  Turns out it's a spur!  AND
(!) it needs FM wide (6 kHz) to be received at any intelligibility.  Not
true FM, but more like angle (phase) modulation.  Sounds like Hindi, but the
one song was almost south-seas like.  The music had wow and flutter to it
like it was off one of the older Studor 10 inch reel machines.  Male and
female announcers in light-hearted banter.  No time pips on the hour and the
last song before the hour sounded like Curly Howard trying to sing opera.

6140	PAKISTAN, R. Pakistan World Service, s/on at 13.30 in Urdu on 26
Oct.  Not even listed on their new B08 sked on their website, yet there they
were.  S4 sigs until beat down by PBS Xizang on 6130.  Stumbled across this
while looking for R.Gloria Intl. via Wertachtal.  Tuned in at 1315 and there
was nothing but a 1 kHz test tone (nice sidebands!) at about S3/S4, so I
hung out, waiting for something to happen.  13.27 R. Pakistan World service
signed on.  Not even so much as a carrier or a heterodyne from Gloria was
detectable.

Interesting evening for DX.  I was really disappointed about not being able
to hear R. Gloria International and the Latvia Today show on 9290 appears as
only a weak carrier here which I am just able to zero-beat.  I guess I can't
have everything!

73 de Al

"After two years in Washington, I often long for the realism and
sincerity of Hollywood."
 - Fred Thompson, Speech before the Commonwealth Club of California

Order your WRTH 2008: