[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs October 30-31, 2008

[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs October 30-31, 2008

** ALBANIA. R. Tirana missing from 9345 at 2140 check Oct 30, nor heard later at several chex such as 0115. We learned later that the Shijak-1 transmitter is down, so that leaves only Shijak-2 available for all external service broadcasting, one frequency at a time. Meanwhile, we are looking for a better 7 MHz frequency than 9345 when the transmitter comes back. 13720 also absent at 1535 check Oct 31 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** AUSTRIA. R. Austria International, 13730, Oct 31 at 1310 in German tho I was expecting English. Non-// 17855 inaudible. It would be nice if RAI would put English on at reliable same times every day; is that too much to ask? Yes, we are lucky they are still doing any English at all until the big turn-off Dec 31 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CHINA. 9000, Firedrake, poor at 1257 Oct 31; no signal at 1303 recheck, cut back on at *1305. This is the usual top-of-hour monitoring pause. Got to hand it to the DentroChinese Jamming Command, able to DX low-power ham transmitters of Sound of Hope when we can hear nothing, thus tying up jammers (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CUBAN. The wacky DentroCuban Jamming Command continues to run its noise-makers on frequencies long abandoned by hostile broadcasts, or far beyond the hours currently in use, thus causing collateral damage and wasting precious worthless Cuban pesos, not to mention scads of electricity which could be better used by the unfortunate Cuban populace, about to celebrate a semi-century of oppression. Jamming real broadcasts is bad enough, but these incompetents also expend countless kWh jamming nothing.

Bandscanning Oct 31, I found: at 0620, pulse jamming on 9885, 9825, 9640 (VOA, Martí, República, but never on at this hour!); more pulse jamming but of a slightly higher pitch and slightly higher rate on 9600 and 9565. Probably the 120 vs 132 per minute rates I have previously counted.

9600 is interesting, as I am not aware of any previous or current exile broadcasting on that frequency; in fact, it is used by RHC itself at certain hours. This could mean that there is a new anti-Castro-Castro service on 9600 sometime during the 24 hours. I was also hearing DCJC on 9600 spreading plus/minus 15 kHz, Oct 30 at 2158 as Vatican Radio was trying to sign on in Chinese.

At 1258, Cuban pulse jamming audible on 9885, 9825, 9805, 9640 (VOA, Martí, Martí, República, but again, never at this hour!). Also heavy jamming as usual on 9955 against WRMI.

A-season-only Martí frequency 11845 is also still jammed, at 1338 check Oct 31 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** HAWAII. Looking for AFN Pearl Harbor on 6350-USB, Oct 31 at 1330, nothing audible, just the Korean mess on 6348, Echo of Hope and jamming. I again suspect AFN has completely stopped using 6350; it`s certainly a bad spot with Aoki A08 showing the 6348 Korean conflict at 03-05, 11-19, and Oct 5-13 only at 22-24 UT. But it also shows AFN LA via PH on 6350 at 15-23, which would be mostly daytime in Hawaii, and 10320 at 23-15 UT.

Has anyone heard 6350 in months? 10320 was not audible at this time but could have been on and not propagating. I had previously noted 10320 well after 0600 UT, i.e. ``night`` in Hawaii. Both are still on the listing at http://myafn.dodmedia.osd.mil/ShortWave.aspx

as well as http://www.npr.org/worldwide/shortwave.html
but that is even more out of date, still listing Keflavik, Iceland, which closed a few years ago, on the same two frequencies! (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** INDONESIA. VOI missed another day, Oct 31, nothing on 9526 during the 13 UT hour in English, nor anything audible on 11785v. Hope it`s just one more temporary breakdown, like Oct 26.

RRI Makassar, 4750, with phone/studio conversation in Indonesian, including ``salaam aleikum``, QRMing CODAR and another broadcaster under, reading S9+15 but still hard to copy. 4790 Fak2 also audible weaker with music, hi-pitch, off-key singing, which no doubt in the Indonesian context, is on-key, unless they have something like our TV ``talent`` shows (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** JAPAN [and non]. NHK World, Radio Japan, 11705 now collides with VOA: Oct 31 at 1339 heard both at about equal level, VOA News in English, and Japanese song, 1340 Indonesian announcement, the two making a slow SAH of less than 1 Hz. VOA is Tinang, 349 degrees to zones 43 and 44, central and eastern China, while NHK is Yamata, 235 degrees to zones 49, 50 and 54, i.e. SE Asia, Philippines and Indonesia except New Guinea. So the two signals cross over SE China, and are bound to interfere with each other in the target areas. Who signed off on this `share`? Well, there are no duplications in the specified CIRAF zones, so it must be OK! At least VOA is off at 1400, so R. Japan can only interfere with itself via Sackville (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** KURDISTAN [non]. V. of Mesopotamia, 11530 via Moldova, Oct 31 at 1341, sounds like sports play-by-play enthusiasm, with heavy flutter, but no QRM de WYFR. I thought WYFR would not have closed until nominal 1345* and it was totally dominant earlier in the hour, in Portuguese. Now VOM has problems from WEWN 11520 squeal extending plus/minus 18 kHz (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** PHILIPPINES. I don`t notice this when VOI is on 9526, but in its absence Oct 31, 9520 had slow ballad by YL in S Asian language; 1348 brief announcement and more vocal music at slightly increased tempo. B-08 schedule shows R. Veritas Asia, 280 degrees in Sinhala at 1330-1357, then Tamil (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** SOUTH CAROLINA [non]. Brother Scare audible on 6370 peaking at S9+10 level but doesn`t sound that loud, Oct 31 at 0609, 2 x 3185 WWRB where the signal is so strong it`s hard to get an accurate S-meter reading on the FRG-7. Others have reported this harmonic before, but this may be the first time I`ve heard it. Unlike 3185, some fading is noticeable on 6370. Now that he`s on WWRB 3270 earlier in the evening, another harmonic is likely on 6540 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. More QSO on WMRI: Sounded like Ted Randall on WRMI early Friday at 0618 UT Oct 31, interviewing YL about space station, good signal and NO jamming. I guess Jeff put in an extra repeat to fill time. Can we rely on it for a while and when does it start and end? 73, (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. Re my log of a Coast Guard net chaired by Chesapeake, on 7530 and 11436 SSB, it occurred to me that Chesapeake could be the name of a vessel rather than a shore station. Googling it, I indeed found such a vessel:
http://www.cgblog.org/2007/12/uscg-photo-of-week-cgc-chesapeake-wlv.html

``Photo of the Lightship Chesapeake. Mr. Leonhardt's caption: USCGC Chesapeake WLV-116 Baltimore MD 13 Oct 2007``. Is WLV-116 a radio callsign or just some other designator? A noisy bridge might account for the squeal I was hearing (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** VATICAN. VR, 9600, Oct 30 at 2158 IS, but bothered by inexplicable Cuban jamming centered here, then sign-on as ``Laudetur`` i.e. Latin slogan plus some Chinese words, GBDT, what a mix! (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) ###

Order your WRTH 2008: